Cowbell & Block placement

Hey there guys, just a quick one.

Its my birthday, so my parents bought me a cowbell and block, with a L mount as well. Just wondering, does it matter where about on the kit you put them, or it it just preference.

Thanks in advance. :)

Hey there guys, just a quick one.

Its my birthday, so my parents bought me a cowbell and block, with a L mount as well. Just wondering, does it matter where about on the kit you put them, or it it just preference.

Thanks in advance. :)

It's all about preference!

I personally run mu cowbell on my left foot, outside my hihat. I have also seen mounted on the kick drum rims (for both hands and feet) and stand mounted both left and right hand side. Same for the block. Just go with what feels food and where you get most use out of it.

For the record, I only run mine left foot because A: I wanted to improve my left foot technique with cowbell ostinatos and never moved it, and B: it keeps my hands and my kick drum free to keep a groove going whilst still accenting.

I like the cowbell on the hoop of my bass drum
I like the block on my hat stand just below my hats.

i have my cowbell in between my bass and my floor tom using a pedal to hit ( i have 7 toms)
and my block in between my hi-hat and my 2nd snare using a kick pedal to hit

I move my cowbell around a lot. Sometimes I mount it on the kick drum rim and sometimes on one of the cymbal stands to my right. Lately I've had it mounted on my hihat stand and played it with my left hand.

Experiment with it, and you'll soon find a comfortable spot that works for you :)

Back