craigslist mental cases!

mxo721

so, a while back, was looking at some drums on CL, and saw one I would like...but no posted price. I sent an email, and just asked "how much". the guy sends back an email, saying so many people are coming over to look...blah blah blah. then gave a price, that was about double what they were new. I said thank you, but no. next day, he calls me, and says " amI on the way to his house to pick up the drums?: I said...ahhh not me, I never spoke to you on the phone, and he's screaming. " you said you were coming to my house"... a real mental case. I sent him my email, and asked where on there does't it say " coming to your house". any one else have this kind of experience ?

I once posted a kit on CL with only shells and hardware. A guy called all pissed off about the way I advertised the kit. What the hell dude?

I emailed a guy about a set of Zildjian Quick Beat hats circa early 1990s that he was asking 130 or best offer. I offered 100 cash and he came back and said bottom price was 125.

I told him to wait for a better offer if he wanted too and he said he would get back. Then he emailed back and said he was waiting for me to come get them for 125. I said I offered 100 bucks but would go as high as 120..since I had to drive almost 90 miles to pick them up.

He never returned an email....

I guess it was too good to be true...

Now I have sold a couple things on CL with good luck.

You get all kinds of nuts on CL advertising kits that are way overpriced, or other gear that is 2nd rate at best, asking double what they would normally charge in as retail store.

All kinds of mental cases on craigslist, for sure. When I used to buy kits for students, I ran into nutjobs all the time. There have been times when I would respond to the ad, talk to them on the phone, get the address, say I'd be right over, and 15 minutes later when I show up, "someone else" who "called right after me" had "beat me to it" and "just left". Also, there are the people who, when they offer a good deal and get a bunch of responses, suddenly say they're going to charge more for it.

But, then again, on the flip side of people selling $300 kits for $750, there are the people who offer great deals, and when you get to their house, they turn out to be really nice. Also, I loved it when I went to pick up a GREAT deal, and they would say, "Oh yeah, and there's also this throne I forgot to mention in the ad." or, "Oh yeah, there's also this stack of cymbals we didn't know what to do with." Good times.

You take the good, you take the bad, you take 'em both and there you have...craigslist.

I've talked to some real loons on CL.

A few weeks ago someone had a well used cymbal for 125$ OBO and I said ok i've got 100 since I'd seen the ad posted 4 or 5 times and the logos were gone. They cussed me out and told me they would now re-listed it at it's true value of 200 because I was a "low ball scumbag trying to take advantage of someone who had brain surgery". I asked if they knew what OBO means, and they hung up. Yet the most I've seen said item in question for used was 120$ on GC/ebay in immaculate shape. Not the first time something like this has happened either.

Like Caddy said there are some good deals to be had and i want to say 99% of the people I deal with are normal. It's pretty easy to tell when someone isn't worth meeting. I bought a huge tama kit and the guys was asked hey do you want these Yamaha snares for free? Sure re-sold them and got a free kit.

I bought a huge tama kit and the guys was asked hey do you want these Yamaha snares for free? Sure re-sold them and got a free kit.

I love this. When you find a package deal, and you want only part of it, and you know you can just resell the parts you don't want to make all of your money back. Like the time when I bought a Ludwig Super Classic for super-cheap, complete with hardware and cymbals, and I made double my money back by selling just the drums. I got two nice vintage cymbals to add to my rotation, and a couple of cymbals that I gifted to some drummer friends who I knew would like them. :D

I was thinking of posting an ad on craigs offering my services for posting other peoples ads for them.
I would dust off the item and take a focused photo in good light in a proper setting.
I would make sure that the pictures were right side up.
I would title the ad in a way that buyers would understand what the item is by reading the title.
I would write an informative description of the item and run spelling and grammer check.

How cool would that be?

and just now, got he ol' robo-mail on a kit I have posted...I got the guy on tour in Africa, who is sending his " assistant" right over with a "check". I alway give them the address to the district attorney fraud unit and the invtergators name...

