Cutting down an 18'' A Custom Crash to 14''

InfestedCheetah

I am completely new to cymbal repair or modifications. I have an 18 inch A Custom Crash that had a couple of cracks around the edges of the cymbal. I did some reading about cutting the cymbal down using tin snips. I used a 14 inch top hat to trace with and marked out the new side on the top with a pencil. Using tin snips (red) I cut the bulk of the outer edges of the cymbal and avoided getting to close to my traced line to avoid any additional cracking.

See Picture...notice line and remaining material

My question is what should I use to finish removing the material and to smooth out the outer edge?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

NC68

Your best bet is to use a lathe with a fixture of some sort but most people don't have access to that type of machine tool. For the do-it-yourself-er I would probably use a very fine toothed blade on a sabre saw and then finish up with a file. Even with that method it may look like you did it yourself though.

InfestedCheetah

Thanks for your reply. Almost immediately after posting the question I started looking in to what my options were for finishing it. I decided to attempt to make some cuts using a Dremel with a cut off wheel. The cut off wheel surprisingly worked pretty well leaving a pretty nice edge. I ended up using 4 cut off wheels to complete the job (kept breaking the cheap Dremel cut off wheels) but it turned out pretty nice in my opinion. I guess the edge could use a little detail filing or sanding however it sounds pretty good. I first started playing it as a crash and I was pretty happy with the way it played. However the way I decided to use it was as a top hat with a 14 inch Zildjian Amir II Bottom. This configuration sounds awesome. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out considering I was basically going to trash this crash.

I still wonder about the outer edge...is there something I need to do to the outer edge to prevent cracking in the future? Should the edge be tapered, etc?

I posted a couple pics. I think it looks pretty good considering this was my first attempt. Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

RMS

Nice job. Spend an hour sanding it, and you'll be done. Get emery cloth. Regular sandpaper won't last very long. I wouldn't worry about a taper if you're using it as a hi-hat, You really need a lathe for that, anyways.