Custom Classic Pro Birch Hybrid impressions..

pearlygates

Gold Member
Here's a few preliminary photos...

CChybridday027.jpg

CChybridday032.jpg

CChybridday037.jpg

CChybridday039.jpg

My first impressions before even setting assembling my new kit were that of a touch of disappointment.
I dragged all three cartons that the kit came in up the stairs leading to my apartment and began digging in.

Everything seemed to be carefully packaged, however there were baggies of tension rods - for the drums that required assembly,(which were all drums but the snare drum) that had ruptured during shipment and spewed pieces throughout the box.. annoying, but NOT the end of the world. I think that this could have been avoided in more carefully packing those pieces. I ended up short a t-rod for the 16" floor tom.
I contacted Sigler and problem solved with regards to the missing rod.

The drums themselves looked to be expertly built, with nice sharp edges, beautiful grain, no indication of the use of any filler wood in the shell lay up.. just really really nice tight, round shells! Very impressed!
The finish (Sunset Burst) while having a few flaws ie; tiny air bubble (s) here an there, is.. in the grand scheme of things.. Breathtakingly beautiful! The chrome plating on the shell HW looked very good on my kit and the use of gaskets under lugs and other shell fixtures was a very nice touch as well! The bass drum claws are nicely made; cast and beautifully machined. The minor gripe I have is the fact that the machining of the lug insert nuts was not the greatest and required a dab of lubricant and additional care when installing t-rods., but everything went together nicely.
The kits come with a package containing 6 upgraded floor tom brackets and the hardware to attach them to the pre drilled floor tom shells...- more to assemble! Not a biggie. The upgraded leg brackets are very nicely machined and chromed. Chris Ward ( CC co-designer) mentioned that he was going to see that better accommodating packaging be used to eliminate having to assemble the leg brackets to the shells.

The hardware pack is amazing for the price!. I found that it is kinda hit or miss whether the factory uses grease where grease is needed. The standout piece for me is the HH500 highhat stand. This thing is HEAVY DUTY! The legs are heavy, double braced and have nice big rubber feet. the foot stabilizer plate is made of heavier gauge steel and everything is assembled and machined expertly! I didn't have a real op to play this stand yet, but from what I have seen so far, I like it.
There was concern voiced regarding the basket cinch nut and tilter mechanism on the snare drum stand being iffy. As I put my stand together, I noticed that the mechanism (titer) when tightened still seemed to wobble when tightened. Everything was dry and void of any lubricant. I took it upon myself to bust out my can of TriFlow (bicycle lubricant) and loosen up the tilter to close to the point of dis assembly and spray in some lube.. I did this to all the HW, wing nuts, pivots etc.. and let me tell you.. THAT was the ticket! My snare stand is a brick crap house.. no more wobbling, everything tightens up smoothly and rock solid! Even the basket cinch works great now! Don't loose hope on the snare drum stand.. It is very solid! The bass drum pedal looks to be of great quality as well. I don't know how much regular use it will see as I am favoring my Pearl dbl pedal for alot of what I do. I will however do a more comprehensive analysis of this set up including the performance of all the hardware. From what I have seen thus far, there is a lot to love about the CC Pro Birch Hybrid and only a few minor gripes.
More a little later..

Last edited:

jkevn

Very, Very nice. Striking kit, and thanks for the in-depth info.

ENRICO

Silver Member
congrats! it looks fantastic !!!

I'm waiting for your review about it's sound , aand don't forget to tell us what do you think about the kick-port

john gerrard

You must be a very lucky guy. About three weeks ago I ordered a Custom Classic Pro Jazz kit after reading your review about them. Now don't take me wrong I'm not blaming you. The edges on the kit I got were horrible. The really bad spots had been filled with an epoxy and the ones that weren't too bad were just left alone and there were divits and gouges, and they were as rough as all get out . I put each drum on a flat surface to check the trueness, and each drum had to be trued up. The floor tom leg holder stripped right out of the box along with one of the snare lug screws. Sigler was very good about sending me a new floor tom leg holder and a new snare lug. But I couldn't wait to get rid of them. Needles to say I lost my butt on them but I just couldn't trust them.

