Current drum trends you wish would go away

Scratch that, I have one. Constant complaining about budget minded, quality pedals from the major manufacturers not being fast enough. Sorry, but it isn't the pedal, it's you. Go practice more. I know it isn't a trend per say, but no one complains about their $600 pedal not being fast enough.

I feel like my DW9000 isn't fast enough all the time... then I just realize I need to practice more.

Not all big cymbals are gongy, or have incredibly long sustain or sound dark, but at some point you can no longer reach the bell on the ride or get your hi hat stand where you need it, without the hats eating into your snare real estate or forcing something else further away.

Not all deep snares sound deep or unresponsive. It all depends, but depending on your height, yeah, you might not be able get a deep snare to go as low on the stand as you like.

The death by moongel thing is annoying, I’ll have to agree. At some point you have to wonder why have drums at all. Wide open drums don’t sound right with blast beats, but everything usually dwindles down to the lowest common denominator, especially in shared stage/back line set situations.

I’ve played just about every combo of set there is. I usually don’t even move things. Just too much time wasted. I’ve also played the 1 snare/ 1 FT thing when I had a 7pc at home. You just adapt. The audience usually doesn’t expect a Neil Peart fill and won’t mock you for not doing one.

I’ve seen a few...I do mean a few drummers do interesting things with the white noise/stack stuff. I have an Ozone. It’s super smooth and I like it a lot, but having said that, I can’t seem to find a good place to use it. The interesting thing about the Ozone is it’s made me like my Wuhan China less. So much so, it’s spent most of last year in a cymbal bag in favor of the Ozone, but the Ozone has been played less than the China ever was.

I suppose that’s more of a preference change than to say the Ozone is a fad. Don’t know. Sure is a smooth cymbal though!

Being the old Fuddy Duddy that I am some of the trends I wish would go away are :

Beer Can Bass drums ( depths longer than 16")
Hihats larger than 15 "
Crashes larger than 20 "
Three Ply drum heads
Colored drum heads ( Black, colors)
Cajons

I just bought a classic maple kit and all new Paiste cymbals to the tune of $5000+.

I use two ply batters, but the only muffling is a felt strip in the kick. The cymbals are all big.

I use longer length 5A or 7A sticks, and don’t hit particularly hard. I’ve never broken a cymbal, very rarely break a stick or head.

My kit sounds great, and is very comfortable to play.

If your life is making you so unhappy that you feel more in control by knocking other people’s taste and choices in what they play, I hope things get better for you soon.

I, and probably no one else here, bought my gear to ruin your day, but if it does I guess it’s your problem to deal with.

Last edited:
While I can play anything at this point, you'll have to pry my DW 9000 from my cold dead hands.

I don't sense that Vyacheslov was being sour or bitter in any way. Heck, it's a point of very important discussion. I don't know how old he is, but I'm in the Gripey Old Man territory, so I feel free to issue all the "Get Off My Lawn!" proclamations I want.

To wit:

- Cymbals tilted away from the drummer. Don't do that. It offends me, and it looks stupid, too. And get off my lawn!

- No cymbal felts or wing nuts. What's wrong with you? Sensitive and socially-minded engineers have slaved over their drawing boards for well over a century to figure out a way to keep your cymbals on the stands. They are surely very depressed over this trend. Don't do that. It looks sloppy. And get get off my lawn!

- And, while I'm at it, stop putting your toms in snare stands. This should be an easy one. They're called SNARE stands for a reason - they hold up snares. Dummies. Get a TOM stand instead. And get off my lawn, for cryin out loud!

- I'm getting really worked up here . . . don't get me started on those 30" crash/ride cymbals. Don't ... do ... it!

GeeDeeEmm

- And, while I'm at it, stop putting your toms in snare stands. This should be an easy one. They're called SNARE stands for a reason - they hold up snares. Dummies. Get a TOM stand instead. And get off my lawn, for cryin out loud!
GeeDeeEmm

Never found a mount that lets me pull the tom out from under my cymbal enough. The snare stand gives me that flexibility. Whether others do it for looks or not I can’t say, but ergonomics wins.

Never found a mount that lets me pull the tom out from under my cymbal enough. The snare stand gives me that flexibility. Whether others do it for looks or not I can’t say, but ergonomics wins.

I tried a snare stand before I bough my arch mount. I found if I tightened the basket enough to secure the tom it sounded choked, so I got the arch.

However, I enthusiastically support your right to use one, and anybody’s right to use what works for them. :)

Go on with your bad self, vyacheslav. I don't see any issues with a little rant every once in a while.

To answer the thread topic, a trend that I just don't "get" would be effects cymbals, stacks, etc. I guess I'm more of a meat-and-potatoes kind of guy and like to see the limits of my equipment stretched as opposed to adding more pieces. Second, the exponential increase in cymbal lines/types is insane to me. There is option overload with cymbals, and companies are still finding ways to successfully market esoteric sounds to us. I always think back to Ecclesiastes: "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun."

Now, in the spirit of ranting, a little part of me dies when I see kits fully outfitted with budget line cymbals. It's a total waste of money and seems like the choice of an uneducated, impatient purchaser/player. The only exception to that would be a heavy hitter using that number of budget cymbals, and in that case, another part of me dies if said heavy hitter is pummeling away on $350 K Zildjians and will turn around and buy another set as soon as they're ruined.

