• billy crystal.jpg
    billy crystal.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 0

cbphoto

Gold Member
One of these is not like the other.

20CAF257-66B1-402E-AF1D-8618978B3A2E.jpeg

loach71

Wow today is my 65th birthday and I've been home alone all day and my wife dealing with her parents one of which is having surgery Wednesday. Anyways my three daughters made me a video to watch and then we did a family Google duo to celebrate virtually. Oh man the video was awesome and most touching of any birthday gifts I've ever received-though we weren't able to actually touch. I was just thinking we usually have a big party with a bunch of people, cook out, eat cake, etc, but this unique opportunity they got very creative and made me the best visual/virtual gift from their hearts-saying things that don't usually come up in a conversation. Feeling blessed today. I guess a little bit of silver lining.
HBD! ?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I thought these were some nice transmission electron micrographs of Vero cells infected with SARS CoV-2. You can see vesicles filled with the nano-death demons in C and D a close up of virus particles. I've always been a visual person so like to see it isn't invisible and isn't invulnerable (just need to figure out how) .
It takes a lot of work to generate these images-since cells grown in a monolayer in culture you are "fixing" and embed in a plastic and then have to make electron dense with osmium tetroxide and uranyl acetate after ultrathin sectioning with a diamond knife and microtome-you floats the sections on water and determine thickness by interference-like oil on water so want silver or gold, then lift off on grids to put in microscope and generate a vacuum so the electrons can easily travel through specimen casting.a shadow basically of the contents. You can even do immunostaining detecting specific proteins using iron-bound antibodies, however immunostaing generally works better on light microscopic level. When I was working on MS I took a light and electron microscopic course and it was the most fun I've ever had-the skill really helped me rest of career. The TEM I learned on was ancient and donated to school-it was like sitting in a submarine looking through the scope. I always thought about the Fantastic Voyage movie and I was an Inner Space traveler LOL. Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 9.20.49 AM.png

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Everything is better wrapped in "Bacon". My wife brings home the bacon, fries it up in a pan, and then she lets me know I"m ma........A loser who didn't bring home the bacon or fry. My Bad LOL

rhumbagirl

Brian, it's never too late to learn biology. It's a wonderful journey into life.

Mate.......do an adult course at college or online.

You will absolutely love it I reckon.
In order to be of any real help, he'll need (in this order):
Calculus
Statistics
Physics
Chemistry
Organic Chemistry

Benthedrummer

Calculus
Statistics
Physics
Chemistry
Organic Chemistry

Yeah true........I needed all that to get into human biology.

Our nursing degree here is a bachelor of science, so there's added stuff like pharmacology etc.

But there's some amazing courses for anyone which can be a real exciting journey into biology.

That......or just watch every David Attenborough documentary. My utter and total hero.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I took an introductory Survey Bio course in 1973 my first year in college-the professor was the husband of my high school English teacher and was a cool dude-we went frog gigging with him. Well that course covered about everything I was to ever learn about-just learned about it all in more detail as I went along. It was awesome and I was hooked on the biological worrd and already had an interest being a nature nut. Physics and Chemistry were great but all that came together for me in Biochemistry. Now in college I took Biochemistry as an undergrad-but cause I jumped around various colleges in grad and they wouldn't transfer some credits-I had to take it again-and again-and again, and again which was the last time I took it. This last time my PhD grad school class was the same testing pool as my wife's medical school class (which she was straight As number one in her class) and I made the highest grade (I mean out of the ball park highest grade-surprised me to no end I'm terrible with testing. That created some animosity from medical students, and I finally beat my wife at something with a higher grade. Now dang I tried to tell them I've had the freaking course half a dozen times. I created this cheat sheet flow map for all metabolism-anabolism and catabolism of all biomolecules which I had perfected during that journey and I had shared with her class. But no that didn't matter to them-the medical school students had this elitist attitude they were top tier and all the PhD, Dentist, pharmacist, nurses, etc were people who couldn't get into med school -like no one would want to be anything other than a physician. I came from a family of physicians and there was just no way in hell I'd join up with their lifestyle (or I should say a lack of it-a bunch of workaholics)- and I didn't feel medicine was science at that time-it was more an art. They treated cancer and I had ambitions to cure it. I'm insanely healthy so don't like being around sick people and after reading my Dad's medical journals as a kid I developed this hypochondria that now is a standing joke I've been dying of cancer the last 55 years LOL.. I had a germ phobia cultivated by my older brothers that I didn't get over till I had lil babies puking, crapping, and peeing in my face. I was 34 when first child was born-I probably hadn't even had a cold in 5 years or more but soon as one baby in daycare I caught every coootie known to man and was sick for first three years-my immunity had to do some catch up. Lots of colds, caught thrush , caught a viral conjunctivitis that was the worse, it was an onslaught of sickness. I had no idea little kids were such germ factories.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Calculus
Statistics
Physics
Chemistry
Organic Chemistry

