Crush drums vs. Drumcraft what's better?

dtrushr30dw

Ive been thinking about getting a new set to possibly replace my pdp x7. My friend has the series 8 kit by drumcraft, it's a 10 piece. I played it yesterday and it was decent with stock heads but I still prefer my dw. I was wondering where crush drums would be as far as comparison to these companies. These means quality of construction, sound, and features.
- I play a lot of stuff like dream theater and rush so would crush drums fit this style of prog drumming? I am just trying to learn more and get some opinions on these companies.
Thanks. (first post)..

Dw
PDP
Sabian
Pro mark
LP
Wuhan 14 inch china

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Ive been thinking about getting a new set to possibly replace my pdp x7. My friend has the series 8 kit by drumcraft, it's a 10 piece. I played it yesterday and it was decent with stock heads but I still prefer my dw. I was wondering where crush drums would be as far as comparison to these companies. These means quality of construction, sound, and features.
- I play a lot of stuff like dream theater and rush so would crush drums fit this style of prog drumming? I am just trying to learn more and get some opinions on these companies.
Thanks. (first post)..

Dw
PDP
Sabian
Pro mark
LP
Wuhan 14 inch china
I firstly thing you have to abandon,is the mindset that any one brand of drums, is that much better for any particular genre of music.Secondly,all things being equal,there is no one drum company,thats the best.Period.

Lets look at Neil Peart.Through out his career,he played,Rogers,Slingerland,Ludwig.DW,and probably a few others that I forgot.So,they ALL seemed to have worked for Rush.

Mike Portnoy,mostly Tama.Mike Mangini plays Pearl.So those brands seem to work for DT.

Crush,just like most other mass production drum companys,produce different levels of sound,features,shell/hardware,and build quality.I haven't played them,but from what I understand,they comete favorably with other well made drums,in their respective class.

There is no one better then the other.But there is one that may be better to YOU.Buy with your ears.Play what you think sounds better.It dosen't matter what brand of drums..........its the DRUMMER.Mike Mangini could make Tupperware sound good.

Steve B

bonzolead

Platinum Member
I'm getting a Crush Acrylic kit, the kit is under a $1000 for 5 drums.

I've seen them up close and they are sweet indeed..seamless shells,an offset dual 45 edge, the snare comes with die cast hoops & they sound as good as they look.change the heads & they'll sound even better.

Believe me I love Ludwig but if I was to get the same thing in Ludwig it would run approx. $2500 that is just too rich for my blood..ha ha

IMO the people @ Crush really have some cool ideas besides the rubber feet for there bass claws, on some of their kits they have a sharp edge on the batter side & a rounded edge on the resonant side..kinda cool & they wax all their edges on the wood kits which is cool also IMO.

For their price point I think they are very competitive with other brands.
they offer a sweet sounding kit @ a sweet price what's not to like..lol

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

dwdrummerky

I'm getting a Crush Acrylic kit, the kit is under a $1000 for 5 drums.

I've seen them up close and they are sweet indeed..seamless shells,an offset dual 45 edge, the snare comes with die cast hoops & they sound as good as they look.change the heads & they'll sound even better.

Believe me I love Ludwig but if I was to get the same thing in Ludwig it would run approx. $2500 that is just too rich for my blood..ha ha

IMO the people @ Crush really have some cool ideas besides the rubber feet for there bass claws, on some of their kits they have a sharp edge on the batter side & a rounded edge on the resonant side..kinda cool & they wax all their edges on the wood kits which is cool also IMO.

For their price point I think they are very competitive with other brands.
they offer a sweet sounding kit @ a sweet price what's not to like..lol

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead
Right on Bonzolead! I really like the acrylic kits they offer.

dtrushr30dw

@Tamadrm

I agree that the drum company doesn't have to associate itself with a certain genre except for the few out there. Neil Peart also played tama in the late 70's early 80's. Sound to me really comes down to head selection and diameter, sticks...
I really think mike mangini's pearls suck, but thats just my opinion. I'm used to the wonderful sound of Mike Portnoy's tama drums.
Thanks for the input ;)

dtrushr30dw

@Sticks4drums
Hey dude I believe i remember seeing your video of your drumset on youtube its sick.
My drum instructor told me the other day that mapex were common in metal so thats where the whole drum craft vs. crush thing came up.
Mike Portnoys mapex sounded incredible on awake.
LOVE YOUR KIT!

dtrushr30dw

@Sticks4drums
I just might. I played my friends mapex black panther 13" snare and it was incredible. Great for some blastbeats and really metal in general with they way i had tuned it. I would really consider the mapex line if they offered octobons. I heard that mike portnoy's were made custom for him in the 90's.

dtrushr30dw

@Sticks4drums
I saw that and thought about. I'm very anal about everything matching so if i have a dw and want octobans i'll use there rata toms. So i like it to match haha. Btw im a noob on this site, where do I go to get an avatar? And how do i post all the stuff I use on the bottom of my messages. Ex: how you have a sticks4drums logo on the bottom of your posts.
Thanks.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I've seen the Crush Acrylic kit at the shop and I've checked it out.
It's VERY nice.
The clear bass drum hoops is a cool touch.

A friend of mine who works there picked up the Acrylic 6.5 snare. It sounds great, and the price is awesome.

Crush drums seem to be very well made-at least all the kits I've seen at the shop anyway (probably 5 kits, maybe more).
Their hardware, although it's basically a "DW" look/design, is pretty dang nice too.
Their lugs are growing on me too.

I don't know anything about Drumcraft drums.

dtrushr30dw

@KarlCrafton
-I played my friends drum craft series 8 and its not too bad. I really can't wait to play a crush though. The birch, bubinga, and maple all sound nice.