Cotton shirt under rim to reduce volume.

Vinny

Thought I might post this in case anyone was interested. I tried this with a used Percussion Plus floor tom I just bought.

Just as an experiment, I cut out a round section from a white cotton tee shirt. I removed the head from the floor tom and placed section of tee shirt over the over the shell then replaced the head and rim.
I'm guessing the volume dropped in half with no loss of rebound. It does affect the tone somewhat, but IMO it's way better than rubber drum mutes.

I'm curious to hear any thoughts or if anyone else has tried this.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I did that in the early '70s, but more as a way to capture the muffled and articulate tom sounds that were popular on recordings then.

Bermuda

incrementalg

Gold Member
Thought I might post this in case anyone was interested. I tried this with a used Percussion Plus floor tom I just bought.

Just as an experiment, I cut out a round section from a white cotton tee shirt. I removed the head from the floor tom and placed section of tee shirt over the over the shell then replaced the head and rim.
I'm guessing the volume dropped in half with no loss of rebound. It does affect the tone somewhat, but IMO it's way better than rubber drum mutes.

I'm curious to hear any thoughts or if anyone else has tried this.
I know a guy that did this on all his toms because he wanted them to sound as thuddy as possible. It certainly worked, but all of his heads dented more easily over time. Did you stretch the shirt over the whole shell or just a part of it?

Superman

Gold Member
Wasn't this just posted in another thread on the same topic? I personally wouldn't do this, it would affect the heads and change the response. Pads would be a better option.

Vinny

Did you stretch the shirt over the whole shell or just a part of it?
Hi incrementalg

Yes, I covered the entire shell.

However, I did not "stretch" the shirt over the rim because I did not want the shirt contacting the center of the head. Rather, I simply laid the shirt across the rim.

It should be noted that I am a total novice and only seeking advice/opinions from you guys regarding this modification. (definitely not trying to give advice)

Vinny

Wasn't this just posted in another thread on the same topic? I personally wouldn't do this, it would affect the heads and change the response. Pads would be a better option.
Hi Superman,

Yes, I did mention this in a thread posted by someone looking for low volume ideas. I didn't want to hijack his thread with my own questions so I started this thread. My apologies.

I am a beginner so can you explain how it affects the heads and what does the term "response" mean ?

Also, when you mention pads as a better option do you mean something like sound off mutes. Can you recommend any pads you like?

Thanks,

Vinny