Craviotto Snare

_Mark

I bought a 5.5x14 highly configured maple snare with a 2.3 mm hoops. It's solid shell, of course since is Craviotto.
Do you guys think i should take it back for a 6.5 depth? I play music like blink-182, All Time Low, and just playing along to stupid stuff like Ke$ha and such.

Thanks,
Mark

bilkay

Mark, did you play a 6.5X14 Craviotto at the shop? Do you already have a general preference for depth? My personal preference is deeper snare drums (7X14 is my favorite size). I think the drum you bought will be fine for just about anything but if you're having second thoughts, maybe you should go back and get the 6.5X14.

TTNW

Pioneer Member
If that is an option for you, then consider going back and giving each a closer listen.

Personally I like the sound of deeper snares but a solid shell snare drum has different qualities than a metal or ply wood snare.

You've got to put them both up with a set of hats and a kick drum to really make your decision.

Great drum.

denisri

Silver Member
Based on my cravitto snare you can tune to sound like a 6.5 drum! Lower the tuning. Add a little EQ to the PA and you have a deep sound. Denis

Shedboyxx

Silver Member
Brother Mark,

It's cool that you are checking around to see what your best options are.

I guess I'm scratching my head about why you are asking a question about such a pricey (and beautiful) drum after the purchase.

Not sure where you got it, but if it's GC or MF and you have the 30 day thing you can take it back.

The questions I have are: Do you like the way the drum sounds? If not, will you ask a similar question after you purchase the 6" version?

If you don't care for the sound of the drum and you can return it, then by all means bring it back. However I would ask questions about and preferably play on the next drum you want to purchase. If you can play on it first that's best.

I know that not everyone can have access to well stocked drum stores or departments. Therefore You have to take your best shot in researching before buying. I did this when I bought my (now discontinued) Mapex Phosphor Bronze snare off of eBay. I couldn't play the size of the drum I wanted in a store so I tapped around on another size that was available. Then I researched what I could find online (places like here). Then I considered drums of the size I was looking for (5.5 x 13) and pulled the trigger. In my case the drum sounded exactly how I thought it would. But if it hadn't, I couldn't return it.

Both drum sizes by reputation and practice are some of the most prized drums being made so you have a winner no matter which one you choose.
If you can afford the Crav then you can also consider many other drums as it's replacement.

Personally I don't think that either 5.5 or 6 inch size Cravs will be the best choice for the music you are playing or playing along to. It's just not as aggressive in louder music as say a metal composition drum (maybe steel or brass). You'll still get a great sound but these drums really shine in situations where there is more nuance. Miking would also be important but again the beauty of the drums might be lost amongst the thrash.

If you are not happy with the sound and can do it, then return it. Then take a deep breath....and consider your options. Try going online and researching the next drum before you buy it. Youtube has a few different stores advertising drums. Memphis Drum shop is one of them and another I think in New Hampshire. Still - these are clips that have been lovingly made to sound the best they can so YMMV.

I'm not trying to be negative but honestly I see quite a few of these after purchase posts which sound more like a player looking for affirming statements than advice on whether to buy a drum. Again, Brother Mark, I'd like you to be happy with your purchase whether it's $500 to $1500 (Black Beauty, Craviotto) or $125 (Ludwig Acrolite, Pearl Sensitone). If you get a drum and it turns you on, it doesn't matter what any one of us has to say.

HTH

Jim

ecpietscheck

I bought a 5.5x14 highly configured maple snare with a 2.3 mm hoops. It's solid shell, of course since is Craviotto.
Do you guys think i should take it back for a 6.5 depth? I play music like blink-182, All Time Low, and just playing along to stupid stuff like Ke$ha and such.

Thanks,
Mark
i would, myself, not do that
why? because you already own an SJC snare which is deep
and if you buy another deep snare, it would be likely to be twice of the, not so crude as it sounds, same
always remember this: the deeper the snare, the less sensitiveness youll get, and youll have to strike the snare harder for getting the reso head. the shallower depth a snare has, the more sensitive it will be

_Mark

It would be a 6.5" not 6". My SJC Snare is a 6", and I wasn't liking the hyrbid SJC Snare too much. My situation is quite weird, I have an SJC Snare and a Craviotto snare, all Zildjian cymbals, and a Sound Percussion kit.
I played one other 6.5" Craviotto at Memphis Drum Shop, and it had more of a punch to it. I chose the 5.5" because I really liked the sensitivity... I'm unsure anymore because now with my 5.5" I'm trying to get a deeper end punch out of it for some reason. I know I want an all maple snare, and I personally think Craviotto is the best for that.
http://memphisdrumshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_30&products_id=11350
That's the one I bought.

Kenny Allyn

It would be a 6.5" not 6". My SJC Snare is a 6", and I wasn't liking the hyrbid SJC Snare too much. My situation is quite weird, I have an SJC Snare and a Craviotto snare, all Zildjian cymbals, and a Sound Percussion kit.

... I'm clueless for ya on this one

It seems kinda like discussing the relative merits of a $150.00 bottle of wine with a Happy Meal?

ecpietscheck

I played one other 6.5" Craviotto at Memphis Drum Shop, and it had more of a punch to it. I chose the 5.5" because I really liked the sensitivity... I'm unsure anymore because now with my 5.5" I'm trying to get a deeper end punch out of it for some reason. I know I want an all maple snare, and I personally think Craviotto is the best for that.
http://memphisdrumshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_30&products_id=11350
That's the one I bought.
well, good for you!

and if you find your self comfortable with your opinion, that will do