Custom snare?

805Drummer

Gold Member
So, my birthday is coming up, on May 27th...turning 15 =)

And I was looking for a nice snare drum--like, a nice snare drum

But there's just so many options, and the prices are so high, that I decided it might be a good idea to go custom. Not completely custom--I would buy from a custom company, but get one of their already made snares.

What do you think of this as opposed to getting one from Guitar Center (which, incidentally, I'm going to in half an hour)?

I was looking particularly at:

1) SJC Matt Mcginley snare - $600

2) UDRUM Cherry Bomb snare - $600

3) Trick Super Red Sparkle - $279

But these are just a few out of the hundreds...what do you think? Any input would be very much appreciated.

Zach, for the love of god, If you're looking to blow up to $600 on a snare, please look at the Tama warlords.

KGB146AFT.jpg

TAMA+WARLORD+SPARTAN.JPG

TAMA+WARLORD+VALKYRIE.JPG

Last edited:
Zach, for the love of god, If you're looking to blow up to $600 on a snare, for the love of god, please look at the Tama warlords.

As much as I would love to spend that much on a snare, $400-ish is a lot more reasonable, and anything more, I would have to contribute to it (my birthday present) as well.

The Tama Warlord Valkyrie ($500 looked good, but I'm thinking it might be a little too "hardcore" for my taste. I'm looking for a nice, full CRACK, with a bit of depth...

Fair enough on the price point, but you know, valkyrie is actually norse for CRACK.

Ok silliness aside, here is what the what the valkyrie sounds like on a set.... CRACK!!!!!!

I'm 91% sure that is the valk.....

As much as I would love to spend that much on a snare, $400-ish is a lot more reasonable, and anything more, I would have to contribute to it (my birthday present) as well.

The Tama Warlord Valkyrie ($500 looked good, but I'm thinking it might be a little too "hardcore" for my taste. I'm looking for a nice, full CRACK, with a bit of depth...

I agree with King Fail. There are so many other great snares for less than $600. Did you see that blue one on sjc's website? It's on the for sale section. I think it's like $500 and it looks sick! I wish I could show you a picture but their website doesn't allow it. By the way, I'm just giving a suggestion because you wanted a custom snare. There are some better (In my opinion) snares if you decide to go with big name companies.

Edit: Check out the Mike Johnson Sig. Too... It's $499.00

l_14e34508ab8f49938cf65c713978d97d.jpg

I agree with King Fail also here. The thing is that SJC snares look nice and have all powdercoated hardware and that but in terms of substance, tama KNOW how to make a really nice snare drum. Look at those things as well, they're just beautiful. I had a promo shot of one of these as my original avatar on here if anyone remembers ;).

Oh and another thing, we all know how you're all about aesthetics, but you probably should sacrifice a red snare drum for sound. If you can find a red snare that sounds amazing then get it, but look outside the box of RED.

I hate the color of my snare, but it sounds good, to my ears anyways, which is what matters.

I agree with King Fail. There are so many other great snares for less than $600. Did you see that blue one on sjc's website? It's on the for sale section. I think it's like $500 and it looks sick! I wish I could show you a picture but their website doesn't allow it. By the way, I'm just giving a suggestion because you wanted a custom snare. There are some better (In my opinion) snares if you decide to go with big name companies.

Edit: Check out the Mike Johnson Sig. Too... It's $499.00

I checked out the Mike Johnston snare, and it looks good...and WOAH. It sounds good too! I just watched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9uFFNRz5To where he explains all about it...that's definitely going on my list.

I agree with King Fail also here. The thing is that SJC snares look nice and have all powdercoated hardware and that but in terms of substance, tama KNOW how to make a really nice snare drum. Look at those things as well, they're just beautiful. I had a promo shot of one of these as my original avatar on here if anyone remembers ;).

That actually makes sense. All of SJC's kits are AMAZING looking...although I've never actually heard one.

Incidentally, about a year ago, I was searching through SJC's website's portfolio, when I found a kit I really liked the look of--it was a brown and maroon-striped wrap with white hardware. I liked it so much, I made it my desktop background. Fast forward 11 months, when I walk into Guitar Center and see that exact kit sitting on the shelf!

