Critical guidance needed

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
My friend considers himself the best and says his improvisation is too challenging for anyone.
Has your friend ever watched any other drummers before he drew this conclusion? Does he have a hearing impairment-i do and I know that has impacted my drumming-hearing aids really help. Ask your friend ,since a drummer, to join the forum so he can make his own arguments. Are you a drummer and have you given him the bad news-he isn't the best? He may not like the criticism but real friends have given me corrections which I'm thankful.

pkettula

Has your friend ever watched any other drummers before he drew this conclusion? Does he have a hearing impairment-i do and I know that has impacted my drumming-hearing aids really help. Ask your friend ,since a drummer, to join the forum so he can make his own arguments. Are you a drummer and have you given him the bad news-he isn't the best? He may not like the criticism but real friends have given me corrections which I'm thankful.

..well, yes I told these news..and he is still digesting them and resisting all these facts as well. I guess truth is too much for him, but as a friend I want to help and support him.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
..well, yes I told these news..and he is still digesting them and resisting all these facts as well. I guess truth is too much for him, but as a friend I want to help and support him.
If your friend told you that robbing banks was the right thing to do; how would you help and support him?

Timmy

This video is his genuine attempt of improvisation. My friend honestly believes that he is the best improvisation drummer of the World. Now, once you have seen this video, do you think that it is a valid statement? If not, how much work is needed to be the best?
He is most definitely the greatest drummer in the history of mankind. I could only wish to get his leftovers. Does he need a wingman?

Millions of people have played the drumset and your friend needs to DIGEST that he might not be THE BEST one out all of them? Does he realize how much time the best drummers in the world have spent to become what they are? If that doesn't give him a more realistic perspective, you can't help him.
Aside from that: What does "best" mean anyway - can it be measured? Evaluating, learning, correcting, playing with people, getting lessons will help him to improve. If he plays drums thinking that he might be the best, he'll impede the learning process.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I hate there is a language barrier I see because I see the sincerity in your post now-I once again apologize for teasing you over your initial post. You are a good friend and he really enjoys playing drums and I'd encourage that. I'd just encourage and introduce him to new ideas from videos and what not so rather than just improvise he can build a drum vocabulary to improvise even better-lead him into discovery. He'll thank you. So many here have guided me in a similar fashion. It's all good.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
The guy in the video is only at about the 2nd stage of drumming out of thousands, the delusional stage.

This is where newer drummers actually believe that they are better than any drummer who came before them, including the legends, despite not having many hours working on their drumming at all. Kid stuff.

You can see how re-diculous that sounds. It's like someone flying a paper airplane and then claiming they are the greatest fighter pilot in the world.

You definitely should not encourage this type of behavior. It's damaging.

He may have a good shot...but only if he murders his delusional ego and opens his mind.

Last edited:

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
This is allready the third or fourth time that a thread like this is started by this member and each time is about showing some crap playing and asking if this is considered "the best playing ever" or "the best improvise skills ever" or whatever "best ever"..

To me this is pure trolling and i have no idea why someone would even try to reply in a serious way..

I would also not be surprised if "pkettula" is laughing a lot each time when he or she sees that on a drummer-forum some people actually reply serious to this..

Which is not meant as critisism to those people btw..

pkettula

I am not trolling. I am trying to help the man. please be more constructive in your feedback. You say crap playing and then there is another one who wants to be "his wingman". I am confused.

Benthedrummer

I am not trolling. I am trying to help the man. please be more constructive in your feedback. You say crap playing and then there is another one who wants to be "his wingman". I am confused.
You have actually had some VERY good feedback. Very constructive with some great ideas about helping your friend.

I very rarely speak like this, but......if you post something on a forum asking for feedback, you are going to receive some positive and some negative.

You will not get only the responses that you are seeking or wish for.

No one can help this drummer friend except himself.

Maybe your friend could join the forum and then certain members could actually chat with him and feedback will be more immediate and effective.

There are members on here who are having their practice time interrupted by these posts of yours.

So.....in order to be the best drummer in the world. Stop asking if you are the best. Actually practice like the members have suggested on here......then let the world TELL you that you are the best drummer in the world.

MntnMan62

The person who said they want to be his wingman is being sarcastic. Sarcasm is one form of humor. I haven’t seen one single responsefrom anyone that would suggest this guy is a good player, let alone the best in the world. Now, go back to your friend and tell him the consensus is that he is not even close to being the best in the world. There is plenty of constructive criticism in this thread for you to take back to your “friend”. And if your friend doesn’t believe you or disagrees with this consensus, have him watch Jens Hannemann’s Polynesian Nightmare and tell him his playing is on par with Jens.

Benthedrummer

The person who said they want to be his wingman is being sarcastic. Sarcasm is one form of humor. I haven’t seen one single responsefrom anyone that would suggest this guy is a good player, let alone the best in the world. Now, go back to your friend and tell him the consensus is that he is not even close to being the best in the world. There is plenty of constructive criticism in this thread for you to take back to your “friend”. And if your friend doesn’t believe you or disagrees with this consensus, have him watch Jens Hannemann’s Polynesian Nightmare and tell him his playing is on par with Jens.
Dude!

OMG........Jens Hannemann. You are a champ.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I like Good, or getting Better, but "Best" seems like a death trap-how can you grow if at the pinnacle of the best. A strange philosophy if you think about it. I doubt any of the drummers we adore ever think they are best-because generally humble-there are some exceptions-not mentioning any names like Bozzio or anybody. ROFL!

MntnMan62

Even Bozzio had his wake up call when Vinnie came along and sight read Mo ‘n Herb’s Vacation. I’m guessing this guy in Finland doesn’t play with a band or other people and has no gigs. That alone should be the answer to his question of whether he’s the best in the world. I’m sorry but anyone who would think they are the best in the world doesn’t even deserve constructive criticism.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
The first step is in dropping the facade about your friend.

Who titles a thread critical when they are not taking about themselves? I just don't buy it and I get the feeling no one else does either.

You won't get anywhere desirable until you are honest.

We could really help you, that's what we do here. But only if you level with us.

Thoughts?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Your bursting my bubble Larry. Maybe I just feel guilty cause the growing cranium remarks and having gone from fastest with a growing forehead to best. It's been a moving target and probably easy bait for catfishing (which you ever use catfish bait-eww). But I'm being an idiot on my own accord or whatever it is that Bach/Beethoven whoever supposedly said it. He's persistent and seems immune to my antagonism-which dang it worked I feel guilty now. Tough love I get it.

pkettula

Hey all thank you for your constructive feedback. I will pass this feedback to
Dude!

OMG........Jens Hannemann. You are a champ.

Understood - it was only sarcasm!
I have studied your replies and wish to thank you for your constructive feedback. I guess that one has to know his/her limitations before can learn and progress anything and here we are talking about modesty. I talk with my friend and ask him to join the forum himself. That could be his first step in learning to play.