Cotton Balls in the Floor Tom or Not?

I-P

I forget where I read, saw, or heard, about this little trick.
What are your opinions on putting a few cotton balls into a floor tom?

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Highly recomnended. I put 6-8 cotton balls inside each floor tom.
Doesn't muffle the sound or volume, just shortens the long low tone from 5 seconds back to 2 or 3.
If you have that really long tone from a floor tom, it comes from the bottom head. This is a really effective fix.

TK-421

A new moongel will defy gravity by sticking to the underside of a bottom head (though a well-used one won't). I use one on the bottom of my 12" and 14" toms, and it does a good job of keeping excess resonance in check. I've never tried cotton balls, but I suspect that the effect would be minimal at best.

cdar

Tried this and it works well enough. I pushed them thru the vent hole easy enough but these days just using rings on top the batter…

No Way Jose

Silver Member
I tried it. Didn't like it so I took them out.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
I'd try bits of magic eraser-it's sound proofing material. I wonder how affixing magic erasers to inside of shell would dampen or alter overtones? Like a mini-bass drum pillow for toms (velcro so can remove easily). I'll call it Mr. Art's Magic Overtone Eraser. ROFL.

bearblastbeats

Nah. Too permanent. The most muffling I've done recently was folded gorilla tape on the head.
Or a wallet in the snare.
I like my drums wide open.

lefty2

Platinum Member
Well they can work good the problem is , is you cannot adjust them on the fly. On some stages my floor Tom's really sing and on other stages they do not sing much at all and I need to remove dampening as well as my stick bag sometimes.

roncadillac

They never worked that great for me, I could always hear them bouncing around. We've got a huge selection of fantastic modern heads and if all else fails... Moon gel or tape.

JimmyM

Gold Member
I was tempted to do it until my first gig, when I realized how much better it sounded to leave my drums unmuffled. I’m not against muffling at all, but I’ve come to embrace the ring.

Reactions: I-P

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Benny Greb does it.

I don't.

You d....

Justinhub2003

Silver Member
I really like Evans Coated Reso 7 bottom head on my toms with just 1 or 2 cotton balls in floor tom. That in combo with an Evans G2 clear on top or Emperor Clear on top sounds really great to me. I get the warmth of a coated head BUT still get the attack and slap of a clear head.

Well they can work good the problem is , is you cannot adjust them on the fly ...
I suppose ... if so inclinded, that one could possibly thread them onto a length of cotton line (thinking that monofilament fishing line might 'buzz') and stuff them in that way, leaving the tag end of the line outside the vent hole tied to a nylon washer (again for no 'buzz').

lefty2

Platinum Member
I suppose ... if so inclinded, that one could possibly thread them onto a length of cotton line (thinking that monofilament fishing line might 'buzz') and stuff them in that way, leaving the tag end of the line outside the vent hole tied to a nylon washer (again for no 'buzz').
That's a good idea.