Covering drums in fur

Jankowske

My first kit was a frankenstein's monster of three different crappy drum sets, and I wasn't in love with the red/white/black combination. Also all of the finishes were old and nasty (think peeling, wrinkly wrap and flaky paint). I found this awesome article http://www.instructables.com/id/Cover-your-drums-in-FUR/?ALLSTEPS and decided to do it myself (you can see my drums there in the comments there). I got some nice thick mythological animal fur at joanne's, and it only took about an hour per drum to disassemble, cut the fur, sew the seam, pull the "sock" over, and re-assemble each drum.

Before:

After:

Note the 28" deep bass drum. For all you deep kick haters, I get that an 18" can be some kind of dubious grey-area. But you haven't lived until you've played a deep kick. I couldn't find pictures of before it was wrapped, but I joined two shells and I did a pretty good job. That's another thread for another day.

Also I somehow got all the brown stripes to end up in the same spot on all the toms, and two evenly-spaced stripes on the kit. I don't think I planned for it; I just accidentally cut it perfectly.

So yeah. Cover your drums in fur if you want hot girls constantly asking to pet your kit. I think this only cost me about $30, a few hours, and no glue. All I needed was a screwdriver and a sewing machine (and hand-sewing this wouldn't be that bad). I'd say the aesthetic improvement was over 9000.

Happy to answer any questions. And I know there's more of you DW-ers out there who have done this, so share your pics and experiences here!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
That is one serious bass drum you got there fella. Is that a 24" diameter? I like bass drums of all depths. Short, medium, long. They all have something to offer. I'd like to hear that cannon, holy crap.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
I have heard many people say that the fur damps the sustain of the drum. They are probably great sounding if you are trying to get that '70's rock sound.

Jankowske

That is one serious bass drum you got there fella. Is that a 24" diameter? I like bass drums of all depths. Short, medium, long. They all have something to offer. I'd like to hear that cannon, holy crap.
22" diameter; I made it out of two 22x14" shells. One was maybe a gretsch blackhawk. The other was old, thin-ish maple with no re-rings, had a rail tom mount bar thing, and somebody painted white over a fat silvery sparkle. Lugs and maybe rods and claws on the drum are from the older shell; any brand ideas?

Cannon is right. I have yet to hear a more brutal bass drum in person, and I'm way better at tuning now than I was then. SKII batter, ported emperor reso, and a pillow most of the time, and that thing punched your guts.

I sold this kit when I got my X7s three or four years ago. Huge improvement everywhere except sheer bass power.

I have heard many people say that the fur damps the sustain of the drum. They are probably great sounding if you are trying to get that '70's rock sound.
The toms were from a philippine mahogany/lauan cosmic percussion kit, and the kick was a bastard of maple and poplar or basswood. All cheap, seen-better-days drums with plastic wraps. After taking the wraps off and putting the fur on I honestly couldn't tell if they were any "deader", granted my hearing was a little less critical at the time and I can tune better now. This kit was only ever tuned to thump and pound and it still had decent sustain. I'm sure fur might noticeably dampen a more resonant shell, but for thicker plywood or a beater kit, I don't think the fur is any worse than a plastic wrap.