Cymbal Bag Recommendations?

organworthyplayer337

I'm in the market for a good cymbal bag. Preferably with dividers. I have found that it is very difficult to shop for cymbal bags online because the capacity of the bag is rarely listed and there usually aren't any photos of the inside of the bag.

Do you guys have any suggestions for a good bag? Up to 22" is fine, I have about 4-5 cymbals (a few crashes and a couple of rides) that I need to store, plus 2 pairs of hats.

Appreciate you all,

Thanks!

MntnMan62

I have one of the soft Zildjian bags. It has two dividers in the main compartment so you can easily store three cymbals in there. If you use the plastic sleeves the cymbals came in you can probably double up to accomodate your two rides and two crashes. Then there is a separate pocket on the front specifically for smaller cymbals like high hats. And another smaller pocket on that for small items. I don't gig much so I'm not using mine to cart cymbals around a lot. I've seen it for $50 so not expensive. But I have to wonder about it's durability for a regular gigging drummer. I suppose if I were gigging a fair amount I'd want a hard case. But if you're just storing some cymbls in one place this probably does as good a job as any other.

image.png

organworthyplayer337

I have one of the soft Zildjian bags. It has two dividers in the main compartment so you can easily store three cymbals in there. If you use the plastic sleeves the cymbals came in you can probably double up to accomodate your two rides and two crashes. Then there is a separate pocket on the front specifically for smaller cymbals like high hats. And another smaller pocket on that for small items. I don't gig much so I'm not using mine to cart cymbals around a lot. I've seen it for $50 so not expensive. But I have to wonder about it's durability for a regular gigging drummer. I suppose if I were gigging a fair amount I'd want a hard case. But if you're just storing some cymbls in one place this probably does as good a job as any other.

View attachment 91910
Does this look like the one you have?

MntnMan62

Yep. I think that 's the one. Although now that I think about it I don't think mine has the backpack shoulder straps but just a sling type shoulder strap to go with the handle right on the bag itself.

PedroAhets

It depends on how much money you want to spend and in what situations you are gonna use it. If you need a bag for going to the practice room or to play in your city the zildjian its ok but if you are thinking on travel an take it on the plane or the trunk of a bus i seriously recomend the Reunion Blues Continental cymbal bag. Its expensive but if you have expensibe cymbals you shuld take care of them
Here is the link for amazon.

organworthyplayer337

It depends on how much money you want to spend and in what situations you are gonna use it. If you need a bag for going to the practice room or to play in your city the zildjian its ok but if you are thinking on travel an take it on the plane or the trunk of a bus i seriously recomend the Reunion Blues Continental cymbal bag. Its expensive but if you have expensibe cymbals you shuld take care of them
Here is the link for amazon.

I did forget to include my intended uses in the OP. I just need to safely store my cymbals when not in use. Thanks for the link!

mkent

Just so you're aware I've heard bad things about zildjian cymbal bags, even the premium/deluxe ones or whatever. Apparently they don't last long at all. Something to look into

MntnMan62

Just so you're aware I've heard bad things about zildjian cymbal bags, even the premium/deluxe ones or whatever. Apparently they don't last long at all. Something to look into
I will admit the nylon these less expensive bags are made of probably won't hold up to heavy use, which I alluded to in my original post. But I think for the OPs intended purpose of just storing the cymbals when not in use, it should work just fine as an economical option. If however he wants to use it as a true gig bag, I wouldn't recommend it. There is a canvas bag by Tackle that looks awesome and seems to be pretty durable but it's also 4 times the price.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I bought a roadrunner 20 in cymbal bag from Guitar Center and used it for quite a few years and then I bought a 22-inch ride. I forced that in there for about a year and decided I better get a bigger one. So I bought a really cheap Humes and Berg Galaxy bag and it's not near the quality that the Roadrunner was. You might check out the Road Runner bags at Guitar Center they have dividers back pack straps it has a net pouch for small things like cymbal cloth drum key Etc

iCe

I use a Gewa backpack. Not made out of nylon but a more sturdy material (cordura). Have been using it for 3 years or so and still going strong!

Used the Zildjian backpack and trolley before, but after a year of use those start to fall apart. Really happy with the Gewa one and highly recommend it. I have an older model, but above is basically the same.

wraub

I have a Humes and Berg Galaxy, which I use expressly for holding cymbals which aren't being used. It sits in the corner and holds cymbals, and it does a great job of that. :)
It seems well made though, but apparently it's an older bag, and they reportedly cheapened something in the mfg. at some point.

So, a mixed recommendation, but it does sit there and hold cymbals quite well. ;)

lefty2

Platinum Member
I have a Humes and Berg Galaxy, which I use expressly for holding cymbals which aren't being used. It sits in the corner and holds cymbals, and it does a great job of that. :)
It seems well made though, but apparently it's an older bag, and they reportedly cheapened something in the mfg. at some point.

So, a mixed recommendation, but it does sit there and hold cymbals quite well. ;)
My galaxy bag doesn’t seem to have any extra padding on the bottom so if I set the cym bag down on concrete say like when I’m getting ready to load in my car I have to be very careful when I set it down. I added A piece of foam around the bottom of it, it’s the foam that you put around your pipes to keep them from freezing. I just cut it open so the cymdals could sit on that.

Juniper

Gold Member
I'd personally recommend the Protection Racket delux cymbal bag.

I've had one for nearly 20 years and it still looks in great shape but most importantly it's protected my cymbals fantasticly well.

I own two of them now and I'd never use anything else.

organworthyplayer337

I'd personally recommend the Protection Racket delux cymbal bag.

I've had one for nearly 20 years and it still looks in great shape but most importantly it's protected my cymbals fantasticly well.

I own two of them now and I'd never use anything else.
I’ve been keeping an eye on these. They are a little hard to get a hold of right now. At my skill level, I feel like it’s going to be a long while before I need a gig worthy cymbal bag like the Protection Racket. They are really nice though.

MntnMan62

My galaxy bag doesn’t seem to have any extra padding on the bottom so if I set the cym bag down on concrete say like when I’m getting ready to load in my car I have to be very careful when I set it down. I added A piece of foam around the bottom of it, it’s the foam that you put around your pipes to keep them from freezing. I just cut it open so the cymdals could sit on that.
I've always been aware of the same thing with mine. I feel like I have to handle it with kid gloves for fear of either ripping the bag itself or damaging my cymbals. I never thought about this idea by using water pipe insulation. I'm going to find some in my basement a cut a piece for my bag tonight. Such a great idea. And the price is right. Thanks for the idea!!!

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Can I make alternative suggestion? Yes? Thank you kindly.

How about a wall mounted storage/display? I'm currently on lockdown, but I'll post pics of some of mine asap.

Here is a pic of Mike Johnston's wall to give you an idea.

Attachments