Crappy Sonor Force 2001 Head Choice?

Frosticles

Silver Member
I have just purchased a rather crappy Sonor Force 2001 (£50) for kit share gigs. A little reading up on the thing & it mentions that head choice is important as only certain heads will sound good on it.
Anyone have this thing & what is your head choice?

Ta muchly :)

I am sure that "certain" heads means quality heads and good tuning skills. One of my former students had a Force 2001, and even the standard remo UT heads sounded ok. Equipped with Emperors/G2 the kit will sound decent.
Of course the edges have to be ok, otherwise you'll get into trouble with any head.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I know it's not the same kit, but I had a 3003 for a summer run and they sounded good with coated G2 fully micd up.

Frosticles

Silver Member
Thanks for the answers. Heads that I have "In stock" so to say in the sizes for this kit (12,14,22) are Coated Emperors, G2 Coated, Clear Ambassadors, Clear Pinstripes.
I do not want to spend a penny on this kit if I can help it :)

Tamaefx

Silver Member
You’d do good by shifting the reso skins also, emperor on top, ambassador bottom since you got them.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I'm sure any two-ply batter one-ply reso combo will sound good.

I've not done any research myself into those drums being picky about heads but I'm a bit suspect about those kinds of claims in general, especially if we're talking about a relatively new production line drumset. Assuming the shells are round and the bearing edges are smooth anything should work just fine. I agree with CrashtestDummy that "good" comes down to good quality heads that are tuned well. Most of the time when folks aren't happy with the sound it's more likely to be expectations vs. reality, and less a fault with the heads themselves.

Frosticles

Silver Member
I'm sure any two-ply batter one-ply reso combo will sound good.

I've not done any research myself into those drums being picky about heads but I'm a bit suspect about those kinds of claims in general, especially if we're talking about a relatively new production line drumset. Assuming the shells are round and the bearing edges are smooth anything should work just fine. I agree with CrashtestDummy that "good" comes down to good quality heads that are tuned well. Most of the time when folks aren't happy with the sound it's more likely to be expectations vs. reality, and less a fault with the heads themselves.

This is an ancient bottom of the barrel kit as far as I know. Only interested in it for kit sharing. As long as the bearing edges are ok & nothing broken then I will be fine with them. They do have awful Metal bass drum hoops though so will be looking to swap those for wooden ones. It also has a blue wrap which I dislike. I may also take this off then paint the drums satin black :)

Some pics of the nasty thing ;) But, for £50................... :)

67382373_10219093672040060_5863385586089328640_n by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
67413099_10219093672240065_4243319025775411200_n by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
67177237_10219093672480071_6094201814385688576_n by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
67224151_10219093672880081_1917094678755278848_n by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I think they look pretty cool, especially for 50 pounds... I see that the wrap has some issues (though I actually like the color a lot) but I'd bet removing and polishing the hardware and giving the shells a good cleaning would go a long way.

After removing the wrap from a 90s Pearl Export I'm not a big fan of the idea of refinishing lower end drums. The "wood" most of these kits are made out often isn't very smooth-grained and is hard to paint and rarely looks very good afterward.

How does it sound with the current heads? It looks like there's already a Pinstripe on the big tom and that might give you some idea about how a two-ply muffled head could sound.

Frosticles

Silver Member
I think they look pretty cool, especially for 50 pounds... I see that the wrap has some issues (though I actually like the color a lot) but I'd bet removing and polishing the hardware and giving the shells a good cleaning would go a long way.

After removing the wrap from a 90s Pearl Export I'm not a big fan of the idea of refinishing lower end drums. The "wood" most of these kits are made out often isn't very smooth-grained and is hard to paint and rarely looks very good afterward.

How does it sound with the current heads? It looks like there's already a Pinstripe on the big tom and that might give you some idea about how a two-ply muffled head could sound.

I haven't got it yet. Currently on Holiday till Thursday. It is only local so will go & pick it up on my return :) As long as the chrome & the bearing edges are ok then I am fine with it. The Bass Drum spurs have been replaced with Natal ones.