I found a 3 piece Tama Superstar on the GC used site and I couldn't be happier. These drums had beautiful edges and tuned up right away. The tom mounting hardware is second to none, as are the bass drum spurs.

I guess under the circumstances you get what you pay for. I hold nothing against Sigler Music,their customer service was great. BUT they are not in control of the quality control for the drums shipped from China. Who knows, someone may get lucky and get a set, or as in your case two sets that are just fine but then someone like me comes along and gets a real lemon.

That is just my experience and I'm glad you have been satisified with the drums that you have got from them. Myself, I'm just super happy that I got rid of mine and got the Tamas.

Best wishes. John

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I found a 3 piece Tama Superstar on the GC used site and I couldn't be happier. These drums had beautiful edges and tuned up right away. The tom mounting hardware is second to none, as are the bass drum spurs.
You can't go wrong with the Tama Superstar, Rockstar and Stagestar lines when it comes to affordable and good.
I have had the same experiences with all of those Tama kits.
You can't kill Tama hardware! I have only encountered one forum member that had problems with Tama hardware.

The Custom Classics are hit or miss.
pearlygates has been lucky so far.

Still, the CC's are a good buy because of the wonderful customer service of Sigler Music.

pearlygates

Gold Member
You must be a very lucky guy. About three weeks ago I ordered a Custom Classic Pro Jazz kit after reading your review about them. Now don't take me wrong I'm not blaming you. The edges on the kit I got were horrible. The really bad spots had been filled with an epoxy and the ones that weren't too bad were just left alone and there were divits and gouges, and they were as rough as all get out . I put each drum on a flat surface to check the trueness, and each drum had to be trued up. The floor tom leg holder stripped right out of the box along with one of the snare lug screws. Sigler was very good about sending me a new floor tom leg holder and a new snare lug. But I couldn't wait to get rid of them. Needles to say I lost my butt on them but I just couldn't trust them.

I guess under the circumstances you get what you pay for. I hold nothing against Sigler Music,their customer service was great. BUT they are not in control of the quality control for the drums shipped from China. Who knows, someone may get lucky and get a set, or as in your case two sets that are just fine but then someone like me comes along and gets a real lemon.

That is just my experience and I'm glad you have been satisified with the drums that you have got from them. Myself, I'm just super happy that I got rid of mine and got the Tamas.

Best wishes. John
So sorry to hear that John! You should have sent the kit back and got a replacement..
They would have paid for all the shipping.. You did indeed get a lemon. You are right in saying that Sigler is not there on a constant basis to oversee QC... I am an administrator of an inet drum forum that is in contact with Sigler. I will relay this message to them.
They are at the China factory now..as I type this post making some improvements to the CC line and possibly bringing back the PM6 (maple shell) ... Sorry for your bad experience. My kit is awesome!

pearlygates

Gold Member
Very, Very nice. Striking kit, and thanks for the in-depth info.
I will be posting more soon.. Thanks!
congrats! it looks fantastic !!!

I'm waiting for your review about it's sound , aand don't forget to tell us what do you think about the kick-port
Watch for a review.. So far.. these drums sound like they should cost alot more!!

05WideGuy

You should post this on the CC forum http://ccdrummerforum.niceboards.net/forum.htm, Chris Ward the owner is a member and he reads the posts.

Best wishes. John

pearlygates

Gold Member
You should post this on the CC forum http://ccdrummerforum.niceboards.net/forum.htm, Chris Ward the owner is a member and he reads the posts.

