Cymbal comparison: Istanbul/Paiste/Meinl

Donkeyshed

Hi, first post here!

Looking for cymbals (on a strict budget)

I've been offered a couple of cymbal set deals by a drumshop as a peace offering for a (now resolved) minor issue.

I was originally about to buy a set of Paiste PST8s after comparing with other ranges, but for a comparable price they have also offered a set of Istanbul Mehmet Sultans or Meinl MB10s, which would both normally be much more expensive.

I play rock (rather than Metal) and am quite a hard hitter (probably poor technique as much as passionate drumming!). Although I am very tempted to go for the Sultans, I am a little worried that I will damage the crash with over-exuberance.

I'd be interested in any feedback from someone who has experience of the Sultans for rock/heavy playing or anyone who knows about the Meinl MB10s.

Sorry- just realised it's my 4th post (duh!). Getting confused as to which sites I've posted on before...

Go for the better used cymbals than the Paistes. I love Istanbul cymbals, but the Meinl's might be better for rock. Hard to say without hearing the Sultans, handmade cymbals vary quite a bit. Learn proper technique and you'll be good to go no matter which you choose.

don't buy new cymbal packs on beginner/intermediate cymbals. buy used pro level cymbals.
they are half or less the price and better in the long run. contrary to what you might hear, different brands/labels types (i.e. Sabian __ with a Paiste __ ) may match.

also, cheaper to take your time and learn better crashing technique than breaking cymbals for the next few years. no need to hit hard. good luck.

Thanks to you both (Jodgey4 & Opentune) for your advice. I certainly accept that first and foremost I need to look at technique, and I take on board the advice to look at the used cymbal market and to mix-and-match. Many thanks!

Back