cymbal/percussive phasing sound?

voyager

I have this album by avant-garde percussionist Han Bennink and in a few of the songs it sounds like his cymbals are processed by phasers or something, but considering it's Han I seriously doubt he has ever used any sort of external processing.

Here listen to a preview of the track "Traps 2" or "Stones" and you'll hear what I mean.
http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/window/media/page/0,,1140874-3714890,00.html

I really like the sound and want to achieve it. Someone told me you could achieve this by placing cymbal mics at level with the cymbals and like 6-7 inches away, and when you hit the cymbal and it sways above and below the mic capsule it will create a phasing sound, but I don't know if this is true.

Does anyone know how to achive this effect?

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
If I email recordings that I have made and I put them in the poorest form of MP3 format, Normally used for voice only. I get a similar cymbal sound. Thats the only way to get that Phase Shifting sound that I know.

PBW

The phasing sound you hear is the side effect of the music being converted to MP3 with a really crappy bitrate - I'll bet that if you heard the CD version of it there would be no phasing.

:)

eddiehimself

Platinum Member
The phasing sound you hear is the side effect of the music being converted to MP3 with a really crappy bitrate - I'll bet that if you heard the CD version of it there would be no phasing.

:)
Yeah basically digital music relies on samples. For a smaple to work, there must be at least 2 samples for one wave, that's why it is 44.1khz. If you put it at a lower bitrate you're effectively reducing that sample rate, since a cymbal occupies the higher end of the frequency spectrum it is what is most affected by a low bitrate. Most other instruments are lower so the effect is not as pronounced, leading you to perhaps that it's only the cymbals that have this problem.