Current drum trends you wish would go away

My ply drums are something else you'll be prying from my cold dead hands.

And about 500,000 others among us...But again, if you like steel or aluminum or stave drums, that’s great! More variety makes life more interesting. When we’re all the same it really is time for drum machines to take over the world.

vyacheslav post was still interesting about the fact that some trends could be a problem when you share equipment with other drummers.
The "no rack tom" trend or 16" Hihat would put me in difficulty personally with my band if I had to use that kind of kit from somebody else. Same with the over deep snare or extra high bass drum. That said, of course everybody can play whatever he likes, that isn't the point I think, but to go far from what we can call "a standard" drum kit can be a pain for the one who need to share your kit or be a pain to you if one day you need to play on a standard kit if you're not used too.

I think you're missing the point slightly here. I think what annoys a lot of posters in this thread is that many drummers follow a trend not because it suits them, but just because the other cool drummers are doing this and so they too want to be cool without thinking for themselves.

So yes, I agree with you that you should be able to do what you want with your drums and be as original as you want, but set them up according to your own wants, needs and tastes, not just because the cool kid of the moment is doing it.

All of that said, it can be fun finding out about people's little gripes, however irrational and unnecessary they appear to be.

I see. Well, I still think some of the posts are silly. But silly isn't bad.

Loops, clicks, and Beat Detective.

I don't mind new stuff, but if I have gripe it's one I share with many musicians that grew up with smething different involving more dynamics, creativity and playing together.

It's not like there's no stuff like that out there, but there's preciously little of it in the charts.

It's about music in general, but it's all about visuals and image. We watch music more than we listen to it and the norm isn't to be creative and challenge the listeners a little bit, but simply sounding like everybody else. I swear that the few times I check out the top 40 list I've heard the same 4-5 songs, the same two chord progressions with just different lyrics and nothing else for 20 years.

In all honestly, one of the formulas is one I can enjoy if done well, but mostly not.

I'm not gonna praise old the classics because even my old favourite artist I'm quite tired of.

I don’t particularly care for ten inch toms or short floor toms. I don’t play em. I grew up with big toms so that’s what I like and play, I do happen to like my 20” long bass drum, but that’s me I’m a free spirit!

I found this funnier than I should.

My main gripe at the mo is gospel chops for me aka dynamics are for pussies drumming

They're definitely fun to play, but not entirely practical.

I do enjoy watching and learning various patterns for fun, but there's no way (for me) to use them stylistically.

Not entirely drum related, but a local 50’s band plays to backing tracks - you can hear saxes and a horn section playing, even though the band is just guitars, keyboard, drums. If you’re going to play 50’s Rock n’ Roll, you shouldn’t need to augment the band with backing tracks.

I really prefer to hear a live band that actually plays everything live. As soon as I hear extra parts coming through I feel a bit disappointed, like its a fraud.

As for this thread - the title says ‘trends you wish would go away’. Which means its just MY opinion about what bugs ME. Definitely not an attack on anyone who plays any of the things listed so far. Enjoying the responses so far.

I found this funnier than I should.

My main gripe at the mo is gospel chops for me aka dynamics are for pussies drumming

The instagram gospel videos ugh. The chops are definitely impressive but I view that the same way I watch people that are amazing at marching snare. Talented but lame (to me) and not musical. I'd much prefer to see someone like Gavin Harrison who can go full spectrum from nothing to everything.

I love big cymbals because I like how they sit in the music instead of piercing through it. There are times, however, where I hear a drummer playing large cymbals, and I wish the ride had more definition. Having said that, I don't begrudge anyone who wants to play smaller cymbals. To each their own.

Having said all that, I do have a hard time with super high pitched snare drums. I'm talking about the kind where the audience blinks or winces every time the drummer hits the snare. That's not really a current trend though, just a personal pet peeve.

The current trend that's not been mentioned, is the trend of not using drums or drummers at all. I wish that would go away!

AGREE!
Spent the last two weeks working on material for artists that have 100% programed drum tracks on their albums.

I hate it. It's a control thing with producers and artists. They want it a specific way, and don't trust the opinion of a drummer. I actually had an artist tell me they don't really like Ride Cymbals, so there aren't any on the record. My reply was, well I don't like D strings, so how about we cut that off your guitar?

So much of the crap producers are programing they "think" is creative, but it's not musical at all. Has no groove or feel, and goes against what any well educated drummer would actually do.

Sorry for the rant, but this is an issue that I deal with on a daily basis.

The instagram gospel videos ugh. The chops are definitely impressive but I view that the same way I watch people that are amazing at marching snare. Talented but lame (to me) and not musical. I'd much prefer to see someone like Gavin Harrison who can go full spectrum from nothing to everything.

With ya there.

Always on dead heads too and holy cymbals slanting away from the drummer.

Mr Harrison is cool I've had the pleasure with Porcupine Tree three times. Wish they'd get back together!

I don't have any that I wish would go away, even drum machines.

I am however always puzzled at the kits with 15 cymbals. I generally only listen to pop/rock and, maybe it's my ears but, I never hear very many different cymbals being played in the songs.

I don't have any that I wish would go away, even drum machines.

I am however always puzzled at the kits with 15 cymbals. I generally only listen to pop/rock and, maybe it's my ears but, I never hear very many different cymbals being played in the songs.

For real. I see no need for more than 4 cymbals. Ride, small crash, big crash, and splash. Plus hats LOL.

For real. I see no need for more than 4 cymbals. Ride, small crash, big crash, and splash. Plus hats LOL.

I did a session last year and the engineer was pretty well known for his drum sounds

After he spent a while talking abut how he did it, I asked “What about cymbals”
His reply: “ They pretty much go Pshhh”

Two crashes (one for each hand) is usually all the music needs.
Throw in a special efrects cymbal and you’re covered

Back