Cymbal pkg weight is 1 lb…should I panic yet?

Ok, it was legit the cymbal…I can breathe easy. Just got it and tried it out…sounds good to me, although the crash is a little dark and the ride is a little bright. That’s OK…doesn’t sound like my other cymbals and does sound good. But I’m not sure that it sounds like my friend’s cymbal. I’ll find out this weekend. But I remember his being a little brighter with the crash.

And that’s my 3 minute review.

Thank God Seinfeld GIF by HULU

How often are people using FB market for used gear? I hardly follow it and I don't use facebook. But I see a few barn finds, I guessing the older crowd likes it better than reverb?

How often are people using FB market for used gear? I hardly follow it and I don't use facebook. But I see a few barn finds, I guessing the older crowd likes it better than reverb?
Seems like people used to sell more locally more on FB, but now that they have a proper storefront, more people ship stuff.

Seems like people used to sell more locally more on FB, but now that they have a proper storefront, more people ship stuff.
I crosschecked a few items to see if they were selling on craigslist or not but they weren't. Perhaps I should pay bit more attention then since some of the best deals are the local stuff.

Liking it more and more with usage, figuring out the best ways to play it. Bell is a tad fussy about where you hit it but dings nicely, ride is a bit fussy about hitting it hard and washing too much but sounds great in the zone, and I love having a darker big crash since both of my current ones are bright. Fell in love with longer crashes, and this one skirts the line between long enough and too long, which suits me fine.

I crosschecked a few items to see if they were selling on craigslist or not but they weren't. Perhaps I should pay bit more attention then since some of the best deals are the local stuff.
I got sweet deals on two of the four orphan drums in my Ludwig kit, and one was local. Nothing amazing but less than usual.

And how could I forget pics? I didn't...I just wanted some quality time first...

AAX 20 Studio Ride top.JPGAAX 20 Studio Ride Bottom.JPG

Might have to clean that bottom side, but it's in great shape otherwise. No keyholes, dings or fleabites. And of course, I had to make it a 4-cymbal setup...just for comparison's sake...

Drums with new cymbal.JPG

Time to annoy the neighbors again!

Liking it more and more with usage, figuring out the best ways to play it. Bell is a tad fussy about where you hit it but dings nicely, ride is a bit fussy about hitting it hard and washing too much but sounds great in the zone, and I love having a darker big crash since both of my current ones are bright. Fell in love with longer crashes, and this one skirts the line between long enough and too long, which suits me fine.
Glad you like it. It sounds like experimenting with small pieces of tape in various spots could turn this one into the only cymbal you need (don't use a sticky tape that leaves residue until you've found the perfect spot). :)

Glad you like it. It sounds like experimenting with small pieces of tape in various spots could turn this one into the only cymbal you need (don't use a sticky tape that leaves residue until you've found the perfect spot). :)
Funny you mention tape…there’s a large tape spot on the bottom side that the seller cleaned but still shows up. And I can’t find my bottle of Bar Keeper’s Friend!

I’m one step ahead of you though…tried a window clingy in a few different places. I like it but don’t think I found the recipe yet. A little muffling goes a long way with this cymbal, and even a small dot clingy can be too much in the wrong place. So figuring that out is high for today’s agenda.

Also noticed that it reacts to different tips more than my other cymbals. Likes wood better than nylon. But I hate how perfectly good sticks get ruined by mushy wood tips much quicker than nylon tips, and I don’t want to switch back now that I’m so stocked up on nylon.

Funny you mention tape…there’s a large tape spot on the bottom side that the seller cleaned but still shows up. And I can’t find my bottle of Bar Keeper’s Friend!
It might never go away. I've got a Turkish K with a tape stain. It's there for good, no matter what I try to clean it with it wont come off.

It might never go away. I've got a Turkish K with a tape stain. It's there for good, no matter what I try to clean it with it wont come off.
I think you’re right. I got a new bottle of BKF and that tape stain isn’t coming off even a little. None of the stains are except a small section of dirt around the edge. Oh well, I guess it helped me get a lower price, and I’m all about lower prices ;)

Have you tried a magic eraser to hit stain?

Have to admit that this cymbal is taking some getting used to for me. I like that it’s different sounding from my others, but for a darkish low pitch crash, it’s really brash. I’m experimenting with tape, and the difference between an area with tape and one without is immense. Makes me think if I go with tape that it needs to be symmetrical as I don’t like surprises.

But until I get to wind it out with a band, I can’t come to any conclusions. I think I’ll take it to the blues jam on Sunday and see what happens. Could be it’s all in a frequency range that sounds awesome with a band. But it sure can be intense in isolation.

Back