Chris is actually Sigler music center's GM and co designer of the Custom Classic drum line.
Improvements are being made to the brand as I type this. I believe, from the reviews I have read regarding CC drums, Mr Gerrards kit was a more isolated incident. I realize that not having personnel from CC overseeing the operation first hand, one is gonna slip through the cracks. I am also confident in dealing with Sigler music center, that they would have gone the distance to make this right. Problems like this one need to be brought to the attention of the company if they haven't already been. Sorry about your bad experience John.

Masheanhed

I believe before I would have sold it on the open market and took a loss I would have requested Sigler take it back and send me another. From what I understand they are great about customer service.

pearlygates

Gold Member
..So now that everything is set up and tuned..How does it sound?

Review of Custom Classic Pro Birch Hybrid drum set. 10-17-2010

Fit and finish:

The kit is packaged as a 6 pc, 2up and 2 down set with HD double braced hardware. The set can be purchased without the hardware as a shell only kit for $100 less.
The drums are all shallow depth with a 6x10”, 7x12”, 12x14” and a 14x16” (the 14 and 16” are floor toms with legs) The bass drum is an industry standard 18x22” and is virgin (No holes drilled for tom mounting bracket) and the snare drum is a standard sized 5.5x14”

The shells are 7ply 100% Asian birch with 45 degree bearing edges. The grain quality is outstanding and the edge work and interior sanding very -very nice. Unexpected at this price point. I set the drums on a flat surface (without heads) to check for shell trueness and was very happy to see that the shells were all nice and flat.
I ordered the CC PBH in the new Sunset Burst lacquer that apart from a couple very tiny air bubbles here and there is absolutely stunning. The gloss clear coat is brilliant and the high tension (long) lugs are very nicely chromed and attached to the shells with black mounting hardware. A nice touch that adds some more class to the great build of these drums! There are also rubber gaskets under all the shell hardware.. Nice. My wife comments on how beautiful these drums are and I have to agree. They look like they should cost a lot more than their $500 price tag!

Tuning ease:

I was impressed how easily this kit tuned up! The toms seem to hold their tuning quite admirably as well do the kick and snare drums. The range of tuning is fairly wide but seems to favor a medium tension on the toms and medium to low tension on the floors and kick. This is not to say that this kit won't sound good with a more cranked up tuning..it actually does sound mighty fine tuned higher for a fusionesque sound.

The Sound:

Being that these shells are 100% birch they are, by the cellular structure of the wood species, going to be higher pitched with a natural eq'd sound that is heavy on the low frequency and lighter in the mid/mid lows. I swapped out the kinda crappy stock single ply heads and decided to try some new Evans EC2 (SST) heads on all the tom batters with EC resos. As mentioned earlier, the drums tuned up effortlessly and once tuned up the ear to ear grin began. The birch shells coupled with the short tom depths produced a attack and punch laden tone that to me, is out of this world! The initial “snap” of the birch shells (with 45 deg edges) followed by a super fat tone with a nice short sustain that resonated just right. This kit would KILL for metal drummers as well as rockers or jazz players. The kick drum performed equally as well. Just fat and punchy as you'd expect from a good birch shell. I haven't experimented with different heads on the kick other than a REMO Powerstroke 3 (smooth white).
I imagine that an EVANS EMAD would be killer on this drum as well. I am generally not a big fan of stock snare drums, but this 5.5x14” birch snare sounds really good! It has a pretty decent tuning range and would be fine to use as the main snare drum or move it to the side and use it as an aux drum.

Conclusion: All things considered with the missing t-rod, a couple small blems in the finish and HW that needed some lubing, the Custom Classic Pro Birch Hybrid is a winner! For $500 and free shipping, you are getting a kit that is not only affordable for beginning drummers, but a kit that ANY drummer could be proud to play. In the studio this kit would be a star! Live, I think it would be equally at home. There are going to be those who will turn their noses at these kits. But for drummers on a budget who are looking for a quality kit in fit, finish and sound..to me the CCPBH is a no brainer!

