Critical guidance needed

pkettula

My friend needs critical guidance.

Please, can you help and indicate what factors in his playing should be concentrated, i.e. what skills could be improved ? I attach here a drum video and hope that you will give constructive feedback!

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

right away, it sounds like when transitioning from the main beat to the little fill sections, he speeds up a bit. I personally also have this same problem, which might be why I noticed it.

and listening to the original, I would definitely say that this is waaayyy to busy, especially if he is trying to copy the feel and intent of the original song. All of the ghosting on the snare is too much...BUT, if he was just using the song as a springboard to work on ghosting, then it works...

if he is young/first starting out, I would say he is falling into the "trap" of playing those ghost notes to make himself feel like he is a better drummer than he is. A lot of my young students do that at first...it is what they think - or see - the "good drummers" doing...

brentcn

Platinum Member
My friend needs critical guidance.

Please, can you help and indicate what factors in his playing should be concentrated, i.e. what skills could be improved ? I attach here a drum video and hope that you will give constructive feedback!

Ok, I'll bite. Your friend spends way too much time on self-expression, and not nearly enough time copying other drummers, or learning fundamental styles of music. Instead, he's got a few "beats"/"patterns"/"combinations", and he's throwing them at a song, hoping they'll stick. Because he doesn't understand and hasn't copied how a professional drummer usually approaches songs, beats, and fills, his ideas are out of place, the tempo fluctuates, and variations are performed randomly and without purpose. This video could be just a very strange, personal interpretation of this one song, but I bet he struggles with other songs, too.

If your friend hopes to play out in the real world with a band, he needs a couple years of weekly lessons, and he needs to learn 50 songs (literally, any 50 songs!), with as much detail as possible, and jam them with other musicians. But if he just wants to jam in his room, then, of course, no further instruction is necessary.

Benthedrummer

The one thing that I noticed is the lack of dynamics. I can't differentiate between the ghost notes and the accented back beat. I don't know if this is just an exercise in working on ghost notes with the left hand or if it's a genuine attempt at an actual song.

But anyways yeah, that's my critique........there's no real dynamics.

But you've got a fast, nimble left hand going on there!

pkettula

This video is his genuine attempt of improvisation. My friend honestly believes that he is the best improvisation drummer of the World. Now, once you have seen this video, do you think that it is a valid statement? If not, how much work is needed to be the best?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
You've posted a similar posit before with the same position of this drummer. I apologize if I was mocking the post earlier but I thought it was a joke (because then you also posted he was fastest and his forehead growing from brain changes)-my mistake he must sincerely believe so. Why does your friend believe "he is the best improvisation drummer of the World", and why does he believe that's a valid statement? His other videos look and sound similar to this one.

pkettula

I remember the discussion earlier. I only wish that professional opinions would help my friend in his journey to be a better player and therefore this post. Perhaps there is consensus among the other players that he is the best. However I have never heard of such thing, or maybe my friend has some secret techniques that I cannot recognize. Thus, it is also learning experience for me too..

brentcn

Platinum Member
Perhaps there is consensus among the other players that he is the best.
Don't worry. There isn't.
maybe my friend has some secret techniques that I cannot recognize.
Nope. There's *some* technique going on there, but it's at the amateur/hobbyist level, at best.
If not, how much work is needed to be the best?
This is the question someone asks, right before they quit.

KEEF

Your 'friend' thinking he's the best anything is his biggest failing. It's an unhealthy attitude that inhibits learning and therefore improving. Tell him to stop being such an arrogant arse. Or better still - leave him to comment/post/worry about his own' journey' and you concentrate on yours?

pkettula

I see.. okay, I will pass your regards to my friend. I agree KEEF that such an attitude actually prevents any kind of progres, and understand on your reviews that my friend is only an amateur level player, nothing above that.

danondrums

There’s not really any point in sharing criticism with someone who has declared themselves the best.

Do you like drums yourself? Do you want to learn to be a good player? That we can help with.

I don’t see any sense in using a bunch of internet opinions to try and beat his ego into reality.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
There will never be a best drummer, just some really good drummers with different styles.

As compared to the guys any educated drummer knows as world class players he can't have listened to any of them if considers him self the "greatest". They sure don't. The Vinnies, Jojos, Weckls, Tonys, Elvins, Simons, Gadds etc.. of the world, are very humble people. They just try to keep and improve their skills every day as musicians who happen to play drums.

Put him in a room with a bass layer and film that. :)

I wouldn't know what he's into. He's not playing to the song in the vid. It's more an attempt at something else. You said improvising drummer, so a diet of some Kendrick Scott and Mark Guiliana should be a decent reality check.

My guess is he doesn't even know what they're doing.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
By "friend" do you mean "you" lol. There is no reason to be shy here, everyone starts somewhere and this forum is moderated very good. There are many helpful people here.

Now as far as those videos, I'd say your "friend" needs to work on groove, and playing to the music to make it sound good. I play extreme deathmetal and really loud fast music, but I still try to complement it. Blast beats, double kick, and fills are plentiful, but it's in time, tight, and in the right spots.

There is also a difference between playing a ton of chops, and playing random stuff and just hitting drums.

I'd say work on grooving first, then learn some rudiments and patterns, and ghost notes. accents and ghost notes is where the magic happens.

Simple things like ghosting the left, and accenting the right moving it around can sound amazing.