Cracked Sabian XS20 Crash

Max99

Hi. So today I discovered a pretty large crack in my 18" XS20 crash. The crack is in the middle of the bow along the tonal grooves, which leaves me struggling as to how it was caused. Could this be faulty workmanship? Or is it possible to create a crack of this nature through the usual problems or poor technique etc.

I am also wondering whether this would be covered by the Sabian Warranty?

I will note that I do keep my cymbals slightly angled towards me. I tend to use 2b sticks (Could this be part of the problem?)

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Max

MikeM

Platinum Member
Yeah, this is pretty normal stuff. If you're a hard-hitting rock drummer using 2Bs, then expect cymbals to break. There isn't a clear way around it, and you're in good company since there are a lot of highly-regarded professional drummers out there that break cymbals, too. But it is expensive, so don't start developing a taste for K Constantinople's if that's how you intend to play (unless you're really rich, of course).

Shortly after I post this, you're going to read one rebuttal after another by people that claim they've been playing super loud death-metal since before Black Sabbath and have never so much as smudged any of their precious pies. They'll tell you that there's no excuse to ever crack a cymbal and it's an abuse you should be ashamed of. Ignore them.

Sure, it's true that fisting your way through a cymbal with a large piece of lumber will shorten its life dramatically, and mounting too tightly or at odd angles won't do them any favors either. Select cymbals that are appropriate to your playing style (whole other thread there) and use glancing blows off-center on loosely mounted cymbals. That is about the best you can do.

I don't know what Sabian's warranty policy is on Xs20s but they have 2 year warranties on their other lines, so it's worth checking into.

mrbling

Silver Member
that a common 'problem' witht the xs20s every cracked one i have encountered has cracked in a manner similar to yours.

oneguy

I just bought a 4 pack of new Xs20's 2 months ago and just noticed the other day that my 16" has 2 very small partial holes....obviously a flaw in the metal making process. I'm no big hitter but I am kinda wondering "if" this will lead to an eventual failure down the road.

just a heads up on what I found......

MikeM

Platinum Member
that a common 'problem' witht the xs20s every cracked one i have encountered has cracked in a manner similar to yours.
That's the way probably 90% of my cymbals have cracked with deep lathe grooves. The others with finer lathing, like A Customs or 2oo2s, tend to crack radially at the edges. At least for me.

MikeM

Platinum Member
That's the way probably 90% of my cymbals have cracked with deep lathe grooves. The others with shallower lathing, like A Customs or Paistes, tend to crack radially at the edges. At least for me.

mrbling

Silver Member
well ive not seen too many cymbals cracked ive seen an a custom and 2 B8s which have cracked from the edge all the xs20s have cracked along the lathing.

Jessiah331

I'm almost certain that the XS are covered under the 2 year. I know for a fact the AA and up lines are, and I'm pretty sure B8 isn't, but I think the XS is. I'd check into it, their customer service is simply amazing!