Custom made Cocobolo rosewood snare drum 14 x 6

graysonator

So this is a drum me and my grandpa built together with some exotic rosewood he's had for over 15 years! It sounds really punchy!IMG_20191129_164026_01.jpg

drumnut87

nice! rosewood is lovely for instruments, lately though its been harder to find due to the CITES listing of most species of rosewood.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I've got a 5.5" solid cocobolo that sounds great, a very magic wood!

graysonator

Hey thanks you guys! I’ll be sure to post a sound demo sometime soon, I should mention it’s a stave shell

Last edited:

johnwesley

Silver Member
I’d get a stave or steambent rosewood. The Gretsch is nice, I have one, but stave or steambent will give you more of the character of the wood.
Yeah, thanks. I have a one ply steambent Radio King and love it. Also a couple stave shells, one is zebrawood and just plain awesome.zebra 2.jpg

Last edited:

NouveauCliche

Yeah, thanks. I have a one ply steambent Radio King and love it. Also a couple stave shells, one is zebrawood and just plain awesome.View attachment 93334

Is that a free-floater?

Very cool!

So this is a drum me and my grandpa built together with some exotic rosewood he's had for over 15 years! It sounds really punchy!View attachment 93323

Very cool that you two built that!! Total heirloom piece - I'd love to see a picture with a little more shell!

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Wow what a labor of love and creating an exquisite instrument with a built in heritage. I love it!! You gotta post more pics and maybe a video-if at all possible. You'll have fun exploring it's utility-it takes time.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
As much as I love the fast response of a 5-inch snare, for a really special wood like cocobolo, I feel like a deeper depth would let you hear more of its voice. I’ve got a steambent 6.5x14 rosewood that just makes me smile when I hit it off center. It’s got a ton of character.

graysonator

As much as I love the fast response of a 5-inch snare, for a really special wood like cocobolo, I feel like a deeper depth would let you hear more of its voice. I’ve got a steambent 6.5x14 rosewood that just makes me smile when I hit it off center. It’s got a ton of character.
Yeah man! I chose a 6 in depth to add some more character