Customizing your kit

Bozozoid

What little or big things do you do to make your kit look hipper to you. I've got a renown kit and am thinking of getting the USA custom bass drum claws for the bass hoop. I've never liked the natural blonde wood on the interior bass hoop on my sonor 3007 looking for a blue sparkle hoop inside and out. I think about cooler looking felts for cymbal stands. Cooler wing nuts. All these little customizing things.

Ransan

Call me crazy, for my Pearl Session Select kit I got die cast hoops for all tom batter side - sizes 8-16 and left snare alone.

I also went with a clear reso bass drum logo head to pay homage to 90s Sessions and Master kits.

I am keeping the stock triple flange hoops and white reso bass drum head just in case I want to go back.

I love how unique it is and how it sounds.

C.M. Jones

I do precious little to modify my setup. Aside from replacing heads, my kit is in factory condition in every way. I always order the exact specs I want so that I don't have to customize down the line. I've never been fond of tinkering with drums. I'd rather spend time playing them.

Yamaha Rider

I want T bar bass drum rods for my 90s Stage Custom - but absolutely can't find any long enough to fit. (Gibraltar's longest are about 20mm short)
Now I think of it - the bass claws are ugly, shoddy looking pressings (strange - cos the high tension lugs are gorgeous).
Any recommendations for high quality replacements from other manufacturers?

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Narada puts flowers all over his kit. Even for gigs. My son and I caught his band at The Iridium a couple years ago. Apparently it was his second or third night there. His drums had wilting flowers all over them. Before the band came on, a guy came out and pulled all the older wilted flowers off and put fresh ones out.

Narada Michael Walden: Drummer, Singer, Songwriter, Educator, and Producer  to the Stars | Modern Drummer Magazine

Quai34

I suctomized my kit with 25 cymbals on it!!!!

Ransan

It's a very small thing but I replaced the wingnuts on my cymbal stands with Tama cymbal toppers. I'm not a fan of slathering stickers and stuff all over drum kits.

View attachment 101669
That’s smooth set up you have there.
I have the Pearl Wingloc, quick release cymbal toppers and I agree they give the kit a nice touch and load in out efficiency.

yammyfan

That’s smooth set up you have there.
I have the Pearl Wingloc, quick release cymbal toppers and I agree they give the kit a nice touch and load in out efficiency.
Thanks! Agreed - quick release toppers are a blessing when it comes to setup and teardown during gigs and rehearsals. I haven't seen the Pearls yet but I'll keep an eye out for them.

I'm also a big fan of Gibraltar's quick release Hi Hat clutch for the same reason. You can see one in the photo above. I have several of them and it's the first thing I change when I buy a new kit. Not only are they super fast to take apart - they never ever loosen.

Ransan

Thanks! Agreed - quick release toppers are a blessing when it comes to setup and teardown during gigs and rehearsals. I haven't seen the Pearls yet but I'll keep an eye out for them.

I'm also a big fan of Gibraltar's quick release Hi Hat clutch for the same reason. You can see one in the photo above. I have several of them and it's the first thing I change when I buy a new kit. Not only are they super fast to take apart - they never ever loosen.
That kit is squared away no doubt also, that looks like the 4160?

I installed a Pearl type tom holder on my Saturn V bass drum. Peace and goodwill.

View attachment 101665
Very nice touch, the configuration looks like it’s an energy saver with all the efficiency. I love the finish by the way!
Narada puts flowers all over his kit. Even for gigs. My son and I caught his band at The Iridium a couple years ago. Apparently it was his second or third night there. His drums had wilting flowers all over them. Before the band came on, a guy came out and pulled all the older wilted flowers off and put fresh ones out.

View attachment 101634
My man don’t tell me you put some of the dried up ready for fire up on your kit?! 👍

yammyfan

That kit is squared away no doubt also, that looks like the 4160?
Thanks again. 🤗 I'm head over heels in love with that kit. I added the 16" floor tom to it recently.

As for the snare, that's a Brooklyn 4165 5.5x14 COS. I'll pick up a COB eventually, probably when we start gigging again.

Out of Round

I have Ludwigs, but on the floor toms I have Premier legs and Pearl rubber isolation feet.
20210301_190131.jpg
I also put a Premier die cast rim on top of a black & white badge 6.5x14 Ludwig brass snare drum. My double tom mount is Tama. These were done for reasons of better utility and or sound, not just for kicks.

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I keep a black velvet drawstring bag with certain gemstones in it on my tom tree.

It's my Mojo hand. Not one person has ever noticed or asked about it in the 5 years I've had the kit.

This is my first mention of it to anyone.

The kits I've kept are the kits I've had made custom. Eames, DW, 3 Guru.

I d have a Sonor Player kit, which I'm giving to my stepson down the road if he's still interested.

Quai34

Quai34

It's a very small thing but I replaced the wingnuts on my cymbal stands with Tama cymbal toppers. I'm not a fan of slathering stickers and stuff all over drum kits.

View attachment 101669
I did that on almost all the Cymbals but with the Pearl ones, I was told the Tama were popping up from time to time...

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I've added red Hendrix washers to all of my drums, and red cymbal felts to all of my cymbal stands. I've changed all of my tom mounts to Inde BR-2 mounts, and I've added S-hoops to all of my toms.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I put a Mapex no drill tom tree holder on both of my walnut bass drums. I like a tree.

I had to get a local welder to shorten the mount up a little, twice. It's made for an 18" bass drum and mine are 16 and 12 inches deep.

So 2 of my Guru bass drums sport that Mapex M logo, as I hit my forehead with my palm

It looks like a fist to me. That always helps to center myself lol. But it works like a peach.

J-W

I made custom footboards for my Axis pedals and a matching one for my DW5000 hi-hat.
IMG_0314a.jpg

Before I split them into two single pedals.
IMG_0412a.jpg

Then flush mounted them into the flooring of my riser.
IMG_6207a.jpg

I also fabbed a RIMS style mount for my bass drums.
IMG_0497a.jpg

And then there's the Voelker rack/riser. I don't know if it's considered "custom" as this was the "standard" rack of his. But it's custom to my kit. ;)
IMG_5238a.jpg