Cymbal Crack: WTF?

ermghoti

Silver Member
I know, they're metal sheets, and we hit them with sticks. That said, I have a 18" Sabian Vault crash, that sounds like a dream. Got it a couple years back, from eBay, I believe it was an in-store demo being retired, arrived without a mark on it, in a plastic sleeve.

Unfortunately, I have just noticed it has cracked. The WTF part is the nature of the crack. It has a crack perpendicular to the lathe lines, starting an inch away from the mounting hole, and extending to just shy of the reverse curve approaching the bow. I've never seen a break like this, there's no evidence of impact, the mounting device I use (Tama) makes it impossible to clamp tightly, and I can't think what else would stress the metal in this area.

Anybody else seen a break like that? Is it worth a call to Sabian?

joshisaces

Gold Member
I know, they're metal sheets, and we hit them with sticks. That said, I have a 18" Sabian Vault crash, that sounds like a dream. Got it a couple years back, from eBay, I believe it was an in-store demo being retired, arrived without a mark on it, in a plastic sleeve.

Unfortunately, I have just noticed it has cracked. The WTF part is the nature of the crack. It has a crack perpendicular to the lathe lines, starting an inch away from the mounting hole, and extending to just shy of the reverse curve approaching the bow. I've never seen a break like this, there's no evidence of impact, the mounting device I use (Tama) makes it impossible to clamp tightly, and I can't think what else would stress the metal in this area.

Anybody else seen a break like that? Is it worth a call to Sabian?
No matter what, you could always call because the worst thing they could do is say no.

M

michael drums

Yes!

Absolutely call Sabian about it. Not to see about any warranty on it, 'cause it's a 3rd party transaction(eBay), but they should be able to give you some valuable info on that particular cymbal, and what may be done to rectify the situation.

That does suck, man! But I would definitely contact them about it. It couldn't hurt, and, ya never know, they "might" even let you exchange it for another.

Maybe. Hopefully yes.

Good Luck! ;-)

Last edited:
defiantly call sabian. or any cymbal company. especially since it is a crack along a lathing line it may be their fault. never know you could get a free one

and i second the notion that the worst they can say is no

BattleArmor

Silver Member
Sabian is the only company I know of that has 2 year warrenties. So depending on how long "a couple years" is in your book, you could potentially be able to get a new cymbal. If not, than oh well.

It seems like it was the cymbal stands fault. Did you have all the necessary equiptment to properly mount your cymbal?

ermghoti

Silver Member
is a crack along a lathing line
It's at a 90 degree angle (perpendicular) to the lathe lines. I've seen cracks with the lathe lines on bells before, not like this.

It seems like it was the cymbal stands fault. Did you have all the necessary equiptment to properly mount your cymbal?
I use Tama booms on a Gibraltar rack. The booms come with a sleeve, washer, felts and a polymer nut. The nut and sleeve work such that when tighened all the way, one set of felts still can not clamp the bell (there's about 3/8" space), so my cymabls all swing freely.

Strangelove

Gold Member
The WTF part is the nature of the crack. It has a crack perpendicular to the lathe lines, starting an inch away from the mounting hole, and extending to just shy of the reverse curve approaching the bow. I've never seen a break like this, there's no evidence of impact, the mounting device Anybody else seen a break like that? Is it worth a call to Sabian?
Don't feel alone or that it is necessarily a strange crack. I have cracked cymbals in every way known to mankind. Edge cracks, parallel to groove cracks, perpendicular to groove cracks, slanted cracks, lightning bolt cracks that jump grooves and continue going on another groove.....

Remember, cymbals are cast bronze, not forged. If you know anything about metalurgy, anything that is cast that gets struck a lot and with force will eventually develop a crack. I used to crack more hat tops than anything when I used to gig. That is because I was on it the most, used thick sticks, and used force to create volume rather than relying on mics. Never cracked a ride in my life and very few crashes. What does that tell you?