Cracked rib, Can’t play

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Ouch I feel your pain. When I was 28 I lost control of a 3 wheeler (death trap) and it flipped me into a big pine tree. I thought I was going to die but rallied strength to crawl back home. My dad is a Doc too and he didn’t really examine me but from pain told me I broke a bunch of ribs then raised jell I wrecked my nephews 3 wheeler LOL. He also warned me if cartilage area the cartilage won’t likely heal. He was right still cracks like an accordion when I stretch. Turns out I also broke my collar bone but didn’t discover that till another doc examined me a few years later . Anyways the rib breaks were miserable, every time you breath to forcefully and the terror of a cough or sneeze. All I can say is you’ll heal up and be fine. My wife broke her sternum in a car wreck about a year ago and she was really miserable. So a silver lining - you didn’t break your sternum LOL. Next patient-So have you accessed the damage to mower deck?

Al Strange

I had to play a whole tour after falling off the back of the stage & breaking two ribs. I have never been in so much pain in my life. No amount of alcohol or "pharmaceutical products".......... Could ease it.

***** Never act the clown during the support bands set*****
I laughed at your advice as I have had mishaps myself goofing around backstage; not anything like yours though! Amazing you played through it! Top job! (y) :)

Frosticles

Silver Member
I laughed at your advice as I have had mishaps myself goofing around backstage; not anything like yours though! Amazing you played through it! Top job! (y) :)
It was two weeks of absolute hell............. I also developed a cold & coughing & sneezing were another level of misery. :oops:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
It was two weeks of absolute hell............. I also developed a cold & coughing & sneezing were another level of misery. :oops:
Man that sucks, I can totally relate. Before my rib healed (read stopped moving) every exhale it would pop out, and inhale it would go back in. Complete and utter agony. Cant stand, sit, lay down, do anything without it moving.

moodman

That sounds really painful, hopefully you'll heal fast.
I haven't been able to play for 1 month and a half, groin injury which has also brought sciatica and now my back and hips are out of alignment, the fun never stops. I am trying to keep my hands in shape, mostly playing paradiddles as triplets accenting the first partial, along with some warm-ups.
After close to 60 years playing, I feel my muscle memory will mean I will have little trouble playing but I'm sure endurance will be the problem as far as gigging. I've played with a dislocated elbow and injured hands but the worst was an inner ear thing where I could only hear the vocals as 'banshee moans' and the sound of fingers moving over wound strings, nothing else, 17 gigs in 22 days, I just played from memory and sat depressed every break.

acsunda

That sounds really painful, hopefully you'll heal fast.
I haven't been able to play for 1 month and a half, groin injury which has also brought sciatica and now my back and hips are out of alignment, the fun never stops. I am trying to keep my hands in shape, mostly playing paradiddles as triplets accenting the first partial, along with some warm-ups.
After close to 60 years playing, I feel my muscle memory will mean I will have little trouble playing but I'm sure endurance will be the problem as far as gigging. I've played with a dislocated elbow and injured hands but the worst was an inner ear thing where I could only hear the vocals as 'banshee moans' and the sound of fingers moving over wound strings, nothing else, 17 gigs in 22 days, I just played from memory and sat depressed every break.
I don’t know if you’ve ever been to a chiropractor, but my dad’s is a chiropractor and so I grew up with it and am a big believer in it. I’d highly recommend seeing one, if you haven’t already.

