Could you recommend double bass pedal beaters (or an alternative) for quiet practice?

beatdat

Hi, my home practice is limited to my throne, a practice pad on a stand and a double bass pedal connected to a Gibraltar GBDP bass drum pad.

One of my practice pads is the RTOM Moon Gel Pad, which is very quiet and can be played at all hours without disturbing anyone in the house.

My double bass pedal is a Tama Speed Cobra, which come with the Accu-Strike Cobra Beaters. When played with the Gibraltar bass drum pad, the sound is pretty loud, and I can't play it at night. I've put a felt pad on the pad where each beater hits, but that has only quieted the sound a bit - not enough to allow me to keep practicing at night.

Tama offers a Soft Sound Beater, but from what I've read, two of them probably won't fit on a double bass pedal.

Can anyone recommend bass drum beaters that are quiet enough for late night practicing and will fit on a double bass pedal? In the alternative, is there anything I can do quiet the pedal even more?

Thanks

alparrott

Platinum Member
With a bass drum pad/pedal, a lot of the problem is coming from the impact vibrations traveling down into the floor and then on to other parts of the structure, so no matter what you do to deaden the impact point, it's still going to cause issues underneath you or to either side of you.

The best bet is to find some way to isolate the pedal from the floor. Many folks have extolled the virtue of tennis ball risers in the past (and a quick Google hunt will find you some plans for such a thing). Other than tennis balls, stacks of foam or similar not-dense cushioning material could be used to isolate two pieces of plywood from each other; throw your rig on the top layer and away you go.

calan

Silver Member
Aside from the low end transmission issue mentioned above, your issue is with the playing surface, not the beater.

It's the same principle behind silent stroke heads, super pads, etc. You might be better off seeing if you can mod the playing surface with something like the super pad, repurpose a drum with a silent practice option, or make your own contraption a la Jojo Mayer.

beatdat

With a bass drum pad/pedal, a lot of the problem is coming from the impact vibrations traveling down into the floor and then on to other parts of the structure, so no matter what you do to deaden the impact point, it's still going to cause issues underneath you or to either side of you.
Thanks for replying.

The thing is, I practice in the basement of our home, which I have all to myself, so there is no one below me or to the side of me. Everyone else in the house sleeps on the second floor.

I know that they can't hear me practicing on the moon gel pad at night, because I've asked and no one says they can hear me (I'm pretty sure I'd get an earful if it were keeping anyone up or waking them up at night).

I have on occasion played the bass drum pad heel down at night as quietly as possibly without issue, but I haven't tried using the bass drum pad at night at normal playing volumes (i.e heel up not burying the beater), as I don't want to risk rousing anyone from their sleep.

So, given the above (i.e. no one below me or to the side of me), do you think a riser is still what I need or could different beaters help?

beatdat

Aside from the low end transmission issue mentioned above, your issue is with the playing surface, not the beater.

It's the same principle behind silent stroke heads, super pads, etc. You might be better off seeing if you can mod the playing surface with something like the super pad, repurpose a drum with a silent practice option, or make your own contraption a la Jojo Mayer.
Thanks for your reply as well.

Adding the felt pads to the pad surface helped a bit. I'm wondering if adding them to the pedal would help as well. I had silent stroke heads on my kit last year, and am under the impression that they were quieter than my Gibraltar bass pad. Thing is, my kit is now at the rehearsal space, and even if I still had it at home, there's no room to set up a bass drum where I now practice.

So, do you know of any other way I can mod the playing surface of my bass pad aside from adding the felt pads (which helped a bit)? I'm not sure that a super pad or anything of the sort will fit on the Gibraltar bass pad.

I'll look up Jojo Mayer's contraption.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Apart from things like the Futz pedals that don't feel real there's my solution which is the smallest Super-Pad that I mounted to my old Realfeel stand. Feels pretty real and the thick foam dampens a lot of the impact. Could probably do a similar thing with a Black Hole if you found a way to mount it.

beatdat

Apart from things like the Futz pedals that don't feel real there's my solution which is the smallest Super-Pad that I mounted to my old Realfeel stand. Feels pretty real and the thick foam dampens a lot of the impact. Could probably do a similar thing with a Black Hole if you found a way to mount it.
Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions.

I looked up that Futz pedal, and you know what, I probably wouldn't mind having one in the office or to take with me if I travelled much.

I've heard good things about the Super Pad, and if I can find a way to fit one on my Gibraltar bass pad, I'll definitely consider it. But it'd be a little bit reckless of me to spend money on a new pad like the Real Feel stand as I only bought the Gibraltar one a few months ago.

So, any ideas on different beaters? Does anyone think a soft felt beater would be quieter than the hard rubber beater that comes with the Speed Cobras?

Naigewron

Platinum Member
I've used these DW practise pedals in the past, and they definitely seem to make a lot less moise and transmit less vibrations through the floor. YMMV.