I will be recording a you tube video showcasing this kit and will also be in the studio with a prog rock band sometime in the near future so I will be putting these tubs through their paces.

Last edited:

Devils Haircut

My Custom Classic Pro Birch Jazz kit is beautiful and sounds just as good, if not better, than my Tama Starclassic Performer (also birch) kit.

THERE ARE THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW...

1.) I did my research before buying and found people were having problems with the floor tom legs being too short. (Yes, they are.)

2.) Also, I read that a few people were having problems with the floor tom leg brackets stripping or breaking. (One of mine just stripped out today, a week after I received the kit. I have only tightened it down ONCE and was removing the legs when the threads stripped out. I did not over tighten them, and was very cautious seeing as how I was already aware of the problem.)

3.) Finally, I found that one guy had his rack tom arm/mount fall apart. I have not experienced this and have my fingers crossed.

Overall, this is a great kit for the money and better than anything else you can get for the price, IF you are willing to give it a little TLC and fix up the weak points. Sigler is great from what I've heard, and I will be contacting them on Monday about my floor tom bracket. I need to measure the screw spacing on those leg mounts, because I'd rather replace all three with a better set and prevent a possible gig-killer.

Masheanhed

My Custom Classic Pro Birch Jazz kit is beautiful and sounds just as good, if not better, than my Tama Starclassic Performer (also birch) kit.

THERE ARE THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW...

1.) I did my research before buying and found people were having problems with the floor tom legs being too short. (Yes, they are.)

2.) Also, I read that a few people were having problems with the floor tom leg brackets stripping or breaking. (One of mine just stripped out today, a week after I received the kit. I have only tightened it down ONCE and was removing the legs when the threads stripped out. I did not over tighten them, and was very cautious seeing as how I was already aware of the problem.)

3.) Finally, I found that one guy had his rack tom arm/mount fall apart. I have not experienced this and have my fingers crossed.

Overall, this is a great kit for the money and better than anything else you can get for the price, IF you are willing to give it a little TLC and fix up the weak points. Sigler is great from what I've heard, and I will be contacting them on Monday about my floor tom bracket. I need to measure the screw spacing on those leg mounts, because I'd rather replace all three with a better set and prevent a possible gig-killer.

Are you talking about the Hybrid Birch or the Pro Birch Jazz?

1) I think where the problem lies is the floor toms are shorter sized that most (16x14 and 14x12) so either longer legs or setting the leg brackets lower on the shell would have taken care of this problem.

2) I have had mine a year and a half and had no problems with anything stripping out. I also don't gorilla-knuckle tigheten for hurricane winds either. But this does seem to be a common problem.

3) No problems with tom arms or mounts...yet.

For $500 and all you get there are bound to be a few problems here and there unfortunately. I paid $500 for a set of CB 700 Internationales in 1988, and compared to those the CCs are miles ahead. I bought mine with the idea of having a good practice kit I could gig with on occassion but have ended up using them to gig quite abit. Of course I am not gigging twice on weekends/every weekend either.

Devils Haircut

Are you talking about the Hybrid Birch or the Pro Birch Jazz?

1) I think where the problem lies is the floor toms are shorter sized that most (16x14 and 14x12) so either longer legs or setting the leg brackets lower on the shell would have taken care of this problem.

2) I have had mine a year and a half and had no problems with anything stripping out. I also don't gorilla-knuckle tigheten for hurricane winds either. But this does seem to be a common problem.

3) No problems with tom arms or mounts...yet.

For $500 and all you get there are bound to be a few problems here and there unfortunately. I paid $500 for a set of CB 700 Internationales in 1988, and compared to those the CCs are miles ahead. I bought mine with the idea of having a good practice kit I could gig with on occassion but have ended up using them to gig quite abit. Of course I am not gigging twice on weekends/every weekend either.

I was talking about my pro birch jazz, which has a 14x14 floor tom. I really didn't over tighten them, I promise! These kits sound so good though.