Oh and another thing, we all know how you're all about aesthetics, but you probably should sacrifice a red snare drum for sound. If you can find a red snare that sounds amazing then get it, but look outside the box of RED.

I hate the color of my snare, but it sounds good, to my ears anyways, which is what matters.

I'm over the whole red and black thing. If I'm getting anything for this particular 805 kit, maybe red and black, but this snare, I'm buying to buy it hopefully to be a part of my next drum set (give it a few years), which I hope to be custom.

Also, Josh...I was at Guitar Center today, and was making my way around the kits, when I stumbled upon a DW Eco-X (woah) with a 13x7 Pork Pie Pig Lite snare.

It was my favorite snare in the store!

And then I noticed that you have it...what do you think of it as a main snare? Obviously, it's a lot cheaper than the ones mentioned above, but it seems like it'd be a better side snare. Still, it sounded amazing.

Also, Josh...I was at Guitar Center today, and was making my way around the kits, when I stumbled upon a DW Eco-X (woah) with a 13x7 Pork Pie Pig Lite snare.

It was my favorite snare in the store!

And then I noticed that you have it...what do you think of it as a main snare? Obviously, it's a lot cheaper than the ones mentioned above, but it seems like it'd be a better side snare. Still, it sounded amazing.

I've tried many snares but have only owned a couple but it's one of the best ones I've tried. I think it's great as a main snare, though in the future I'd like to get a larger snare. Probably 14x7.5

I checked out the Mike Johnston snare, and it looks good...and WOAH. It sounds good too! I just watched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9uFFNRz5To where he explains all about it...that's definitely going on my list.

That actually makes sense. All of SJC's kits are AMAZING looking...although I've never actually heard one.

Incidentally, about a year ago, I was searching through SJC's website's portfolio, when I found a kit I really liked the look of--it was a brown and maroon-striped wrap with white hardware. I liked it so much, I made it my desktop background. Fast forward 11 months, when I walk into Guitar Center and see that exact kit sitting on the shelf!

I'm over the whole red and black thing. If I'm getting anything for this particular 805 kit, maybe red and black, but this snare, I'm buying to buy it hopefully to be a part of my next drum set (give it a few years), which I hope to be custom.

Okay, hahah! I was just making sure because all of the snares you listed were red :p

Have you considered high quality snares from a not-custom company?
Ludwig is legendary for a reason, and for your budget I definitely think you could snag a Black Beauty. Black Magics have come out for those that can't afford Black Beauties, and hell you could even get a vintage Black Galaxy Acrolite, all in your price range..

Have you considered high quality snares from a not-custom company?
Ludwig is legendary for a reason, and for your budget I definitely think you could snag a Black Beauty. Black Magics have come out for those that can't afford Black Beauties, and hell you could even get a vintage Black Galaxy Acrolite, all in your price range..

http://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/1126397/

How's that?

And how does it compare to the snares mentioned above (Cherry Bomb, Mike Johnston, etc.)?

Thing is, I want something that caters to my sound, not something really versatile--in fact, I already made that mistake with my Zildjian A's (very nice sounding, just a little TOO versatile).

How's that?

And how does it compare to the snares mentioned above (Cherry Bomb, Mike Johnston, etc.)?

Thing is, I want something that caters to my sound, not something really versatile--in fact, I already made that mistake with my Zildjian A's (very nice sounding, just a little TOO versatile).

Well, your sound just might change and it's probably a good idea to get something that can adapt to that new sound you (might in the future) want.

How's that?

Ask anyone that owns a Black Beauty, the thing about them is that not only are they so versatile, they beat out the specialized drums at their own game.

I have personally owned quite a few snares in my drumming lifetime, 1 of which being an SJC snare, and I have to agree with all of the previous posts. Although the drum looks cool and is made quite well, it doesn't compare to some of the higher end snares I've owned i.e. Black Panther Steel 5x14 and Tama Starclassic Brass 6.5x14. I'd personally go for a Ludwig because they are just so damn good and versatile, just as DrewTheShoe said: "they beat out the specialized drums at their own game".

Back