Customizing your first kit.

Bozozoid

Silver Member
I got this made in Japan silver sparkle kit with a cheap mahogany wood...gray. I couldn't afford a Rogers or Ludwig kit but I'll be damned if I wasn't going to hop my little kit up. I put the Ludwig tom mount on it..two tom mount..i stripped all the hardware and painted the shells interior white. I put Ludwig heavy duty spurs on it..i bought Evans heavy duty rock heads for the set..the heads with the white epoxy hoops. I bought a ludwig speed King and was the coolest guy on the block. Of course these items came gradually as I shoveled..mowed lawns..and delivered papers. Did any of you hop up your very first kits?.

Out of Round

Other than some repairs to the floor tom, I didn't do anything to the shells of my silver CB-700.

But I did experiment with different drumheads and I really learned a lot about sound and the differences between Black dots, Evans blue hydraulics, Fiberskyns and the awful stock heads. I even had a silver mirror-type front head when they first came out.

Oh yeah, and a stuffed Spuds McKenzie on top of the kick drum for a while.

I found this picture from 1984, no hi-hats yet, funky tom angles, and a Camber II Ride in a very odd placement.

Attachments

• 20211011_223710.jpg
    20211011_223710.jpg
    519.1 KB · Views: 23

C.M. Jones

Diamond Member
Aside from replacing stock heads, which are disposable anyway, the only customization I've ever carried out on a kit involved removing the tom mount from a bass drum and sealing the hole with a plate. Since then, I've bought nothing but "virgin" (no tom mount) bass drums. Beyond that modification, I've always played kits in their factory state, mostly for two reasons: Pearl, on the kits I've owned, has gotten the specs correct to begin with, and I'm not much of a tinkerer or craftsman. Not having to tamper with something is an asset to me.

Old Dog new Cans

I HATED my first kit. Basically concert toms because a previous owner tossed all of the bottom lugs, hoops and heads I assume. It was an old Crestline. Nice blue sparkle.

I may have replaced the heads once through the 80s. :rolleyes: Me and my bro played the hell out of them though! I have done some filling and re-drilling on kits I've refurbished in the last couple years though.

A J

I got this made in Japan silver sparkle kit with a cheap mahogany wood...gray. I couldn't afford a Rogers or Ludwig kit but I'll be damned if I wasn't going to hop my little kit up. I put the Ludwig tom mount on it..two tom mount..i stripped all the hardware and painted the shells interior white. I put Ludwig heavy duty spurs on it..i bought Evans heavy duty rock heads for the set..the heads with the white epoxy hoops. I bought a ludwig speed King and was the coolest guy on the block. Of course these items came gradually as I shoveled..mowed lawns..and delivered papers. Did any of you hop up your very first kits?.
My first kit (1983-ish) was a beat up Apollo 5-piece. Not a bad kit. I did' do anything special to it other than basic maintenance.

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
Staff member
And my gigging pearl vision wrapped in white and black
Although it reminds me of an R8...
iu

...I somehow like it. Is there a picture of the whole set?

someguy01

Gold Member
My first kit that I bought for myself was a black Pearl Forum kit. Once I changed all the heads and added every muffling item I could get, it actually sounded damn good. The only customization I did was pinstripe the toms and kick to give it a little flair. I have no pictures, so I guess it didn't *actually* happen.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
Did any of you hop up your very first kits?.
Oh, you know it!
I had a Royce kit (bought by me flipping burgers at McDeez). I was smitten by Lars' ...Justice kit & as mine was already white, I stripped the lugs off & painted them and the hoops black.
Ignore the Ludwig sticker, it was the head that came on it and I needed a "name brand" on the front.
I still have the marching drum to my left there. It's black now...;) Royce kit.jpg

Jasta 11

My First kit was a blue sparkle MIJ Maxwin. It came with a Speed king and Zildjian New beats, ride and crash so the first guy hopped it up a bit.. My cousin had a similar kit which he didnt play so i added it to my kit. i alternated the toms because his was like brown pearl finish so my double bass kit was blue , brown, blue etc. I dont have any pics sadly.