- Cymbals tilted away from the drummer. Don't do that. It offends me, and it looks stupid, too. And get off my lawn!

- No cymbal felts or wing nuts. What's wrong with you? Sensitive and socially-minded engineers have slaved over their drawing boards for well over a century to figure out a way to keep your cymbals on the stands. They are surely very depressed over this trend. Don't do that. It looks sloppy. And get get off my lawn!

- I'm getting really worked up here . . . don't get me started on those 30" crash/ride cymbals. Don't ... do ... it!

GeeDeeEmm

I'm actually with you on all of these. Of course the middle two are superficial and just remind me of my first hobbled together drumset before I had proper gear so there's that association; the extremely-way-too-big cymbals bother me from a practical standpoint; and the tilted away cymbal thing has to be some collusion between cymbal and stick manufacturers to sell replacements because other than for attention, I see no other reason to ever do that with a cymbal that's more than two feet off the ground...

Last edited:

GeeDeeEmm

So if they are labeled as a tom/snare stand then I can use it for my tom?

More "get off my lawn" complaints!

-Suitcases as bass drums
-Stacks of seashells and various garbage on all cymbals
-The above will have the obligatory coated EMAD on their floor tom
-Mapex/Meinl/Tama youtube videos where everyone has a beanie on with tilted away cymbals playing uber jank musak sounding garbage
-S$%t eating grinning pretty girls that are mediocre at best drummers acting like they are Vinnie reborn on youtube

-instagram filtered overhead pics of the hipster 2-3 pc kit with jingles/seashells, emad on floor tom, meinl extra drys, electronic sample pad, fancy rug, various eclectic percussion do-dads everywhere... the beanie on head and fitted vintage clothing, tattoos, would be pictured, but they are busy taking the pic. Maybe a hip beverage visible in the pic as well.

More "get off my lawn" complaints!

-Suitcases as bass drums
-Stacks of seashells and various garbage on all cymbals
-The above will have the obligatory coated EMAD on their floor tom
-Mapex/Meinl/Tama youtube videos where everyone has a beanie on with tilted away cymbals playing uber jank musak sounding garbage
-S$%t eating grinning pretty girls that are mediocre at best drummers acting like they are Vinnie reborn on youtube

-instagram filtered overhead pics of the hipster 2-3 pc kit with jingles/seashells, emad on floor tom, meinl extra drys, electronic sample pad, fancy rug, various eclectic percussion do-dads everywhere... the beanie on head and fitted vintage clothing, tattoos, would be pictured, but they are busy taking the pic. Maybe a hip beverage visible in the pic as well.

So are you saying you don't like tattoos, or just on the S$%t eating hipster crowd? :)

Except if you go further back there was no such thing as a crash or a ride cymbal. They were just cymbals.

Back when I was a youngster and couldn't afford decent cymbals, I used to borrow marching cymbals from school. Even recorded with them and nobody ever knew the difference!

fusion sizes: 10" 12" 14" 20" shallow drums instead of wider 12" 14" 16" 22" deeper drums. Some might have a very valid reason playing those sizes but why have a fusion kit in a heavy rock band? probably because thats all that was on offer in the drum store!

anything that prioritises looks over utility like having everything perfectly flat to the point where it is bad for your wrists and the equipment

The whole "everything must be perfectly flat" thing is baffling to me. I remember it first started becoming a huge fad around the time Travis Barker got huge. Before then, people would just put drums in whatever positions felt comfortable to them (crazy, I know). But suddenly, drummers were breaking out levels to check the flatness of everything. And there were those who would lament that their cymbal stands with teethed tilters didn't have a 'flat' position. But while it may not be not my cup of tea, to each their own.

The trend I'm not a fan of is the "You don't set your drums up like mine, so you're wrong" mentality that seems so popular. Opinions are one thing. But I've seen people (as I'm sure you all have) get downright mean over stupid stuff like tom angles, legged vs. mounted floor toms, cymbal height, hardware choices, head choices, someone's drums being too pricey, or too cheap, muffling vs. wide open, drum depths, etc. With everybody out there, trying to be unique, and have their own sound/style/look, it's very odd when people get upset that your gear isn't like theirs.

The whole "everything must be perfectly flat" thing is baffling to me. I remember it first started becoming a huge fad around the time Travis Barker got huge. Before then, people would just put drums in whatever positions felt comfortable to them (crazy, I know). But suddenly, drummers were breaking out levels to check the flatness of everything. And there were those who would lament that their cymbal stands with teethed tilters didn't have a 'flat' position. But while it may not be not my cup of tea, to each their own.

A counter-trend to that is the near-vertical tilting of cymbals so ubiquitous in the 70s and 80s... rides, chinas in particular. Which don't stay at that angle unless cranked way down with a bunch of felts..

A counter-trend to that is the near-vertical tilting of cymbals so ubiquitous in the 70s and 80s... rides, chinas in particular. Which don't stay at that angle unless cranked way down with a bunch of felts..

True! And now we have drummers tilting them far away.

Maybe the next trend for 2019 will be to mount your cymbals below the drums.

Back