Cymbal Confession Time.

Pootle

I’m normally a 2 cymbal setup man - 18 crash and 21 ride. Quick, easy setup and covers all bases for me. If there’s space I put in the 18 EFX but it’s a nice to have really.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Well...I took the AA 17" Medium-Thin Crash to church last night and played it with the AAX 17" X-plosion Crash. A huge surprise to me was the AAX was lower pitched. They were different enough to use together, but it sort of bugged me. So now at church the crashes are a 15" SR2 Thin Crash (that sounds very good) and the 17" AAX X-plosion Crash. I also took the HHX 20" Evolution Ride to church too. Here is what I now have.

20" AAX Dry Ride
19" AAX X-plosion Crash
17" AA Medium-Thin Crash
14" SR2 Hats (medium top, heavy bottom)

That to me is a primo cymbal setup. Peace and goodwill.

Peedy

I’ll be the dissenter today. Using 14-15-16 currently with 14in HHs. More importantly their weights are 660g-790g-830g with the HHs coming in at 727g and 810g. Perfect for what we play and the room we play it in.

Pete

Yamaha Rider

Nothing wrong with that. Your volume/tone needs have to dictate your dimension choices. Never apologize for a change of heart that leads to improvements.

My crash setup consists of a 16", a 17", and an 18", all thin. I have no need to go smaller than 16" or larger than 18". I've always thought 17" to be the most versatile size. There's no setting in which it won't work.
Woah! Did you just say there's no setting a 17" crash won't work in?
I know you're in a country band, like me: I'm in torment that the paper thin 17" I bought (and love) is just going to be too loud when I finally get it to band rehearsal. (I'll be playing heavy nylon, wooden handled brushes as the steel wire type get no response from cymbals or closed hihat. There are three electric guitars in the band with a pretty rocking lead.)

C.M. Jones

Woah! Did you just say there's no setting a 17" crash won't work in?
I know you're in a country band, like me: I'm in torment that the paper thin 17" I bought (and love) is just going to be too loud when I finally get it to band rehearsal. (I'll be playing heavy nylon, wooden handled brushes as the steel wire type get no response from cymbals or closed hihat. There are three electric guitars in the band with a pretty rocking lead.)
Fear not. Strike it with touch as needed, and it will respond accordingly. If it's paper thin, its tone should be relatively low as well. You can evoke a subdued voice from it with appropriate technique. It's not so much the size of the cymbal; it's the control of the drummer.

JaysonJeanChannel

Big crashes are the way to go! I love my 16" hi-hat combo!
16" Zildjian K Constantinople
16" Zildjian A Thin

While I used to have the basic cymbal set, (14" hats, 16" & 18" crashes & a 20" ride) I'm leaning towards bigger cymbals!

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Hopefully my last update: I took the AAX 19" Crash to church because it works well at the required volume. I am also bringing the HHX 20" Evolution Ride home and taking the AAX 20" Dry Ride to church. So here is what I now have:

20" HHX Evolution Ride (very crashable at about any volume)
17" AA Medium-Thin Crash
16" AA Concept Crash ( paid $99, got it today)
14" SR2 Hats (medium top, heavy bottom)

These will work fine for me. Peace and goodwill.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
Can't go wrong with the Sabians! Watch though, over time bigger and better leads to even bigger and better.. take it from me lol!

15" HHX Groove Hats
19" HHX X-plosion Crash
19" HHX Legacy Crash
20" Artisan Suspended Crash
22" HHX Complex Medium Ride