Crashes: do you go for a pair of compatible sounds, or contrasting sounds?

Soupy

Silver Member
So, say your standard setup uses two crash cymbals. Do you gravitate towards a closely matched pair, i.e. a 16 and 18 from the same series, so you have a pair of similar timbre but different pitch for a nice one-two sound? Or do you look for a pair of cymbals that are more heavily contrasting, dark vs bright, fast vs sustaining, quiet vs loud, and so forth.

I certainly fall into the habit of the former, and wonder if I almost limit myself artificially by doing so. For example, I have a nice set of Zildjian As, 16" Med, 18" Med-Thin, and a Sweet Ride which.... all sound the same, over a nice descending spread of pitch. I think I need some contrast somewhere...

Typo

I like both crashes to be the same size and comparable weight. This allows me to choose cymbals with two different pitches, but with similar sustain and volume.

I don't think it's limiting unless you find yourself dissatisfied.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I tend to go for compatible myself.

I suppose if I were the type who used a lot of different crashes, I'd want to mix in some contrasting crashes, but I tend to just use two at a time

If I want contrast, I'll go to my china, or perhaps use a stack sound.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
You could go like Charlie Watts and have one china type, and one regular crash, if you're talking that kind of contrast. I think from the audience perspective, that's about what you'd need for them to perceive any difference besides pitch. Personally, my requirement of hitting the cymbal and then having it get out of the way (meaning it'll be a thin crash to begin with) outweighs whether or not I want a heavy slow crash to contrast a light fast crash.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
I have 2 crashes which are the same model, but in different sizes, while the sound is obviously similar, the difference between the two is quite noticable.

I get the "contrast" by choosing which crash to hit for a desirable effect.

Exemples: For a loud, full crash, I'll hit both cymbals together, but sometimes I hit the bigger one softer and the smaller one louder or vice-versa, it's creating quite a contrast between the two cymbals.

On top of the 2 crahes (and a ride cymbal, which a rarely crash) I also have a china cymbal, it does help for contrast within my setup.

makinao

Silver Member
My "crashes" are worlds apart. A Zildjian 16" thin, and 20" crash/ride.

Right now I'm having the same problem with my chinas. I've been very happy with my contrasting 16" Stagg SH and 18" Stagg Traditional. I want to add another china to my kit, and I'm considering a brand new 16" Stagg Traditional, or a second hand Paiste Alpha 20" that I intend to use as a ride. The former's sound is to die for, but might be too close to my 18". The latter is way different from my existing chinas, which may or may not be a good thing. I dearly want both, but can only afford one for now. Choices, choices ........

M

mediocrefunkybeat

I don't even use a conventional 'crash' most of the time but if I did have this situation, I'd go for contrasting cymbals. I have the same system with my rides - one dark and dry, one dark and washy. I use both as crashes and the contrast makes for interesting combinations.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
More often than not, I'm found with different sized crashes of the same series. But I do own several sizes across several series, so I reserve the right to mix 'n match if I so choose too.

HoM3R

I feel like im throwing away my money when I buy cymbals that are a closely matched pair.

As for sound I like less is more, so least amount of cymbals and stil have alot of sounds.

KONA

Silver Member
Yes - I have contrasting crashes.
I use my rides to crash and sometimes an 18 China to ride and crash (Purdie-like) and in between I have a quick-to-get-outa-the-way 12" Agop splash. Seems to work for me.

You could go like Charlie Watts and have one china type, and one regular crash, if you're talking that kind of contrast. I think from the audience perspective, that's about what you'd need for them to perceive any difference besides pitch. Personally, my requirement of hitting the cymbal and then having it get out of the way (meaning it'll be a thin crash to begin with) outweighs whether or not I want a heavy slow crash to contrast a light fast crash.

CreeplyTuna

Silver Member
I like mine to go well together. Not sound exact, but not contrast either. I use an 18" zildjian a custom projection crash, and 20" Paiste Power crash. They sound fantastic together, both have different sound, but still long sustain and very bright

swiNg

i go with contrasting cymbals too, one big thin ride, and a thick fairly large crash for another colour. and a dry hh that i like to crash a lot to.

Cameo

Gold Member
I've got a nice mix, I think. I like it big and thin. I got two crashes, both Meinl Byzance, one 18" Extra Dry Thin Crash and one 20" Extra Thin Hammered... they blend very well.