Cover Funk/Dance band kick drums sound advices

Quai34

Kick drum sound for a recording session
Kick Drum Sound for a recording session

Ok, so, you know what kind of music we play (Setlist attached) and if we would play more personal instrumental music, it will be jazz rock/Fusion and jazz...
But, could you describe to me what are the main characteristics of kick sound for each other type of music below and which one could be use for more than one style, while not being the most average all around kit sound:

Metal: just the click, very short boom, medium or high pitched etc?
Jazz: losing boomy resonant kick with a lot of low end or?
Funk: Ok, tell me?
Dance: Same, tell me?
Jazz rock and rock ditto, let me know what kind of kick sound I should reach out for, for each type is music.

Based on that, what would be the main characteristics I should be focus on our kick sound for the covers we play we play?

Should it be a good attack in the low medium but not too clicky with only high medium as they seem to have in Metal?
I think I need a nice thump that should be the foundation in vibration and vibe for the bass guitar to sit on, while the bass will have also some extra high to play the slap bass parts...but the kick should be the link to the bass drums in term of frequencies in our music or should it be completely separate in Term of frequency range?

The the boom, the resonance, what lengtht, what volume, short sustain, medium etc....

And then, based on what you would have told me what would be the heads I should buy if we don't know the sound of it...

Could you give me your advices on that?
Thanks

Attachments

• JSDB FINAL 6 ORDER FOR WEDDING SHOW.pdf
    83.1 KB · Views: 4

Lee-Bro

My group plays a lot of the same songs as you do. As you know, the kick drum sound in "In The Air Tonight" and "Valerie" are worlds apart.

No one has ever come up to me and said, "your bass drum sound doesn't fit what you're doing." The only time I haven't liked my bass drum sound is when we had a sound engineer fill-in last minute and he mixed us like a 4pc rock band -we're an 8pc w/ horns.

I play a DW Collectors maple kit, 22x18 w/ an EMAD batter, a custom printed reso head (that's about as thick as the EMAD) w/ an internally mounted Audix D6. Most of the time my kick (and the rest of my kit) sounds like those on "Uptown Funk" with an initial quick slap-type attack, not to be confused w/ the metal click.

*edited for grammar.

Last edited:

Quai34

My group plays a lot of the same songs as you do. As you know, the kick drum sound in "In The Air Tonight" and "Valerie" are worlds apart.

No one has ever come up to me and said, "you're bass drum sound" doesn't fit what you're doing. The only time I haven't liked my bass drum sound is when we had a sound engineer fill-in last minute and he mixed us like a 4pc rock band -we're an 8pc w/ horns.

I play a DW Collectors maple kit, 22x18 w/ an EMAD batter, a custom printed reso head (that's about as thick as the EMAD) w/ an internally mounted Audix D6. Most of the time my kick (and the rest of my kit) sounds like those on "Uptown Funk" with an initial quick slap-type attack, not to be confused w/ the metal click.
Ok, yes for the two songs you have mentioned, it was more in a recording setting for songs like uptown funk...And I have the Emad on the kick, large foam I think, I bought it with this on it...

Last edited: