Cymbal choke

lsits

Gold Member
What are the techniques that you use regarding cymbal chokes? things like placement of the stick in the choking hand, placement of the choked cymbal, etc. I have found that if I place the crash cymbal in a comfortable position for hitting with a stick, I have to lean out three or four inches to grab it with my hand. This has resulted in smashed fingers and knuckles if I don't get it just right.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Yeah, you have to kind of jump up, reach out and grab it.
I don't hit it really hard when I want to choke it. That way it is not moving too much when I have to grab it.
I very rarely choke my cymbals. And when doing it I'm a lot more careful these days.
Many years ago I sliced open the web between my first and second finger. It was loud, fast rock and roll and I was young and stupid.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Oh by the way.
For right handed players; if you play traditional grip, you can easily choke the cymbal to your left with your left fingers while hitting the cymbal with your right hand.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I love the cymbal choke. I try to choke with both hands so it really shuts it up quick. I just get my sticks out of the way, I don't even think about that part.

One of my personal all time favorite things to do is....at the build up of a big crecsendo followed by a sudden stop, I love to play a great cymbal swell capped of by a great choke.

Very dramatic IMO.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I catch the cymbal between the pad of my thumb and the outside of my bent pointer finger. Sticks stay curled between my fingers/palm, and only my thumb really moves. If I am choking two cymbals simultaneously or in succession, I choke with the same hand I hit the cymbal with, only from the bottom of the cymbal. Kinda hit the cymbal then push up on it, clamping it with your thumb only after the side of your finger has applied enough pressure to catch it first.

JustJames

Platinum Member
I'm right handed so...

Hold stick against leading edge of palm with pinky and ring finger of the left handy, strike cymbal with right hand stick, choke cymbal.

I use a cymbal choke on the splash cymbal (You're WHAT???????) in "Love Shack", and on a crash cymbal (repeatedly) for the intro to "Atomic".

lsits

Gold Member
Thanks for the replies.

Hollywood Jim, that tip about not hitting the cymbal too hard was golden! Made a big difference.

I've been experimenting choking with different and stick positions. I'm sure one way or another will show itself.