Cymbal has developed a 'sizzle' sound - Cracked?

Max99

Hi guys.
So recently (the last couple of days) I have noticed my K Dark Medium Ride has developed a kind of sizzle sound... Now I've cracked a couple of cymbals before and this sounds kind of like that sizzle sound you get from a cracked crash.
I've scanned the cymbal all over and cannot see a crack anywhere...I even cleaned it so that it might appear clearer but nothing.
Is it possible this has just developed as the cymbal has 'worn in' or would you think that it is cracked?
Thanks
Max

MikeM

Platinum Member
Oh yeah, it's cracked! It might be really hard to find at first, but it's there. I suppose it could be a hardware issue, but I doubt it.

Hopefully, it's less than 2 years old and you still have the receipt?

Max99

I've tried it on all my various stands, so I guess it can't be a hardware issue. Damn :(
Yeah, fortunately I do.
The weird thing is it's not even 2 months old yet...And I have played it with small sticks really carefully :\
EDIT:
Just found the crack...It's right in one of the lathing lines... running along the line... Is it likely that zildjian will replace it?

MikeM

Platinum Member
Yeah, I'd put your chances of them replacing it at pretty near 100%. I've had a couple (okay, several) cymbals crack along the lathing and they've always replaced them without question. They're pretty good about that.

I tried that cymbal about a year ago (paid for it and brought it to band practice), great cymbal and crashes really well. Has a great wobble, too. But I was worried about cracking it and they don't come cheap, so I took a pass even though I thought it was a great cymbal.

Max99

Okay, brilliant. Thanks for your help! I'll get straight in touch with the seller to arrange a return.

Yeah it is a really beautiful cymbal... I'm just so surprised it did crack, the way I've been playing it.

MikeM

Platinum Member
You can actually call Zildjian directly. They'll give you an RA (return authorization) number and you can speed up the process a little bit that way. I had a drum shop guy let my cracked cymbal sit in his shop for a month before returning it - he wasn't into paying the shipping, apparently. I was a bit peeved by that.

Sounds like a defective cymbal. If you're not hammering on it and it goes that fast, I'm sure Zildjian won't take exception to replacing it right away.

Good luck!

Ian

Silver Member
A lathe line crack is most often a manufacturer issue. It will certainly be replaced. Edge cracks have more of a chance for being flagged as abuse.

Solaris

Silver Member
That's definitely a lathe line crack. Had the same happen to me and it took me 10 minutes of searching under bright light to find it.

It will definitely be replaced however, so all is not lost!

uniin

Gold Member
That's definitely a lathe line crack. Had the same happen to me and it took me 10 minutes of searching under bright light to find it.

It will definitely be replaced however, so all is not lost!
once it took me 2 weeks to find the crack in my meinl 22" heavy ride... lol that was within 1 week of purchase too

Max99

Thought I'd keep y'all updated on this!
So since I'm in the UK the returning process is a little different.
I've contacted my dealer, who has contacted their zildjian supplier... They will replace the cymbal, however I either have to wait til June for stock of it to arrive, or choose any other 22" K Ride to have it replaced with.
This actually seems great to me because I was kinda regretting getting this ride because it is much darker than the rest of my setup - So I've gone for a Regular 22" K Ride instead. :)

MikeM

Platinum Member
That sounds like an excellent solution. I like the regular K Rides. I have the 20" and love it. As I said, I tried the 22" K Medium Dark but I like my regular K better.

Max99

Yeah, I'm pretty pleased with this solution actually. It was hard choosing between the two, but I think the regular will be a better fit. Cannot wait for it to show up!

Max99

So I got my 22" K ride yesterday. First off, I was really amazed with how quickly it came through! This was literally the first day it could possibly have arrived after they got my broken cymbal due to all the bank holidays that will inevitably have wreaked havok in the UK economy this month.
Anyway - I'm really pleased with this cymbal.I seem to have gotten one that is slightly heavier than the standard K ride, since it does not crash as easily as some I have seen before, but I don't really see this as much of a problem since I have a K crash ride for that exact purpose. This cymbal has a really beautiful balance between ping and wash, and a really amazing clean cutting bell without being 'clangy' and it also swells up like a dream.