acsunda

Ouch I feel your pain. When I was 28 I lost control of a 3 wheeler (death trap) and it flipped me into a big pine tree. I thought I was going to die but rallied strength to crawl back home. My dad is a Doc too and he didn’t really examine me but from pain told me I broke a bunch of ribs then raised jell I wrecked my nephews 3 wheeler LOL. He also warned me if cartilage area the cartilage won’t likely heal. He was right still cracks like an accordion when I stretch. Turns out I also broke my collar bone but didn’t discover that till another doc examined me a few years later . Anyways the rib breaks were miserable, every time you breath to forcefully and the terror of a cough or sneeze. All I can say is you’ll heal up and be fine. My wife broke her sternum in a car wreck about a year ago and she was really miserable. So a silver lining - you didn’t break your sternum LOL. Next patient-So have you accessed the damage to mower deck?
I’ve mowed once since then, and everything seems to be fine! :LOL:

acsunda

Man that sucks, I can totally relate. Before my rib healed (read stopped moving) every exhale it would pop out, and inhale it would go back in. Complete and utter agony. Cant stand, sit, lay down, do anything without it moving.
Oh man, yes, it keeps popping!

Icetech

Gold Member
Eck... yeah i crashed my mountain bike almost a month ago now.. either broke something or cracked/dislocated some ribs and up in my shoulder.. I sat down at the drums saturday and something popped in my back, ended up spending 5 hours on the floor :( Next day... totally fine... for now...
It's like living with a timebomb, just hoping it heals.

P.S. hope you feel better soon :)

Last edited:

moodman

I don’t know if you’ve ever been to a chiropractor, but my dad’s is a chiropractor and so I grew up with it and am a big believer in it. I’d highly recommend seeing one, if you haven’t already.
I have just made an appointment with a hip clinic, hope to see a chiropractor as well.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I have just made an appointment with a hip clinic, hope to see a chiropractor as well.
I hate being the guy to do this.....

See a doctor first. Get an XRay first. Chiropractors, benefits and detriments aside, can't do anything for a broken rib. As a matter of fact, if a chiropractor manipulates a broken rib, they're going to really hurt you... Like Pneumothorax kind of hurt. The kind of hurt that makes your soul want to crawl out of your body cause you can't take it and it won't go away.

A good chiropractor will either turn you down based on symptoms and tell you the same, or will ask to do an x-ray first before turning you down when it reveals a broken rib.

If it turns out the rib isn't broke, a chiropractor will do a good job of manipulating the ribcage and breastbone.

See a doctor first. Get an XRay first. Chiropractors, benefits and detriments aside, can't do anything for a broken rib. As a matter of fact, if a chiropractor manipulates a broken rib, they're going to really hurt you... Like Pneumothorax kind of hurt. The kind of hurt that makes your soul want to crawl out of your body cause you can't take it and it won't go away.

A good chiropractor will either turn you down based on symptoms and tell you the same, or will ask to do an x-ray first before turning you down when it reveals a broken rib.

If it turns out the rib isn't broke, a chiropractor will do a good job of manipulating the ribcage and breastbone.
He @moodman doesn’t have a rib problem . He’s got a groin injury with sciatica and hips out of alignment. But depending on how he injured himself he may need an x-ray too but I’m not getting that from his post .

But yes ,agreed , absolutely no spinal adjustments to neck or back from impact injuries as that can make problems worse ,more painful and perhaps permanent. A good chiropractor will indeed do a full work up and exam and will not adjust you without X-ray done from injury due to impact .

I’ve had numerous back injuries . Some of the worst pain ever in my life . Although the several broken ribs I had were a close second. Feel better @acsunda and @moodman, Ive been there and feel your pain .

moodman

Thanks for helpful info, I have just seen my prompt med, they set me up with the hip clinic etc.
I'm doing some exercises that help. I can't take the recommended Ibuprofen for groin inflamation as I once lost 3/5ths of my blood through an ulcer, I ice the area and do stretches. I'm using Arnica and Lidocaine, Tens unit and heat for pain. I passed on a script of opioid pain meds, don't need dependency on anything if I can avoid it.

12x7

Like a traumatic pneumothorax? I was assaulted and had six broken ribs in my back and a crushed scapula. Which punctured my lung. And in front, I got stabbed with a chest tube from the doctor, which messed up the front ribs a bit. The pain was indescribable. It was not fun.