Customizing your kit

wraub

I have modded my basses with chosen parts and stickers where desired (just changed out the pickguard on a bass today), but so far my only mod to my drums is using a bass drum made by a different company from the rest of the drums (I still have the matching one), and using the boom arm top of a cymbal stand in the bass drum tom holder.

But, I'm still new at this. Give me time. :D

J-W

What’s going on here? I can’t quite figure this one out. Killer setup tho! 👍

The rack/riser I'm using "suspends" (cantilevers, in my case) the bass drums off of the front of the riser.
IMG_4841a.jpg

But the "normal" way to mount the bass drums is through the bass drum tom mount like this:
IMG_0464a.jpg

But I wanted to keep the new shells virgin so I fabbed a mount that does so and cleans up the look in the process.
IMG_0498a.jpg

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I built and added a cyclotron to my kit-in Tony Williams yellow. It speeds up particles just fine but didn't speed up my drumming one bit. LOL just kidding-I didn't add it to my kit.

Attachments

• cyclotron.png
    cyclotron.png
    366.9 KB · Views: 16

wraub

toddmc

Gold Member
The rack/riser I'm using "suspends" (cantilevers, in my case) the bass drums off of the front of the riser.
View attachment 101694

But the "normal" way to mount the bass drums is through the bass drum tom mount like this:
View attachment 101695

But I wanted to keep the new shells virgin so I fabbed a mount that does so and cleans up the look in the process.
View attachment 101696
Holy crap- is that an actual Voelker rack or you made this yourself (never thought I'd see anyone put together a "Menza" set up these days)! Will there be a top rack for hanging cymbals as well?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Here's a before and after.

AD66B8B7-28A1-4D1A-B9B7-86EDBE1E06CE_zps6zibsteu.jpg

DB991D41-3EA6-42F6-B2F6-4F799E74ADB5_zpsd9dspehz.jpg

1D7C5A87-4FB3-4A98-BEF8-EBED5949F8F7_zpskij9yged.jpg

J-W

Nicely done.

Thanks!

Holy crap- is that an actual Voelker rack or you made this yourself (never thought I'd see anyone put together a "Menza" set up these days)! Will there be a top rack for hanging cymbals as well?

It's an actual Voelker rack. I've considered fabricating a top rack ("halo") identical to the original (mine didn't come with one), but I'm on the fence about them.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I can't leave well enough alone to save my life. I'm always changing out knobs, shell finishes or hoop & lug colors. I'm big on making what I play "mine" and the way to do that is by making it your own in some small way.

J-W

I can't leave well enough alone to save my life. I'm always changing out knobs, shell finishes or hoop & lug colors. I'm big on making what I play "mine" and the way to do that is by making it your own in some small way.

I too can't leave well enough alone. I don't like things "stock" so I customize/personalize just about everything. Cars, motorcycles, drums, houses, furniture, etc...

toddmc

Gold Member
It's an actual Voelker rack. I've considered fabricating a top rack ("halo") identical to the original (mine didn't come with one), but I'm on the fence about them.
Wow, never knew it was called a halo, that's awesome.
I'm afraid I must insist you get one otherwise you're just half-arsing it (not-so subtle hint to keep going) and this build needs it's own thread! 😁

J-W

Anything particularly special about these racks? Other than good looks, of course.

"Special" is subjective. It's mostly looks, and, for me, some nostalgia.
I like unique and/or custom things, and the Voelker rack is a symbol of the excess of the 80's and a bygone era of the "iconic" kits, arena bands, and entertaining stage shows.
There are some benefits as well. It is a rack, after all, so it has that going for it.
The bass drums have more body to them as a result of suspending them.
Sturdy is an gross understatement.
But yeah, mostly looks.

Oh, and it's much easier to vacuum under the kit. ;) (y)

J-W

Wow, never knew it was called a halo, that's awesome.
I'm afraid I must insist you get one otherwise you're just half-arsing it (not-so subtle hint to keep going)

"Half-arsing it" perfectly describes my drumming so it's appropriate for the kit as well, right? As much as I like the halo, I don't know if it's for me. Maybe someday.

this build needs it's own thread!

It's not a build. It's been built for quite some time. The photo of the rack on it's own is from when I moved into my new place.
I have done some minor mods, like the kick drum mounts, the hi-hat clamp/arm, a rack mounted laptop table and a built-in 2 space rack for the interfaces over the years, but no major changes. I doubt there's enough interest in a kit like this for it's own thread. If you want to know more, shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to tell you anything you want to know.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Not my kit-my sticks I add two blue balls as a counter weight for my finger action. images.jpeg

Last edited:

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

the only thing I do is get Remo custom logo heads with the old school "jazz initials badge" and stripes...in honor of my dad and Gene Krupa

1955Ludsfront.JPG

my rock set front head got ripped by a "sound guy" who pulled the mic out of the head by the cord, causing the sound hole to rip, and then part of the head, so right now it just has a black Remo on the front

Ransan

the only thing I do is get Remo custom logo heads with the old school "jazz initials badge" and stripes...in honor of my dad and Gene Krupa

View attachment 101792

my rock set front head got ripped by a "sound guy" who pulled the mic out of the head by the cord, causing the sound hole to rip, and then part of the head, so right now it just has a black Remo on the front
That’s a beautiful kit and space also very cool on the reso initials.

I want my initials logo’d ‘RS’ for my Rogers drums.
Did you do the shield and striping yourself or where did you have this done?

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

That’s a beautiful kit and space also very cool on the reso initials.

I want my initials logo’d ‘RS’ for my Rogers drums.
Did you do the shield and striping yourself or where did you have this done?

thanks!! That is an art gallery that we play in the summer time. It is an weekend downtown festival that closes the streets...it is really cool

It was all done at Remo...just their custom logo heads you can get from the factory. I have had that head for about 15 years now...