Current state of add on accessories - for those on a budget

Frank

Gold Member
I'm new to the electronic drum journey. Dwelling in the budget zone, as I always do.

I have been surprised by the state of add ons. Yeah, there are a few out there, but, for any particular thing you need, there aren't many choices, and definitely not many that are well rated, affordable, and can take a punch.

Thinking of things like:
- Better hi hats
- Larger, more durable snares.

For hi hats, yeah, there are the Lemon hats - which get good and bad reviews. Of course, to acquire those, um, budget hats, you need to basically double the price for the shipping.

Then snares. Yeah, I can buy an HXW Avatar or an Alesis for 60 ish. But it's the same as the snares on the low end kits. Small, and not designed to take a punishing.
I would think it would be quite easy for some of the low end companies to take a piccolo shell, put a rubber rim on, put trigger on, and be able to sell it for a profit for $75, not $250.

Have you noticed things labeled for musicians are generally higher priced? We’re a specialized subset of humanity. Higher prices for things is the price of admission.

Nah, I don't buy it. I get that high end, rugged gear needs to cost.
But there are tons of more budget stuff that lots of us have spent a whole lifetime playing.

Last edited:
Alesis and Simmons have basic single zone cymbals and pads for cheap. If you want fancier features like multiple zones or choke for example look up pinetech or lemon or medeli.

I would think it would be quite easy for some of the low end companies to take a piccolo shell, put a rubber rim on, put trigger on, and be able to sell it for a profit for $75, not $250.
There's a guy in Oz who does exactly that who I've purchased from in the past and like @Doraemon says, no reason why you can't do the same yourself.

From my experience I will say that while the triggering on them was perfectly fine (for toms at least) I definitely noticed the Rolands triggered better when I went back to them.

Then why don't you just do that. You can buy all the parts online.

I'm eventually going to. But, I'm almost lazy and wouldn't mind an out of the box solution, especially for a bigger snare, that I can afford.

I initiated my fall down the rabbit hole. Taking a 13" low end snare of mine and converting it to electronic. Mesh head, rubber edge, Pintech trigger.

I've got a top of the range dtx6 with the 'proper' hi hats. However, as good as they are I've resorted to using real hi hats with a microphone and mixing it in with the rest of the E kit using a small behringer mixer. Better sound and playability and stops me going down the rabbit hole of trying to find an E kit solution, which when it comes to hi hats is a dead end.

I've got a top of the range dtx6 with the 'proper' hi hats. However, as good as they are I've resorted to using real hi hats with a microphone and mixing it in with the rest of the E kit using a small behringer mixer. Better sound and playability and stops me going down the rabbit hole of trying to find an E kit solution, which when it comes to hi hats is a dead end.

I've had a similar thought. I'd rather not, but, have definitely had a similar thought.

So, my own accessorizing has gone this way so far:

- Goedrum hi hat controller - big, big, Big difference in open hi hat performance. Worth every penny.

- Pintech trigger on my snare - poorly performing at this point. But, I also cheaped out with a single ply head. I need a double ply head and some gels to give it a fair chance.

Next up: finding an alternative hi hat pad. Stock pad just doesn't feel right. It also has poor response with 16ths. Going to swap that out for a dual zone better cymbal. Or fall further down the rabbit hole trying to convert low volume hi hats. Single zone for top hits is I'm sure easy, but doing that plus edge zone is probably less so.

Back