Crush Drums

A-customs

Silver Member
Looking from anyone that has a kit..........How are they in a Micd live venue.Sound wise, Do they sound full ? are they Weak??? Ive been on the edge about grabbing a 3 piece .price is around 550.00,and i think the clear look is really cool..Not that i need them,but would dig having them as long as they sound good.......

Super Phil

You're looking at the acrylics? I was thinking about buying a set of those also a couple years ago. I didn't get them, but they're still cool. I'm curious to hear from anyone who has them too.

A-customs

Silver Member
You're looking at the acrylics? I was thinking about buying a set of those also a couple years ago. I didn't get them, but they're still cool. I'm curious to hear from anyone who has them too.
yes i think they are wild for the money.id love to grab a kit

7DaysToTheWolves

I have a good friend who's in a band that plays on the clear acrylics, they sound pretty powerful from what I've heard live performance-wise, and really rich in tone. I'm thinking about snagging a Crush snare, myself.

incrementalg

Gold Member
I heard a set at a bar gig and thought they sounded great. I was surprised by how round the tone was. It's not always easy to hear tone in an un mic'd setting, but they cut through nicely. I think this drummer had them tuned a little on the high side which kept them from sounding flappy out front.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Acrylics are no different to mic live than any other kit. They do tend to suffer more from errant high overtones that are picked up if the close mic's are too close compared to less bright drums, but appropriate gig preparation can easily get around that, & any decent engineer should be able to deal with that without getting the tape out.

Looking from anyone that has a kit..........How are they in a Micd live venue.Sound wise, Do they sound full ? are they Weak??? Ive been on the edge about grabbing a 3 piece .price is around 550.00,and i think the clear look is really cool..Not that i need them,but would dig having them as long as they sound good.......
I got a Crush floor tom. It came without any washers around the tension rods, then when I contacted Crush to try and get the tension rod specs so I could buy washers they didn't respond. I thought it sounded like crap, but that was because it was way harder to tune without washers. Once I got it tuned though it was amazing. Amazing tone and resonance. I don't know if there's a drumming term for it or not, but once it was tuned it was hard to hear the sound of the stick hitting the head. It was just a low pitched hum sound when you hit it. I'd definitely get a kit if I had the money.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I've got one of those as my main gig rig, it's a good little kit and easy to transport.. The 13x13 floor tom doesn't tune as low as you would like a floor Tom to be but it is just a bop kit. It's also pretty civilized as far as volume is concerned.. Is it my favourite sound? No but it does sound good. If I could find an orphan 8" and 15/16" I would probably buy them.

I have tried to contact crush about a lug with a collapsed thread and I get the feeling they're busy building drums and not checking emails.

Anyway here's a little iPhone recording of me playing a beat.

http://youtu.be/9ZSy3E7Acog

STXBob

Gold Member
I heard from a dealer that Crush is in an ownership transition. That might explain the communications breakdown. According to the dealer, it also explains low pricing; they're trying to blow out old stock before the "new" stuff - whatever that is - kicks in. He has a Chameleon double-kick 6-piece for something like $500.

YMMV.