cymbal hiss....

jaykaydrums

Silver Member
ever had a cymbal start "hissing" at you while you're playing, but when you check it you cant find any cracks or splits anywhere on it whatsoever? had that happen at my last gig and tonight at rehearsals, yet theres not cracks i can see or feel anywhere on it.

its not rubbing against the metal of the stands either, so im at a loss as to why it sounds broke when it isnt.

very odd

ever had a cymbal start "hissing" at you while you're playing, but when you check it you cant find any cracks or splits anywhere on it whatsoever? had that happen at my last gig and tonight at rehearsals, yet theres not cracks i can see or feel anywhere on it.

its not rubbing against the metal of the stands either, so im at a loss as to why it sounds broke when it isnt.

very odd

Is this a really quiet acoustic gig?

There may be a hairline crack that follows the grooves and is therefore difficult to find. I had a ride that buzzed, and it took several close looks before I stumbled upon the crack.

Might be easier to detect by checking the underside of the cymbal.

Besides the above suggestions, you may want to flex the cymbal to see the crack.

I had a 16" crash that went dead, so I knew it was cracked, but I absolutely could not see anything. Finally, I decided to gently flex the cymbal by hand, and I could just barely see the crack opening up that way.

This was a deeply lathed cymbal, btw, and the crack was completely hidden in the lathe lines.

On a bright day, take it outside and hold it up to the sun and look at it. Some cracks are easier to spot this way.

Is this a really quiet acoustic gig?
nope, loud 70s/80s pop-rock cover band.

Some cracks aren't really visible unless you use a spray dye penetrant. Sometimes a specific spray cleaner is included.
After cleaning, you spray on the dye, let it sit for a while, then wipe the excess off.
Fine cracks should show up clearly. Cymbal lathing might complicate matters though.
do you have a dye to suggest? as im drawing a blank as to what i could use :/

There may be a hairline crack that follows the grooves and is therefore difficult to find. I had a ride that buzzed, and it took several close looks before I stumbled upon the crack.

Might be easier to detect by checking the underside of the cymbal.
good advice, shall give it a check now and see what happens

Besides the above suggestions, you may want to flex the cymbal to see the crack.

I had a 16" crash that went dead, so I knew it was cracked, but I absolutely could not see anything. Finally, I decided to gently flex the cymbal by hand, and I could just barely see the crack opening up that way.

This was a deeply lathed cymbal, btw, and the crack was completely hidden in the lathe lines.
didnt think of flexing it, will give it a try now! :)

If it doesn't have rivets in it, sounds like a developing crack.
more than likely is a devloping crack, as its unriveted.

Do you have a sleeve on it? Is the hole rubbing on the threaded part of the stand? Felts on it?
yep, i replace the sleeves regularly when they start to wear, and all my stands have decent felts and wingnuts on :)

Your cymbal has started to hiss at you?

I suggest an excorsism
do you know any good priests? it hasnt vomited green at me yet!!

On a bright day, take it outside and hold it up to the sun and look at it. Some cracks are easier to spot this way.
bright days atm are few and far between here in the UK atm due to autumn weather being all topsy-turvy! :(

thanks all. funny thing is. when hit with my finger or a mallet it sounds perfectly fine, no hissing at all. i'll do what you guys suggested and flex it a bit, see if anything shows up

hokay, so......i flexed it, and did a high-powered torch test in the dark so i could see any lines where the light shone through.

nothing.....nada........zip. no splits or cracks on it at all.

going to replace the sleeves on my cymbal stands and see if that has any effect atg all, theyre not worn, but they are a bit short.

Back