Cymbal on tom mount

Haboon

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone makes use of that extra hole in tom mounts? I see more companies doing them these days and got all giddy about the idea but then realised I had a stage custom with the double tom mount plus hole for cymbal stand and never once used it.

Does anyone make use of these things??

If you do what do you use it for?

I’ve a Catalina club jazz on the way and I’m wondering about mounting a ride on that extra hole. Part of me doesn’t lithe idea of the weight of a 20” ride on a boom arm putting strain in the rosette.

Any experiences?

I always use the tom mount on my Yamaha Live Custom for a crash-ride cymbal using a short boom arm mount. I do this for both the four piece and five piece configuration. I typically bring three or four cymbals depending on space for the band. Two 18 inch crash cymbals (both work well as a rides), Ride cymbal (20-22 inches that are also crashable) and space permitting a 20 inch China cymbal. If space is limited I usually mount a China Splash over (on top of) the crash cymbal mounted on the bass drum.

I also mount a cell phone off the cymbal pipe to view the BPM during a song (Live BPM app on android and IOS).

I have a multi clamp that I use to mount a cymbal on my Gretsch Brooklyn Micro kit (4 piece).

Here is a video with the Gretsch Brooklyn Micro using a multi clamp for the cymbal mounted on the 16 inch Bass Drum:

Attachments

• Bass Drum Tom Mount.jpg
    Bass Drum Tom Mount.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 15
Never did that on a gig, not even for a small crash. But I did take it one step further for a video shoot....

_drum_coolcrazyvid.jpg

I do this all the time. I have a Yamaha post with short boom mounted in the extra hole on my Gretsch RN2 tom mount. Currently, I have a 16" Bosphorus effects cymbal in that position. I love the flexibility that is provided with the tom mount, adding a cymbal without another free standing stand.

EDIT: my 16" effects cymbal is quite thin and very light... has 6 big holes in it.

Last edited:
I have a circa 2000 (mostly) first gen Stage Custom kit with the three hole mounts. On the bass drum mount I have a 12” splash along with the two toms. I haven’t used the third hole on the stand mount for my 10” tom and a 16” crash. I may see if an 8” splash would work there. But I would avoid putting anything heavier than the splash on the bass drum mount.

Mounting a ride cymbal on the bass drum is totally doable. My thin poplar 22” handled it just fine, but the drum will amplify it some and I didn’t care for the sound. I mount a crash from the bass and have my ride on its own stand.

I run a 22 inch ride off of my Tom mount on my Tama. And I used to use a small splash in the third tom hole of my Yamaha kit.

I always use the tom mount on my Yamaha Live Custom for a crash-ride cymbal using a short boom arm mount. I do this for both the four piece and five piece configuration. I typically bring three or four cymbals depending on space for the band. Two 18 inch crash cymbals (both work well as a rides), Ride cymbal (20-22 inches that are also crashable) and space permitting a 20 inch China cymbal. If space is limited I usually mount a China Splash over (on top of) the crash cymbal mounted on the bass drum.

I also mount a cell phone off the cymbal pipe to view the BPM during a song (Live BPM app on android and IOS).

I have a multi clamp that I use to mount a cymbal on my Gretsch Brooklyn Micro kit (4 piece).

Here is a video with the Gretsch Brooklyn Micro using a multi clamp for the cymbal mounted on the 16 inch Bass Drum:
Cheers for the info, and nice to see it in action

I do this all the time. I have a Yamaha post with short boom mounted in the extra hole on my Gretsch RN2 tom mount. Currently, I have a 16" Bosphorus effects cymbal in that position. I love the flexibility that is provided with the tom mount, adding a cymbal without another free standing stand.

EDIT: my 16" effects cymbal is quite thin and very light... has 6 big holes in it.
Cheers for clarifying the weight. My ride is medium weight i guess you’d say and cantilevered on a boom could be too much. But then someone else says it works fine. So I’ll have to try it out and see

Mounting a ride cymbal on the bass drum is totally doable. My thin poplar 22” handled it just fine, but the drum will amplify it some and I didn’t care for the sound. I mount a crash from the bass and have my ride on its own stand.
Good to know about the amplification issue

I mount a 16" crash cymbal on my Renown's tom holder and it works wonderfully. Unfortunately, doing this on any of the Yamaha sets I've owned choked one or both of the toms. It seems to be an issue with the YESS mounts. Even my super premium Birch Custom Absolutes fell prey to the issue, so it isn't exclusively a problem with the lower end sets. Maybe the later generations of YESS mounts are immune to the problem. I don't know.

It's not all bad news, mind you. With a LOT of patience you can mitigate the choking issue by moving things around 1mm at a time until you find some balance, and this works if your Yamaha set is a studio queen that never moves. All bets are off the minute you tear down and move the set, naturally.

Last edited:
The only thing I noticed with using the hole in the Yamaha mount is the (sometimes sympathetic, often not) ringing of the splash mounted to it.

This can be overcome by using a device like the CRS attatchement, which isolates the cymbal from a stand or mount.

Never had any issues (or heard anny issues when working dor the company) in regards to choking sounds when the third hole is being used.

I would not use a larger cymbal like a heavy crash, or a ride on the bass drum, eapecially if its thin shell’ed and/or has a tom on it already.

I have done it a few times but never felt satisfied with the results. I found it awkward running a boom next to a tom arm and didn't like the way it change the tone

I'm keen on a cymbal arm mount at 2-3 oclock

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone makes use of that extra hole in tom mounts? I see more companies doing them these days and got all giddy about the idea but then realised I had a stage custom with the double tom mount plus hole for cymbal stand and never once used it.

Does anyone make use of these things??

If you do what do you use it for?

I’ve a Catalina club jazz on the way and I’m wondering about mounting a ride on that extra hole. Part of me doesn’t lithe idea of the weight of a 20” ride on a boom arm putting strain in the rosette.

Any experiences?
I have both a stage custom for gigging and a recording custom for studio and I run the same set up on both. I have a cymbal tree growing out of that 3rd hole. So far I haven't had a problem and I've gigged with it hundreds of times. I have a splash between a 17 and 18 inch crash.Drum pic.jpg

@xopherhills Wow there’s a lot happening there. And you’ve never had an issue with the rosette?
You don’t have the cymbals at too extreme a length on the boom which might be helping. Thanks for the pic, cool kit

Just had a closer look and you do have those booms at their full extension which is interesting. Guess I’ll noodle around with different set ups and see what works

Last edited:
I´ve tried it a couple of times and unfortunately I don´t like it.
One, it deadens the sound of the bass drum.
Two, I play my bass drum without any muffling and what happens is that playing the cymbal (cowbell, temple block, whatever) excites the bass drum heads which makes for a weird resonance. Likewise, playing the bass drum excites the cymbal. This is pretty annoying in quiet situations (which is always for me).

@xopherhills Wow there’s a lot happening there. And you’ve never had an issue with the rosette?
You don’t have the cymbals at too extreme a length on the boom which might be helping. Thanks for the pic, cool kit

Just had a closer look and you do have those booms at their full extension which is interesting. Guess I’ll noodle around with different set ups and see what works
No issues so far. I'm always looking for ways to consolidate and schlep less stuff. This works for me for now!

Back