Cymbal damage

CreeplyTuna

Silver Member
This is sort of a spin-off thread of one I made about a broken hit hat I have. The short of it, is that a bought a used pair of 13" Zildjian K Custom Hybrid hats, and the top cracked after a few months. They weren't very tight or loose, somewhere in the middle to give me a little slosh but also control. I also don't try to demolish my cymbals, but i play hard rock and prog metal, so it's not like I'm playing smooth jazz. This leads me question if it's mostly my fault, the previous owners, or just a faulty pair of hats. I've drilled the crack, but I'm still planning on buying new top.

Now, I just recently I took it off the stand, and noticed that the threads on the clutch are stripped where the hat sits. This really stressed me out, because it's a tama roadpro that I bought along with the hats.

Do the threads on hi hat clutches have any affect on cymbals and can it damage them, because I know crashes and rides shouldn't touch metal while you're playing, is it the same with hats?

MikeM

Platinum Member
I've seen those kind of clutches before. I even have one but it only ever sits on my x-hat because I never use the thing (don't even have 2 pr hats anymore). Stupidest piece of drumkit engineering I've ever seen right there because, yes, of course they're going to key hole your top hat! Especially if your top hat is at all loose or sloshy (as mine tend to be). There should be a law banning such clutches. Other clutches are still metal to metal but without the threads at the point where the top hat sits, risk of damage to the cymbal is minimized.

Bummer about your top hat cracking. Don't those hats have a ripple bottom cymbal? I bought a pair of A Custom Mastersound hats off eBay that were 6 or 7 years old (and looked it!). Like you, I played them for a couple months before noticing a small crack at the edge. I don't know if it was me or if the previous owner had already weakened it or what (maybe it was already there and I just didn't notice it).

I have a little working theory about ripple bottom cymbals combined with thinner tops. I think it's a bad idea because it causes too much localized stress on the top cymbal bending sharply down into those little valleys. It's just a crazy idea of mine but I'm confident enough that it holds water to never buy that kind of hi hat combo again.

burn-4

I bought a second hand set of k hybrid hats and these also cracked after about a year- just bought a brand new pair and they seem ok so far
Mind you my clutch was quite tight before but conscious of making them looser nowadays to avoid it

Soupy

Silver Member
Remo makes a great clutch which uses a quick release fitting for the bottom nut, and has no threads next to the cymbal.

BigDinSD

Gold Member
I did a post about the clutch possibly keyholing hh cymbals about a year ago. Seemed like this would likely happen, especially with the sloshy tension on it.

Definitely stay away from the clutches that are threaded in the middle.

Did you say the damage came from keyholing or a crack on the edge?

I use a small section of thin tubing inside the cymbal that acts like a grommet between the clutch and cymbal hole. Works like a charm, and you can keep that sloshy - loose adjustment.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Can you guys provide an example of a hihat clutch that is threaded where the top hat sits?
I'm not sure how to imagine that.

I've thought about the metal-on-metal issue, too, and I think generally the flater a cymbal
(and hihats are mounted completely horizontal of course) sits the less key holing it will
ever get, right?

BigDinSD

Gold Member
Can you guys provide an example of a hihat clutch that is threaded where the top hat sits?
I'm not sure how to imagine that.

I've thought about the metal-on-metal issue, too, and I think generally the flater a cymbal
(and hihats are mounted completely horizontal of course) sits the less key holing it will
ever get, right?

A completely threaded hihat clutch would just have threads going the whole length of the clutch.

If you keep an eye on your top hh cymbal, sometimes they rotate a little - depending on the clutch tightness. My prior post did not report vary many people keyholing their top hats, so it's probably not an issue.

Just a thought though - you should always use a plastic cymbal stand sleeves on your threaded cymbal post for rides and crashes to protect against keyholing. That made me wonder if that could happen with your top HH if the clutch was loose on a sloshy setting which I am dialed into. I had just bought Zildjian Avedis MS HH's. Right after I cut a small piece of tubing for a grommet for the top HH.

BTW - I use a 2nd set of cymbals for practice after cracking an A Custom 20" crash. Ugly B8's work best :)