cymbal question for hard-hitters !!!

ENRICO

Silver Member
which thickness have you found harder to brake :
thin , medium-thin , medium or medium heavy

I have played for ten years mainly rock , I have good technique (my teacher and other drummers say so ) but I've broken 3 cymbals , they were medium and medium heavy and all were 16" , may the size has something to do with that .

I just want to know about your experiences , if you want you can talk about particular brands or models or other drummers experiences

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
IMHO if you're hitting that hard, a 16" is not going to produce the volume you appear to be after. And since it can't, my guess is you're hitting it even harder trying to get more out of it.

Try an 18" or 19".

And try something heavy, like a Zildjian Z series, or Paiste Rude.

ENRICO

Silver Member
IMHO if you're hitting that hard, a 16" is not going to produce the volume you appear to be after. And since it can't, my guess is you're hitting it even harder trying to get more out of it.

Try an 18" or 19".

And try something heavy, like a Zildjian Z series, or Paiste Rude.
i thought the same , so now I use 18 and 20" crashes . and I them just hard enough to make them open . but I've always have the doubt about what would be harder to brake a thin cymbal (because is more flexible) or a thicker crash (because it's stronger )

PeniScott

Silver Member
I'd definitely agree that the Z custom's seem to be a good choice. All are very thick, very heavy and take quite an effort to open up. But when they do, they REALLY open up. they're so loud and bright, i love them. I've got a 16" medium crash. i Wouldn't recommend any of the rock crashes, or medium crash above 18" simply because of the volume and sustain they produce.

Definitely can withstand a beating though!
xoxo

Evilbagua

Silver Member
I play like 98% Z custom and I have broken a 12 inch splash and a 20 inch china However both were repaired and still sound alright (Very small crackage). I guess I hit pretty hard and used the china like a ride a lot though. I find the Z's have held up very well for me especially the bigger crashes.