Cracking 10" AA splash

yjb63

Today while looking around my drums, I noticed that there are several small cracks around the hole of my AA 10" splash. I've heard that Zildjian is pretty good for replacing these things, but does sabian replace them too? And if they won't replace it, is there anything I can do to prolong the life of my splash?

Thanks

D

DamoSyzygy

I noticed that there are several small cracks around the hole of my AA 10" splash.
They probably will replace it, because theyre nice people. However, that cracking is not indicative of a manufacturing flaw - which is what warranties are there for. If you are seeing several cracks around your soundhole, and especially if its a splash, its usually a tell-tale sign that you are hitting the thing too hard and the topper needs to tighten down a little more.

Mikecore

Silver Member
According to my local Sabian rep, you will likely have to trade the thing in on the new one (it may still be free if under warranty, but they are trying to avoid people abusing their pies with the idea that they can just get a new pile of them under warranty). I would try talking to them first. One of the things that I think sets them apart is their willingness to work with their customers.

Solaris

Silver Member
They probably will replace it, because theyre nice people. However, that cracking is not indicative of a manufacturing flaw - which is what warranties are there for. If you are seeing several cracks around your soundhole, and especially if its a splash, its usually a tell-tale sign that you are hitting the thing too hard and the topper needs to tighten down a little more.
Really? I always thought that cracking around the hole was indicative that the wingnut was clamped down too hard and it was being played too hard.

I had this happen to my A Custom splash. The next one I bought I replaced the crappy Dixon hard plastic sleeve with a Pearl one and let the cymbal vibrate freely instead of tightening it down and it has been performing brilliantly.

D

DamoSyzygy

Really? I always thought that cracking around the hole was indicative that the wingnut was clamped down too hard and it was being played too hard.
Generally, I have always seen that as edge cracks or (more commonly) cracking along the base of the bell.

If you grab your splash and try to bend it to the vertical while still on your stand it becomes quite obvious as to why you would devlop cracking around the airhole.