Cymbal bags for larger cymbals

Lee-Bro

I thought there was a thread about this already, but I can't find it.

My recent purchase of a 27" china means I need a cymbal bag for it. Well, several years ago a bicycling friend commented that my padded cymbal bags were expensive versions of his wheel carrying bags.

Here's one on ebay w/ a shoulder strap: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-Padded-Wheel-Bag-Road-TT-Triathlon-Fat-Mountain-Bike-Planet-X-2-WHEELS/263274696017?hash=item3d4c650d51:m:mv_jWLG7GOciBpWwkS26h-A
s-l1600.jpg

I'm ordering one of these and will report back.

Here's a chart of tire sizes and their respective codings should you decide to go that route for your cymbals: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

That's brilliant! Genuinely useful outside the box recommendation. Either that or everyone has one and I haven't copped on yet.....

If I ever go above 22" I'll be investing regardless.

I do have a 23" Wuhan but haven't gigged a china in years.

I thought there was a thread about this already, but I can't find it.

My recent purchase of a 27" china means I need a cymbal bag for it. Well, several years ago a bicycling friend commented that my padded cymbal bags were expensive versions of his wheel carrying bags.

Here's one on ebay w/ a shoulder strap: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-Padded-Wheel-Bag-Road-TT-Triathlon-Fat-Mountain-Bike-Planet-X-2-WHEELS/263274696017?hash=item3d4c650d51:m:mv_jWLG7GOciBpWwkS26h-A
s-l1600.jpg

I'm ordering one of these and will report back.

Here's a chart of tire sizes and their respective codings should you decide to go that route for your cymbals: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

this is a prime example of why we're all her folks!
you just saved me $80-$120!!

Genius

Actually...
this reminds me...
My chef friend said my stick bags were almost identical to his knife bags/pouches.

Anyone know how expensive Chef's knife bags are?

So I'm finally circling back in this after getting one of the racing wheel bags for my larger cymbals.

First thing to know: This is built similar to the basic cymbal bags out there. The bag has absolutely NO padding on the bottom. It's built to hold wheels w/ tires (tyres) on them, hence not needing padding. I'm going to cut up a mouse pad and glue padding on the outside of the bottom of the bag to protect the cymbal edges. I'm not putting any inside because I don't want to lose storage space.

On w/ the review/evaluation.

It's 28" wide and 5" deep.
20200701_131222.jpg
20200701_131423.jpg

Since it's a bag designed for racing wheels, it's set up as two large pockets with a small amount of padding in and a central divider. In the middle is a nice storage pouch which has the capacity similar to a large fanny pack. You could easily put your phone, wallet, keys, phone charger, drum keys, ear plugs, etc. in there.
20200701_132051.jpg

I bought this to hold my 27" Wuhan china, two 26" Soultone rides, a 22" Sabian AA Extra Heavy Ride, a 22" Sabian AAX Omni, and a 20" Soultone ride. All except the 20" ride are pictured in front of the bag to show scale of its size. The 2nd photo shows all the cymbals in the bag. The width of the bag is great and I could have easily fit another 5-6 cymbals in it. Though I doubt the stitching along the seams at the bottom could handle that much weight over long term use.
20200701_131734.jpg
20200701_132420.jpg

It has a shoulder strap built into it that has a basic plastic clip and the strap itself isn't padded. The cymbals I listed have a combined weight of about 45lbs and is the absolute max I would put into the bag. After walking around with it in the basement fully loaded, I decided to take the 20" Soultone out. The bag is still holding ~40lbs of bronze. At that weight, I'm more comfortable using the shoulder strap. The 2-piece handle is much more sturdy though and probably should be used instead of the shoulder strap if you're loading up the bag.
20200701_132624.jpg20200701_132704.jpg

All-in-all, it's a decent bag perfect for storing larger cymbals as long as you add some type of padding on the bottom to protect the edges of your cymbals. If I was going to use this as a gigging bag, I'd add some padding to the interior sides as well and make sure I didn't overload it. I paid $47.69 which included shipping and taxes.

Last edited:
Great review and great idea. Thanks Lee!

As far as padding goes (and this is something I do with my "normal" cymbal bags anyway): Put an actual bike tire in the bottom. Just get an inexpensive tire (without the inner tube, just the outside, "hollow" part with the treading) at Walmart or Target and cut it into three pieces (enough for three bags). Place the tire in the bottom of the bag, tread side down and hollow or "open" side up. The tire protects the bottom edge of the cymbals in the bag, and the tire also protects the bag. It keeps the weight of the cymbals from tearing through the bottom of the bag over time. You can always add more padding (foam, old t-shirts etc.) inside the tire if you want.

Contact Fred Beato at Beato Bags - he could make you a great cymbal bag for your larger cymbals .

So I'm finally circling back in this after getting one of the racing wheel bags for my larger cymbals.

First thing to know: This is built similar to the basic cymbal bags out there. The bag has absolutely NO padding on the bottom. It's built to hold wheels w/ tires (tyres) on them, hence not needing padding. I'm going to cut up a mouse pad and glue padding on the outside of the bottom of the bag to protect the cymbal edges. I'm not putting any inside because I don't want to lose storage space.

On w/ the review/evaluation.

It's 28" wide and 5" deep.
View attachment 93792
View attachment 93789

Since it's a bag designed for racing wheels, it's set up as two large pockets with a small amount of padding in and a central divider. In the middle is a nice storage pouch which has the capacity similar to a large fanny pack. You could easily put your phone, wallet, keys, phone charger, drum keys, ear plugs, etc. in there.
View attachment 93787

I bought this to hold my 27" Wuhan china, two 26" Soultone rides, a 22" Sabian AA Extra Heavy Ride, a 22" Sabian AAX Omni, and a 20" Soultone ride. All except the 20" ride are pictured in front of the bag to show scale of its size. The 2nd photo shows all the cymbals in the bag. The width of the bag is great and I could have easily fit another 5-6 cymbals in it. Though I doubt the stitching along the seams at the bottom could handle that much weight over long term use.
View attachment 93788
View attachment 93786

It has a shoulder strap built into it that has a basic plastic clip and the strap itself isn't padded. The cymbals I listed have a combined weight of about 45lbs and is the absolute max I would put into the bag. After walking around with it in the basement fully loaded, I decided to take the 20" Soultone out. The bag is still holding ~40lbs of bronze. At that weight, I'm more comfortable using the shoulder strap. The 2-piece handle is much more sturdy though and probably should be used instead of the shoulder strap if you're loading up the bag.
View attachment 93785View attachment 93784

All-in-all, it's a decent bag perfect for storing larger cymbals as long as you add some type of padding on the bottom to protect the edges of your cymbals. If I was going to use this as a gigging bag, I'd add some padding to the interior sides as well and make sure I didn't overload it. I paid $47.69 which included shipping and taxes.

Well shoot - that's really cool.

Someone on IG was talking about using a bag made for gongs that was like 5 times the prices.

Nice one man!

Back