Attachments

fl.tom

So, any ideas on different beaters? Does anyone think a soft felt beater would be quieter than the hard rubber beater that comes with the Speed Cobras?
I would. I use a DW pad set (Go Anywhere) for quiet practice and the kick pad is probably noisier than your Gibraltar... it's fundamentally just a rubber pad over a steel plate.

I initially tried my SC pedal (w/ Accu-Strike beater) thinking the rubber to rubber contact might be quiet. Then tried adding several layers of moleskin to the pad... and then switched to a Yamaha pedal with medium felt beater. Then replaced the beater with a DW large felt (SM102) and removed the moleskin patches. The added felt thickness (diameter and height) of the latter provided the quietest attack w/o changing the weight significantly. However, it is most likely too big/wide for a double pedal and some may consider it too heavy.

To better maintain the feel of your setup, it may be best to look for a beater with a narrow profile and deep felt head. One option might be the Tama Power-Strike beater that comes with the newer Iron Cobra. You can buy just the head and replace your Accu-Strike:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BPRXG1G

Or buy the whole beater:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCO4MBG

I have heard of some complaints of the felt coming unglued, but would think a strong epoxy could easily remedy that.

Another option might be the Yamaha BT-910 beater... great quality, quick and lightweight:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0098FT6BC

beatdat

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The TAMA Power-Strike Cobra Beater looks promising.

What about Vater’s Vintage Bomber Bass Drum Beater (say that three times quickly)? Anyone think it'll be quieter than what I'm using now? Here's a link: https://www.vater.com/#!/product/281

fl.tom

Have one of the Vater Bombers too... it's softer than the DW SM102 and would be more quiet... but like the DW, I doubt you'll get two of them side-by-side on your SC double pedal.

bud7h4

Silver Member
Thanks for the replies everyone.

The TAMA Power-Strike Cobra Beater looks promising.

What about Vater’s Vintage Bomber Bass Drum Beater (say that three times quickly)? Anyone think it'll be quieter than what I'm using now? Here's a link: https://www.vater.com/#!/product/281

I play Speed Cobras too, and they do hit HARD. Very difficult to keep the volume down.
I swapped the beaters for those Power-Strike Cobra Beaters, which are the same beater with felt instead of rubber, and they are noticeably quieter but still NOT quiet.

For a much quieter beater I use KAT Percussion KT-TBB Silent Strike beaters. But because of the diameter of the beaters, they are too close together on Tama pedals (just barely). So I adjust the right beater very slightly to the right which works fine.

fl.tom

For a much quieter beater I use KAT Percussion KT-TBB Silent Strike beaters. But because of the diameter of the beaters, they are too close together on Tama pedals (just barely). So I adjust the right beater very slightly to the right which works fine.
Nice work. So these beater heads have more of an oblong shape rather than perfectly round?

Last edited:

beatdat

I play Speed Cobras too, and they do hit HARD. Very difficult to keep the volume down.
I swapped the beaters for those Power-Strike Cobra Beaters, which are the same beater with felt instead of rubber, and they are noticeably quieter but still NOT quiet.

Yeah, the SC is a fast and hard hitting pedal.

A pair of those KAT beaters look like they are just what I need, but I have the new SC double pedals (i.e. the one with the "gold" inlay), and I'm not sure that the beaters can be moved to the left or the right. Do you know if it's possible on the new pedals?

bud7h4

Silver Member
A pair of those KAT beaters look like they are just what I need, but I have the new SC double pedals (i.e. the one with the "gold" inlay), and I'm not sure that the beaters can be moved to the left or the right. Do you know if it's possible on the new pedals?
My SC are the new ones. Just use the same setting for adjusting beater angle and you can nudge it to the right.

Now this may not even be necessary. On mine, these beaters don't actually make contact but they are so close together that the fuzz on the surface of the tennis balls makes "contact".
To me this minor adjustment is well worth the result. These are very quiet beaters.

beatdat

My SC are the new ones. Just use the same setting for adjusting beater angle and you can nudge it to the right.

Now this may not even be necessary. On mine, these beaters don't actually make contact but they are so close together that the fuzz on the surface of the tennis balls makes "contact".
To me this minor adjustment is well worth the result. These are very quiet beaters.
Thanks, good to know! Going to head down to the local music shop in the next week or so to check them out.

beatdat

So I picked up a TAMA Soft Sound Beater, and I have to admit that it is almost dead quiet and doesn't seem to sacrifice any feel or speed. A salesperson dissuaded me from buying any type of regular beater for quiet practice as they thought none of them would be suitable for late night practice.

But, two TAMA beaters most certainly won't fit onto a double pedal; instead, I swap out the beater from one pedal to the other when I want to practice my other foot.

I think I may look into buying another single pedal, bass drum pad and beater if I want to practice double bass. That's several hundred dollars away, but may be worth it given just how quiet this beater is.

I hope TAMA takes it upon themselves to make a double pedal version of this beater. Their website doesn't seem to have any feedback option, so I was wondering if anyone knew how to contact them and let them know that they should think about it.