Crash/Ride what's the point?

You can play anything in the world with a set of old style 14" (medium thin) hi hats an 18" (crash/ride on the thinner side) and (20" medium-thin ride).
Agreed
Personally I've always preferred using a crash ride as my left hand cymbal which would make it primarily a crash. I find that I just prefer the sound of them versus a regular crash and it gives me a great secondary ride sound. I've played shows with just a crash ride and hats for my setup and it has always worked out perfectly well. They are versatile, and I tend to like the fact that my crashes end up with a little more definition while my ride patterns get a bit more wash. I use a 22 inch ride but you basically nailed my set up with that quote. Also using it as the only cymbal forces you to work on your cymbal technique and really learn how to vary your touch to achieve different sounds. Always a good thing I should think.

One of my favorite cymbals in my collection is a 19" Sabian HH crash ride, its has a great bell and opens up really good as a crash to, its probably the second most used crash in my set up.

What's the point of playing a crash-ride cymbal? One reason is not to sound like everyone else. I have a Sabian 18" El Sabor that is a great crash, has a best bell I have ever heard, and is a good washy ride. I have played gigs with the El Sabor, hats, and a crash. My guitar buddy likes it when I use it as a ride; he likes the washy sound. Ringo used one on almost all of the Beatle songs. I usually use the EL Sabor as an alternate ride.

I understand why crash-rides are in beginner sets, but I am no beginner. I have been playing drum set for over forty years. Some musicians that I have played with have told me that using a crash-ride is part of my sound. Peace and goodwill.

If you doubt the value of a crash/ride, play a set of Giant Beats...even just two of them.
Sure, most crash/rides have more crash than ride, but there are quite a few rides out there that are so dry all you can do is ride or ping...they 'crash' like a gong. Seems a waste to me to lug around 2500 g for only 2 different sounds.
Trad jazz guys - only 2 cymbals, and all sorts of sounds.

I was in the market for an 18" crash, and ended up with a Zildjian K "Crash-Ride". It was less generic sounding than the Zildian A Medium-Thin Crash, with lots of shimmering, heavy, dark overtones. It sounds really good when you crash it lightly or hard, and of course, is just great for "crash riding". I really like a dark-sounding larger crash, and this one is just perfect. I was looking for a crash, and came back with something called a crash-ride. Highly recommended.

I don't really care to crash/ride my ride, as it's kinda heavy (it's a Paiste Sig. Reflector Bell Ride). But to get a more aggressive ride sound when I need it, I play with a little bit of the shoulder of the stick next to the bell, so I get a big, spanky, powerful sound without having a massive wall of sound from crash riding a ride.

What's the point of playing a crash-ride cymbal? One reason is not to sound like everyone else. I have a Sabian 18" El Sabor that is a great crash, has a best bell I have ever heard, and is a good washy ride. I have played gigs with the El Sabor, hats, and a crash. My guitar buddy likes it when I use it as a ride; he likes the washy sound. Ringo used one on almost all of the Beatle songs. I usually use the EL Sabor as an alternate ride.

I understand why crash-rides are in beginner sets, but I am no beginner. I have been playing drum set for over forty years. Some musicians that I have played with have told me that using a crash-ride is part of my sound. Peace and goodwill.

I have decided to use hats, a crash-ride, and a crash all the time. I have seen two DVD concerts in which the drummers do this, and I like the sound. I may have to buy another crashable ride because I want to use the El Sabor 18" at church.

Has anyone heard the Sabian AAX Xplosion Ride in person?

Peace and goodwill.

Someone one-starred this thread. It's terrible now.

Anything labeled 'crash ride' has sucked in my experience but there are loads of crash able rides and rideable crashes if you look around.

I have decided to use hats, a crash-ride, and a crash all the time. I have seen two DVD concerts in which the drummers do this, and I like the sound. I may have to buy another crashable ride because I want to use the El Sabor 18" at church.

Has anyone heard the Sabian AAX Xplosion Ride in person?

Peace and goodwill.
Mark- do you find the El Sabor ride quality suitable for classic rock/pop? I've read elsewhere that it becomes to washy/crashy if you ride too hard, but I was considering a 20" El Sabor ride, since I want a crash-ride and am not a heavy hitter, nor does the current music require bashing away. My current ride is an AAX Stage Ride, which has a great ride and bell quality, but I can't crash it and I'd like a ride that is easy to open up with a good ride. I'd prefer to stay with Sabian and thought the El Sabor might be a good bet. What's your experience?

I used to have the El Sabor 20" Ride (and wish I still did, long boring story). It is a good defined ride with a great bell and is easy to crash. I still have an El Sabor 18". The ride sound is pretty washy but still well defined when I play it on the top third near the bell. The El Sabor Ride may be just what you are looking for. Peace and goodwill.

Today, I bought a Sabian AA 21" Bash Ride, which sounds good with my AAX 18" Studio Crash and my AA17" Thin Crash. Peace and goodwill.

Back