I was thinking of posting an ad on craigs offering my services for posting other peoples ads for them.
I would dust off the item and take a focused photo in good light in a proper setting.
I would make sure that the pictures were right side up.
I would title the ad in a way that buyers would understand what the item is by reading the title.
I would write an informative description of the item and run spelling and grammer check.

How cool would that be?

I've sold stuff for friends before, as a favor. I even had a friend who posted one of the "unclear" ads for half a year, unable to sell it. I recommended a couple of changes in his ad, including the title and a complete description of what he was selling--BAM! Sold the next day! Same price he was offering it for, too. He picked up the tab next time we went out to eat...

I've sold stuff for friends before, as a favor. I even had a friend who posted one of the "unclear" ads for half a year, unable to sell it. I recommended a couple of changes in his ad, including the title and a complete description of what he was selling--BAM! Sold the next day! Same price he was offering it for, too. He picked up the tab next time we went out to eat...
It's odd how people don't realize how the little things are what make an ad successful.
We all see advertising everyday. I just use the proven format that millions of ads use.
Simple things like using key words in your ad that will make it come up after a search.
I also have posted an ad for a friend.
She has a PHD degree. She is so smart that she had no clue how to do a simple thing like post a good ad. My simple ad sold her car for her.

Seeing the forest through the trees I guess :)

and just now, got he ol' robo-mail on a kit I have posted...I got the guy on tour in Africa, who is sending his " assistant" right over with a "check". I alway give them the address to the district attorney fraud unit and the invtergators name...

That's brilliant! I've gotten two in the last few days about one of my snares. Except mine says military.

the most frustrating thing to me --and you would think drummers would know this--people that don't put pics of the badges. the badge tells much of the story, now with so many drum companies " RE-issuing" some vintage line from 20-30 years back, except made with left over ply-wood from a constuction project, and an expected life of 2 weeks.

I have been listing most of my possessions on CL, trying to clean up my life so my sister won't have to. And it sucks the other way also.. "Oh.. you are asking $100 for that $800 item.. will you take $10" every single day... i hate it.

I got a message last night about a snare I'm selling asking, "was the drum built"

I've seen plenty of scams and quacks on CL, but also got a couple of great deals.

I picked up a 1966 Super Classic in Champagne Sparkle that cleaned up amazingly well for 300. Definitely a keeper.

I also picked up a Gretsch Renown set, three other snares, cymbals (mostly beginner grade), a ton of hardware including two pork pie thrones, again all for 300. I cleaned it all up, took good photos, and parted it all out, except for the set (sold that intact) for around 2 grand, so that was nice return on my investment.

Unrelated to drums, but for business I placed an ad for some work my company needed done and some yahoo replied with the most violent, angry response ever. Something about how the money we offered for the job was an insult and I was wasting hard working folks time blah blah blah. I wanted to reply in so many ways to satisfy myself, but alas I didnt. Who knows how insane these people are.

I was literally walking out the door one night last week to go buy a 60's Rogers snare drum for $50 that a guy had advertised on CL. He called me to tell me that he had just sold it someone for $100 and didn't want me to waste my time coming out (an hour each way). In my mind, he sold his integrity for $50.

Then a few days ago, I saw what I believe is the same drum listed for $300 on what I think is the same picnic table that was posted in the original ad, as it had a very similar background. In other words, he probably received more interest than expected and backed out of the deal figuring he may be able to get more money than he originally thought.

Just this past weekend, I saw an ad for a Ludwig drum I was interested in that was being sold as part of a lower level Tama kit. I asked the seller if he would sell the snare separately, and even offered to give him a Tama snare from the same brand as his kit, as I really wanted the snare to match some drums I have. He declined, so the next day I asked when he would be available for me to buy everything as I really wanted the snare. He decided not to sell the kit and pulled his ad.

Last edited:
Back