Cover of Bullet the Blue Sky by U2

MykeyInChains

My newly formed band decided to cover Bullet the Blue Sky and we spend the majority of this evening learning and recording it. We kinda were reverb-happy but we kinda liked the real live sound and we recorded it all in one take, with all the mics going into a mixer with a usb stereo out. We are a 3 piece band, Drummer, Guitarist and Singer. You may wonder where the bass fits in? Well I programmed the bass guitar on my laptop and put the entire track of the bass into my Roland SPD-S along with a click track to sync it all and it worked out quite well, considering we played and recorded it all together.

Any constructive criticism will be much appreciated.

P.S. I know the fill half way through is a bit much, but hey, its just a fun cover.

http://www.myspace.com/oftheearthband
or
http://www.filefreak.com/pfiles/82515/Bullet%20The%20Blue%20Sky.mp3

Last edited:
Bullet the Blue Sky is one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite non-jazz groups. This is an excellent cover of it. At first I would have said you should either use heavier hats or just play more open on them, but then the band's groove as a whole struck me as a lot more minimalist than the U2 recording. So kudos on that.

That being said, I do feel that there is a very tiny little something missing. The rhythmic sense is great among the band, however the only reason that I am able to hear the chord changes well is because I know the song. You would get a bigger sense of melody and the changes would stand out more if you (a) turned up the bass and (b) recorded another guitar track beneath the existing one, with a greater emphasis on texture and chord changes.

But thats just nitpicking... This is really a pretty impressive cover, its different from the original and I like that. Your snare sounds good.

Bullet the Blue Sky is one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite non-jazz groups. This is an excellent cover of it. At first I would have said you should either use heavier hats or just play more open on them, but then the band's groove as a whole struck me as a lot more minimalist than the U2 recording. So kudos on that.

That being said, I do feel that there is a very tiny little something missing. The rhythmic sense is great among the band, however the only reason that I am able to hear the chord changes well is because I know the song. You would get a bigger sense of melody and the changes would stand out more if you (a) turned up the bass and (b) recorded another guitar track beneath the existing one, with a greater emphasis on texture and chord changes.

But thats just nitpicking... This is really a pretty impressive cover, its different from the original and I like that. Your snare sounds good.

Thanks for the input.

I agree completely with what you said. There is something missing, its hard to pick out what it is. There are so many layers to the song, especially on the guitar parts. The bass track was 100% computer generated so next time we play it, ill just turn the knob on my SPD-S and we'll be good hehe. Thanks again.

Back