cymbal box sets

Mojo.Rising

Hello guys first time poster in cymbal section and in need of some advice, I can't seem to make up my mind and hope somebody with some experience could help out. I'm between the Zildjian Special Dry box set and the Paiste Dry/Dark box set, which and what to get.

I've seen the videos on both and had me further confused(in a good way) on what to get, so if anybody had try it, own it your input and advice are very welcomed.

thanks much

From personal experience I can tell you that the Special Dry crashes are dirtier/trashier than the Masters crashes. If you want a somewhat "normal" crash sound, neither of these will work. Personally I like the trashiness that has come into fashion in the last decade or so, but audio engineers and producers are more stuck in their ways.

The Special Dry hi-hats are going to be thicker and more plate-like than the Masters hi-hats. I have the 15" Special Dry hi-hats and love them on louder gigs. Wouldn't use them in a quiet venue though.

I had a 21" Special Dry ride and promptly sold it. It's ALL stick sound; hardly any ping, or wash. Bell was nice I guess. I much prefer the old model of Special Dry ride, which is a completely different character.

From personal experience I can tell you that the Special Dry crashes are dirtier/trashier than the Masters crashes. If you want a somewhat "normal" crash sound, neither of these will work. Personally I like the trashiness that has come into fashion in the last decade or so, but audio engineers and producers are more stuck in their ways.

The Special Dry hi-hats are going to be thicker and more plate-like than the Masters hi-hats. I have the 15" Special Dry hi-hats and love them on louder gigs. Wouldn't use them in a quiet venue though.

I had a 21" Special Dry ride and promptly sold it. It's ALL stick sound; hardly any ping, or wash. Bell was nice I guess. I much prefer the old model of Special Dry ride, which is a completely different character.
Totally agreed about the original Special Dry series, which debuted around 2001 or '02 I believe. I have 14" hats from that series that I'll take to my grave, and I played a 21" Special Dry ride for many, many years. But I don't like the new Special Dry series they introduced a couple years ago at all. Every one of them sounds like a metal trash can lid to me. I don't have any experience with the Paistes, but I simply cannot recommend the new Special Dry series. Zildjian essentially ruined one of their best cymbal lines.

Depends on what you want. From my experience, Paiste cymbals always sound a bit more cutting and have a more brilliant sound. Just the way they are made. The Zildjians sound more trashy with a quicker decay. Personally a bit too much for me, so i would go with the Paistes.
Never played them though and this is purely on what i heard on YouTube, Zildjian's website and Paiste's website. Gives a general impression of them.

Back