Cut down the height of a Gator Protechtor Series Classic Tom Case

Dapper D

Has anyone ever cut these and what did you use?
I have a 12 x 8 Gator Fiber Case that I want to cut down the height from 8 inches to 6 inches in height.
I was thinking of using a jig-saw with a fine tooth metal blade.
Thanks in advance for any knowledge.

Attachments

johnwesley

Silver Member
Did it to a Gator Elite Air bass case using a fine tooth jig and worked just fine. Just take it slow and it'll be good.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
An 8x12 case is already small. You sure you need it smaller? I can understand cutting down a 18x22 case to save space, but two inches on a 8x12 case is negligible, no?

johnwesley

Silver Member
An 8x12 case is already small. You sure you need it smaller? I can understand cutting down a 18x22 case to save space, but two inches on a 8x12 case is negligible, no?
Bo is right. I was just answering your question about does cutting it work. Rather than risk damage, why not add a layer of cushion weight foam to the bottom?

lefty2

Platinum Member
I cut down a case like that with a razor knife. It was kind of hard and I had to have a brand new blade.

Like bo I’m assuming your wanting to cut down to size to fit the drum and not to save space . Can’t see the 2 inches making much difference space wise. I’ve used dense foam to take up space in cases before . I’d rather do this and preserve the versatility of the case.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I’m presuming its for a small snare drum? Use sharp bladed knife with a straight guide somehow, or else a multisaw or jigsaw with a reasonably fine blade.
*Edit - you could use the lid as a cutting guide if you’re careful.

Dapper D

The 8x12 case is actually for 2 Electronic PD-80 Roland Drums with a 1" thick pad between they total in height with the foam top and bottom and the pad about 8.5 inches the bottom is 10 inches so I want to cut off 1.5 inches.

The 8x12 case is actually for 2 Electronic PD-80 Roland Drums with a 1" thick pad between they total in height with the foam top and bottom and the pad about 8.5 inches the bottom is 10 inches so I want to cut off 1.5 inches.
Still......Why not use 2” foam pad to take up the space🤷🏻‍♂️ They’d be nice a snug in there, no banging around . Extra protection for them and no cutting of the case needed . Is there a reason you’d rather cut the case and not use foam .

Ghostin one

Make sure the lid will clear the handle if you cut it - it looks close in the picture. I guess you could trim that part of the lid, too.