I have physics. I did go to college already. I have all my math and science classes out of the way for architecture or engineering, I just never went back. Got burnt out. Got the associates part, the bachelors, masters, and PhD are on hold until I decide I wanna do a bunch of homework again.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
After going to college "contiguously" (there was one 2 year hiatus) from 1973 to 1992 my wife forbade me from going back. I'd go back in minute-though now my noggin don't work like it use to. But I really loved taking different classes-I've never been very focused. And I always thought about getting a law and music degree. Fight injustice (I really love to argue and debate-though I don't do that here) and I just love music (really my first love my Mom planted that seed). But alas I got married so that forced me to try to be anything other than a student LOL. You know Mr Polack you are plenty bright enough to teach yourself and progress a lot in knowledge base-my mentors really helped me in ways unrelated to knowledge. I was already a flaming arrow so they just need to point me in the right direction. But society recognizes that piece of paper-I've never hung up any of them till this last two years in this house my wife hung my PhD in our library. I think I lost the other two LOL. Biology is really different that physics or chemistry though it's fundamental to it-not may laws because always some exception to rule. Though there are some like Murray's law for branching of trees or blood vessels. But your physics will serve you well-even for chemistry cause it's still physics just at the molecular level. It always bothered me most undergrad text books explain a membrane potential and action potential in qualitative terms of ion channels and ionic pumps-but the physics of it is quantitive and based on Nernst equation and Boltzmann equation and understanding the physics. It makes way more sense.

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
After going to college "contiguously" (there was one 2 year hiatus) from 1973 to 1992 my wife forbade me from going back. I'd go back in minute-though now my noggin don't work like it use to. But I really loved taking different classes-I've never been very focused. And I always thought about getting a law and music degree. Fight injustice (I really love to argue and debate-though I don't do that here) and I just love music (really my first love my Mom planted that seed). But alas I got married so that forced me to try to be anything other than a student LOL.

My parents did it right. They both worked for the university, so they were able to continue their educations at will for close to free.

I was the last to go to school. All my siblings went to college immediately after HS. I waited until my 30s. I am the first one however, parents included, to pay off a home. That to me is more important than any degree I could ever get. A degree will help me understand stuff better. A home means my wife, kid, and myself will always have a place to go.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
My parents did it right. They both worked for the university, so they were able to continue their educations at will for close to free.

I was the last to go to school. All my siblings went to college immediately after HS. I waited until my 30s. I am the first one however, parents included, to pay off a home. That to me is more important than any degree I could ever get. A degree will help me understand stuff better. A home means my wife, kid, and myself will always have a place to go.
Absolute right priority and much respect for choice. Though “Mr Mom” killed all my plans , or I should say delusions of grandeur, it was best experience and one of few times I made a good decision. I was last male in family to go to college-and I was a red hot mess black sheep of family that barely got through grade and high school. Puberty and testosterone really walloped a logical brain I had been cultivating so I was wild till mid 20s. The family decree- “Arthur is just Wild as a March hen!” Which WTH does that mean and being a Wild One sounds like a compliment to me LOL. But I've been blessed due to my "experimental medicinal intervention and experimentation" into my brain biochemistry such my logical brain returned, and I survived without a single conviction for any crime, no illegitimate children, no venereal disease, no debt, I didn't maim or kill anyone, and miraculous I had enough neurons left in my brain I didn't kill to go on and get a MS and PhD. Yep blessed indeed.

Last edited:

AzHeat

Platinum Member

Some of the most brilliant and successful people I know never went to college. As a result, they were never taught to "trust" experts, or turn off their brains to logic and reason. They accumulated no debt and have spent time positively impacting their communities. Unless studying to be a doctor, attorney, clinician or something that absolutely requires higher education, focusing on learning the business of interest generally renders the best mileage. I wasted 10 years in school and only my own hard work and dedication has gotten me as far as it has.

In contrast, some of the dumbest and most destructive people I've met have had masters and doctorates degrees. Their brains are essentially off and then snub their noses at anything resembling logic or reason, unless it's published by one of their peers. Total waste of human lives.

You're not missing out and have done way better than most. If Biology is that important, there's no time better than now to learn it. No need to pay big bucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.