Cracked rib, Can’t play

acsunda

So I cracked a rib on Sunday and now I can’t play the drums. I was mowing my yard, and- you know the support lines that anchor a telephone pole to the ground? Well we got rid of the telephone pole years ago but I guess the little steel anchor that holds the support line in the ground is still there- I hit that steel anchor with the deck of my mower. I’ve mowed over that spot hundreds of times and never knew it was there. Stopped me in my tracks and threw me into the steering wheel of the mower. It didn’t hurt that bad at first but it’s gotten worse every day. I assume it’s a cracked. Could just be bruised but I doubt it based in the amount of pain and the fact that I can feel things moving around inside when I breath. But I’m told you can’t really do anything about it except take it easy and wait for it to heal. So I guess it’ll be A few weeks at least until I can’t play the drums.

Anybody else have a cracked rib before? Suggestions?

acsunda

"It didn’t hurt that bad at first but it’s gotten worse every day. I assume it’s cracked."

Assumption is an inadequate diagnostic tool. If your pain persists, seek medical attention. In the meantime, avoid all activities that aggravate the condition. That includes drumming.
Well, my dad’s a doctor and I also talked to my school nurse (I’m a teacher not a kid, lol) and they both said that it’s probably cracked, it’s gonna hurt until it doesn’t, and take any painkillers I might have (which is a lot, because I have kidney stones all the time). So I guess I just gotta ride it out.

roncadillac

Does all upper body motion hurt? If not, maybe take it easy and just play some brushes on your snare or sticks on a practice pad to keep yourself from going crazy.

Another fun option, buy a program like fruity loops and have fun making beats! Only requires a functioning hand to operate your computer's mouse.

acsunda

Does all upper body motion hurt? If not, maybe take it easy and just play some brushes on your snare or sticks on a practice pad to keep yourself from going crazy.

Another fun option, buy a program like fruity loops and have fun making beats! Only requires a functioning hand to operate your computer's mouse.
To your question, pretty much yeah.
To the latter option, not a bad idea!

roncadillac

To your question, pretty much yeah.
To the latter option, not a bad idea!
Well don't push yourself. A few weeks off drums is nothing compared to the rest of your life off drums because you were impatient!

It may be due to me also loving a lot of hip hop and electronic music in addition to everything else I play but I've always had a drum machine and a program to arrange beats on. Sometimes it's a fun way to chill in a Friday night, sometimes I make songs, sometimes it play with ideas. You can even make your own backing tracks to jam on.

acsunda

Well don't push yourself. A few weeks off drums is nothing compared to the rest of your life off drums because you were impatient!

It may be due to me also loving a lot of hip hop and electronic music in addition to everything else I play but I've always had a drum machine and a program to arrange beats on. Sometimes it's a fun way to chill in a Friday night, sometimes I make songs, sometimes it play with ideas. You can even make your own backing tracks to jam on.
Sweet, sounds cool!

acsunda

How much does that program cost?

roncadillac

How much does that program cost?
Depends on what you want. I'm partial to fruity loops (FL studio) because I've used it awhile, it's affordable, and very user friendly with a lot of pro level features. Base is like $100 and the next level, which allows you to also record into it via mics, is like $160. There are other options though.

If you just want an easy, user friendly way to record things via mics without bells and whistles look into audacity. It's legitimately 100% free and I've used it for a decade.

acsunda

Depends on what you want. I'm partial to fruity loops (FL studio) because I've used it awhile, it's affordable, and very user friendly with a lot of pro level features. Base is like $100 and the next level, which allows you to also record into it via mics, is like $160. There are other options though.

If you just want an easy, user friendly way to record things via mics without bells and whistles look into audacity. It's legitimately 100% free and I've used it for a decade.
Thanks!

C.M. Jones

Well, my dad’s a doctor and I also talked to my school nurse (I’m a teacher not a kid, lol) and they both said that it’s probably cracked, it’s gonna hurt until it doesn’t, and take any painkillers I might have (which is a lot, because I have kidney stones all the time). So I guess I just gotta ride it out.
Got it. Your dad knows best, then. Follow his instructions and ride it out. Feel better soon.