Craviotto Bargain

Great kit.

A steal? 4200 to me is no steal. To me it is priced normally.

It averages out to 1,400 per drum.
agree except the averaging... Only because bass drums are 2 or 3 times the price of toms.

It's a very fair price, no steal. As a Craviotto owner I'm surprised it's still for sale.. I'd want BB edges on mine tho, cherry is a little bright for me..

If there is such a thing, is this signed cherry kit an absolute steal? Underpriced? Worth buying as an investment?

https://reverb.com/item/61314683-cr...IVdc0i4dI2KRZwiSaR_MtXMN1fqt7f5RoCy6EQAvD_BwE
also... Don't buy drums as an investment, you will likely be disappointed... I have heard older signed kits are increasing a little, but not like air cooled 911's. However... if I were shopping for a high end bop kit, I'd totally buy this over a new Gretsch USA or Tama Star at 3500-3800 with a 8 month wait. But that's me. I'm a fan.

also... Don't buy drums as an investment, you will likely be disappointed... I have heard older signed kits are increasing a little, but not like air cooled 911's. However... if I were shopping for a high end bop kit, I'd totally buy this over a new Gretsch USA or Tama Star at 3500-3800 with a 8 month wait. But that's me. I'm a fan.
Well......last year I was asking if Canopus Yaiba were a good "investment" at around $1,600. In 6 months they have risen to $2,300+

Well......last year I was asking if Canopus Yaiba were a good "investment" at around $1,600. In 6 months they have risen to $2,300+
Ha. Are you kicking yourself for not buying one and then trying to resell it? What do I know, I'm just some random dude on the Internet.

Apparently the Vanguard index fund VOO tracking the S&P 500 is supposed to be decent. I'd buy that before a vintage set of round badge Gretsch

If there is such a thing, is this signed cherry kit an absolute steal? Underpriced? Worth buying as an investment?

https://reverb.com/item/61314683-cr...IVdc0i4dI2KRZwiSaR_MtXMN1fqt7f5RoCy6EQAvD_BwE
I made an offer and contacted him, but he kept stalling with getting a ship quote (still waiting).

I think he doesn’t want to sell (and Incan’t blame him, but than I would say, take the ad down).

Its an ok price, but its a bop kit so a lot of bop players rather buy something more affordable I think.

Last edited:
They sound like they want a sweet spot tuning range and once you have it, fantastic sounding kit. That snare stand chokes the 12 though, didn't care that sample.

They sound like they want a sweet spot tuning range and once you have it, fantastic sounding kit. That snare stand chokes the 12 though, didn't care that sample.

I got a pretty sweetheart deal on a used revamped Recording Custom kit in that surf green. I have a mind to sell that and buy this Craviotto. By the time I make a decision, though, I'm sure the cCaviotto will be gone.

That price is roughly what he would have paid new. I'm leaving now before I get called a troll.

Are these different drums? I think the kit I found for sale is a Johnny-era kit 12 or so years old. Aren't the Custom Shop newer post-Johnny?

Geez, that's a ton of cash for me. I'm assuming you play jazz if you want a kit in those sizes. If that assumption is true, and if I was in your shoes, I'd go shopping and buy something vintage. Heck, buy a vintage kit, a couple of snares and some cymbals if that's your budget.

Not a 'bargain' but a reasonable price for a very nice kit IMO. The Craviotto cherry drums sound fantastic.
Not really comparable to anything vintage except maybe RB or Oaklawn Camco.

Geez, that's a ton of cash for me. I'm assuming you play jazz if you want a kit in those sizes. If that assumption is true, and if I was in your shoes, I'd go shopping and buy something vintage. Heck, buy a vintage kit, a couple of snares and some cymbals if that's your budget.
PPG, I have a set like this in Mahogany. I'm not going to try to convince you to be a Craviotto lover but I will say this from experience. By the time you have bought 2 sets say maybe a bop and a rock set, snares and cymbals. Roughly the same price as this cherry set. This one set can cover what the other 2 can do if not better. the 18" can sound like a 22".. Just another way of looking at it. I sold my '69 Rogers and my Gretsch. No regrets here.IMG_0631.jpeg

Last edited:
PPG, I have a set like this in Mahogany. I'm not going to try to convince you to be a Craviotto lover but I will say this from experience. By the time you have bought 2 sets say maybe a bop and a rock set, snares and cymbals. Roughly the same price as this cherry set. This one set can cover what the other 2 can do if not better. the 18" can sound like a 22".. Just another way of looking at it. I sold my '69 Rogers and my Gretsch. No regrets here.View attachment 130039
If you're like me, and you're a fan, they're amazing drums. If for some reason you don't like the sound or the price, then you just don't,

I can accept that people don't like them, but I have a hard time with people telling me that I'm ignorant or stupid for liking them or buying them. Not saying that that happens here on this form, but sometimes there's a lot of hate for Johnny and his drums.

Back