Cymbal Center Hole

vtran711

I just purchased this used cymbal and noticed a small ding in the center hole. Is this something I need to worry about? Cymbal sounds great so I'd like to keep it but if this can potentially get worse I do have 30 days to return.

cymbal.JPG

I’m not sure if a brass grommet is better but here is a Home Depot solution:

References to here:

Any opinions?

I still don’t like the idea of a sharp angle like shown in the picture but maybe I am overly paranoid.

The flaw in question is of negligible import. Ensuring that the cymbal is henceforth handled and mounted with care is the best strategy. Chips near the mounting hole aren't unusual. Generally, they don't worsen when future precautions are taken. If they do, hope is never lost. You can always attain a new cymbal. Nothing material is eternal.

Thanks everyone. All my stands have plastic sleeves but I'm going to take @Noisy advice and sand the hole smooth. May not be needed but I'm a bit paranoid too.

Definitely keeping the cymbal. I was using a single 16" which I love but now adding this 18" I prefer the warmer tone and longer decay. The 16" now seems a little too bright but they compliment each other well. I placed the 18" inch near the hihat as my primary crash and the 16" moved to the right next to the ride.

I doubt it would become an issue. A few strokes with a round file of similar diameter would clean it up quickly. Or maybe emery cloth (or even sandpaper) wrapped around an old drum stick...

Grombals are good for this situation, but I don't like to use them on 8mm stands, except for splash cymbals.

Some Zildjian concert crashes used to come with grommets installed at the factory.

According to The Cymbal Book (1992, Hugo Pinksterboer, Hal Leonard Publishing). . . .

A rough hole will wear out a cymbal sleeve in no time, it is wise to finish off such a flaw.

If there is a point of metal sticking out into the hole, use a smooth file to remove it. Be careful not to file the hole out of round.
Miner flaws can be removed using waterproof sandpaper, twisted around a screwdriver.

Existing "keyholes" (out of round holes) can be disguised and prevented from growing by inserting a metal grommet.

And, happy 4th everyone!

If it's not a rare/expensive cymbal I would drill it out. Not like making a notch or dramatic increase in diameter but just enough to even it out and prevent 'growth'. Modern cymbal holes are 8mm (if I remember correctly) so I would use a 9mm drill bit. It will have a negligible difference in its feel and swing on the stand and should have no difference in sound. Rubber grommets work but will wear out over time and metal grommets eventually rattle, both metal and rubber will slightly reduce your sustain. Simply drilling the whole 1mm larger will fix the problem with no negative impact and I doubt even the most experienced of drummers could look at it and say, "wait a second... Is that center hole bigger?"

It is the threaded post that eats away at the cymbal hole. When will hardware manufacturer realize cymbal stands do not need threading all the way down the tilter post. We just need enough threads for the wing nut to firm up the felt washers. Maybe half way at most.

If it's not a rare/expensive cymbal I would drill it out. Not like making a notch or dramatic increase in diameter but just enough to even it out and prevent 'growth'. Modern cymbal holes are 8mm (if I remember correctly) so I would use a 9mm drill bit. It will have a negligible difference in its feel and swing on the stand and should have no difference in sound. Rubber grommets work but will wear out over time and metal grommets eventually rattle, both metal and rubber will slightly reduce your sustain. Simply drilling the whole 1mm larger will fix the problem with no negative impact and I doubt even the most experienced of drummers could look at it and say, "wait a second... Is that center hole bigger?"
I'm actually considering doing this with a 20' Agop Signature ride with some cracks about 1.5 mm on one side. Should I go for it?

Attachments

• image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 6
I'm actually considering doing this with a 20' Agop Signature ride with some cracks about 1.5 mm on one side. Should I go for it?

I look at it like this: the damage is already done. The longer you wait the worse it will get. Either fix it now or retire it.

I look at it like this: the damage is already done. The longer you wait the worse it will get. Either fix it now or retire it.
Do you think widening the hole would make it too wide? I know it's hard to judge from the photos, but I'm trying to decide between that and the more expensive alternative of sending it to Jake Winebrenner who does micro fusion welding.

https://www.notsomoderndrummer.com/not-so-modern-drummer/2016/3/11/s331i3j7swusf7drez9c44xi8jzkjw

My experience is that welds will eventually separate. Maybe this guy you speak of has something different to say about that and you are free to take his word over mine (considering he is a professional welder and I am not haha). But I've never had good experience with welds and have read many threads of people reporting the same. Making the hole larger probably will slightly alter it's natural 'swing' on the stand but minimally and it's certainly better then the rattling/buzzing caused by a slowly growing crack.

The longer you wait, the larger the hole will have to be.

Back