Cutting a Wood Hoop

boomstick

Silver Member
I've installed a lift on my kick drum. Now I need to make a cut in the hoop (as pictured) to make room for the pedal action. What would be the best way to make this cut? I'm thinking of drawing a guide line using a flexible plastic lid (like from a can of peanuts) as a stencil, then making the cut with a Dremel tool and smoothing it out with a rounded edge file and sandpaper. Good idea or is there a better way?

Attachments

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
I've installed a lift on my kick drum. Now I need to make a cut in the hoop (as pictured) to make room for the pedal action. What would be the best way to make this cut? I'm thinking of drawing a guide line using a flexible plastic lid (like from a can of peanuts) as a stencil, then making the cut with a Dremel tool and smoothing it out with a rounded edge file and sandpaper. Good idea or is there a better way?

That idea sounds perfect. Just use some blue painters tape on the hoop to protect the finish and you should be good to go.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I did a similar lift on my 65 Slingerland Jazz kit a few years ago. I used a round object as a guide for marking the cut. I then made the cut freehanded with a coping saw. Next I sanded until smooth and uniform.

calan

Silver Member
I cheated when I did mine. I used a drum sander with a contour I liked. Can't remember the diameter off hand. Probably took less than 30 seconds and the result was already finished.

boomstick

Silver Member
I cheated when I did mine. I used a drum sander with a contour I liked. Can't remember the diameter off hand. Probably took less than 30 seconds and the result was already finished.
Brilliant. I think I'm going to try this. Thanks for the idea.