Cowbell Mount

stuarross

Hello.
I bought a Pearl Horacio Hernandez Maybell HH5 for my son but I’m struggling to find a clamp/mount that fits. There is a 10mm square that the clamp has to pass through on both sides and is clamped within these.
There isn’t really space on his bass drum so I was wondering about a cymbal mount?
I’m not a drummer so any advice would be most gratefully received.
Thank you.

If the lack of space on the bass drum is due to the large size of that bell, consider the Meinl "MC BD" mount, that lets you adjust forward and backward. LP makes one also, and probably others.

There are mounts for floor toms, too. Some clamp to the leg; others to a tension rod.

When playing out was still happening, I used a tom holder clamped below the ride cymbal. I needed a 9.5 mm ball arm to make it work.

I use an arm clamped to my hi-hat stand (under the cymbals) and have a rod come up from that arm. I can swing it several directions, but it works well with the cowbell just above and behind the snare drum.

I'm considering a separate stand for cowbell, wood block, maybe a mounted tambourine. I could take it to jams and parties without the rest of the drum kit.

Hello.
I bought a Pearl Horacio Hernandez Maybell HH5 for my son but I’m struggling to find a clamp/mount that fits. There is a 10mm square that the clamp has to pass through on both sides and is clamped within these.
There isn’t really space on his bass drum so I was wondering about a cymbal mount?
I’m not a drummer so any advice would be most gratefully received.
Thank you.

May I ask what type of drums they are? I didn't want to assume pearl just because you got a pearl cowbell, if the drums are pearl this piece of advice won't work because they use a thick pipe that attaches horizontally. If the drums are not pearl and use an upturned post that attaches vertically (tama, Ludwig, mapex, Gretsch, for example) you may be able to lower the tom on that post which may expose enough additional post to mount the cowbell on. I'll use generic stock images to explain:

This style of tom mount (doesn't have to be exactly this, just this style):
feat_CL52KS_CCW_StarMount.jpg

See how there is room to slide the toms 'down' on that shaft? Bottom them out as low as you can (while still securely attached) and it may expose enough of the rod above the tom rim to allow you to mount the cowbell above.

May I ask what type of drums they are? I didn't want to assume pearl just because you got a pearl cowbell, if the drums are pearl this piece of advice won't work because they use a thick pipe that attaches horizontally. If the drums are not pearl and use an upturned post that attaches vertically (tama, Ludwig, mapex, Gretsch, for example) you may be able to lower the tom on that post which may expose enough additional post to mount the cowbell on. I'll use generic stock images to explain:

View attachment 101720

See how there is room to slide the toms 'down' on that shaft? Bottom them out as low as you can (while still securely attached) and it may expose enough of the rod above the tom rim to allow you to mount the cowbell above.

View attachment 101720

Thank you very much. The Drums are Mapex and there is very little room between the bass and toms currently, but I will experiment with your excellent advice.

Thank you very much. The Drums are Mapex and there is very little room between the bass and toms currently, but I will experiment with your excellent advice.

You may have to raise the tom mount up from the bass drum a little bit first. That will increase the overall height of the 'post' the toms attach to and allow the toms to end up in the same position/height off the bass drum when they are placed lower on that 'post'

I do a lot of percussion with my left hand.. and use what I call a customized 'percussion tree' - basically a lightweight cymbal stand with a small boom mount at the top sticking straight up.I mount jam blocks and a large cowbell ... and sometimes a tambourine.. I also attach a clamp off the stand that holds a small China/swish on a small boom. It allows me to position them at the right place - and height right beside my hihats (so little travel with one hand). This allows me to play perc with my left and kit patterns with my right.. while keeping the hihat pattern going at the same time.
Mounting on the kick can be problematic if it hits your knee.. or if you miss and hit your knee! :)

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm looking at this Gibraltar clamp for this purpose. Model is SC-LRAC, and I'm seeing it listed for around $25.

SC-LRAC.jpg

^ I would probably use what's posted above but in the meantime at home I've used a tom arm clamped to a cymbal stand.

I have the dw hoop clamp but can't bring myself to risk my drum hoop, despite it having a soft protective surface.

I just want a cowbell clamp that doesn't damage my BD hoop ?

Back